Topic: Joe playing Led Zeps dazed and Confused

I love that little stint that Joe did playing the small part of Dazed and Confused! Hell, I wish he would take it one step further and whip out the bow harp like Jimmy Page did. Ill bet Joe could do a great job with the bow!! Anyone else like to see Joe do this?? I think it would bring the roof down! Now theres a new one for ya Joe! Play the bow harp with your guitar!!

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

2 (edited by David 2006-12-10 17:45:51)

Re: Joe playing Led Zeps dazed and Confused

I remember Page had a fit when the guitarist of Whitesnake did that.

Edited to add: Though that would be a good way to get publicity. smile

3 (edited by David A. 2006-12-11 08:11:58)

zosozep7 wrote:

I love that little stint that Joe did playing the small part of Dazed and Confused! Hell, I wish he would take it one step further and whip out the bow harp like Jimmy Page did. Ill bet Joe could do a great job with the bow!! Anyone else like to see Joe do this?? I think it would bring the roof down! Now theres a new one for ya Joe! Play the bow harp with your guitar!!

Rob

I saw Jimmy use the bow in March of 1970!  (oops dating myself)

Music is good for the Soul...

David wrote:

I remember Page had a fit when the guitarist of Whitesnake did that.

Edited to add: Though that would be a good way to get publicity. smile

I dont think Page would have a fit if Joe did it. Joe would only be doing it as a tribute like to Jimmy. If Joe was using the bow to promote himself and incorporating it into his own songs That would be a little different. White Snake was using the bow in their own songs.

Rob

There's a kid also out of Upstate New York called Randy McStine who does just that and sings it too (a little deeper than Robert Plant)...I think he graduates High School this Spring.

My observation would be this. A bow is no damn different than a pick. If you want to use it then do so. Does Jimmy own the rights to a violin bow. NO HE DOES NOT. Joe offers his own uniqueness. He does not "copy" other guitarists? He pays tribute to them in a very fine fashion. It's his choice and up until now it's been NO BOW.

Joe also doesn't play with his teeth, light his guitar on fire, do windmills, etc... I'd rather he pay tribute to the artists he covers in his own unique "Joe" style.

Good point Rick Soike & Belexes! Some of us are not teenagers anymore. Haha!

If I remember correctly someone suggested it to Jimmy in the first place. Wasn't even his idea. I heard that in an interview somewhere.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Deezer wrote:

If I remember correctly someone suggested it to Jimmy in the first place. Wasn't even his idea. I heard that in an interview somewhere.

I had read the samething years ago that one of the band members Fathers kind of came up with the idea and Jimmy tried it and the rest was history. Using a bow harp is like using a pick. Nobody owns the rights to using the harp as someone else stated here.

Rob

Yeah, but Jimmy made it popular so he has a say. Just like Eddie Van Halen made two hand tapping popular. When someone talks about two hand tapping, someone always thinks of Eddie first - even though he didn't originate it. Same with Hendrix and behind the back playing - even though he wasn't the first one to do it.

David wrote:

Yeah, but Jimmy made it popular so he has a say. Just like Eddie Van Halen made two hand tapping popular. When someone talks about two hand tapping, someone always thinks of Eddie first - even though he didn't originate it. Same with Hendrix and behind the back playing - even though he wasn't the first one to do it.

Page definetly made it popular. Thats for sure. All I was pointing out to begin this whole thread is that if Joe is playing a small part of Dazed and Confused, I think it would be cool in my mind to see Joe use the harp as a tribute to Jimmy. Im really not trying to make this a pissing contest as this board at times seems to participate in that activity. I simply state my opinion and it is only my opinion. Page is one of my guitar idols and has been for years. I read comments on how Page ripped off other musicians and Page was sloppy and that is cool if that is anothers opinion but please dont cram it down my throat as I really try and respect others opinions. (David, Im not directing this at you) I pretty much will listen to just about any guitar player for different styles. I really enjoy going into Guitar Center not to buy guitars or look at guitars but to listen to all the different styles that people bring to the table. There are a ton of great guitarists out there that will never ever get recognized.
I welcome peoples input on newer guitar players here on the board. after all I discovered Mato, Sardinas and Lang all here on this board thanks to some great reviews people have written here! In my book, there is no such thing as The Greatest Guitar Player. There all good.

Rob

Yeah, but my main point is that everything has a precedent in music.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

saw Joe do part of Dazed in an extended version of Tush at the Mohican blues fest. it was great.the dude can play anything he wants.
Budman

my apologies, he was playing an extended version of just got paid today. did anyone get a tape of that show?