Topic: Help question on intonation of accoustic!

Anybody here can please help me with a problem on my accoustic? I am having problems with the intonation. I tune the guitar but when I play say a D chord, I can tell its off! I also noticed that if I tune my top E string, then use that to tune the A string, my chromatic tuner shows that it is off slightly. Is this normal? Can you do a intonation on a accoustic?

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

Re: Help question on intonation of accoustic!

See my post under "G string..."

Life was just a fist of change... tossed in the water just in case.

what guage of string is it, and was there a time when this wasn't a problem?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

4 (edited by gsj 2006-12-15 17:24:34)

Check the nut, is it too high? Are the strings in need of replacing? Technically (and mathmatically) a guitar will never be perfectly in tune along the entire length of the fingerboard....even with the Buzz Feiton system (although the Buzz Lightyear system goes to infinity and beyond). It is very much a case of compromise between notes at various positions on the neck. Check it with your local luthier.

You can improve the intonation on an acoustic by altering the exact point where the string leaves the saddle. Much harder than on an electric though.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Thanks for all your inputs! I just bought this Martin and it is a Guiatr Center excluisive. The guitar is absolutely beautiful with abalone around the entire body and the sound hole. There were only 100 made and this is number 21. It was used and I put a fresh set of Dean Markley Alchemys on. The frets do have some wear but it dont seem to effect the guitar at all. No buzzing etc. Like I said, I will tune it in and when I hit a D or a F chord it sounds like its way out of whack. The saddle looks to be in great shape. Is it possible someone could have put the saddle on backwards? I mean, if I flipped it around would this have a different impact or is the saddle made the same no matter what way you put it in the slot? I could allways take it back to Guitar Center but I really like this one!

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

Yeah it can be the nut. If its too high the strings will sit to high and when you play open chords low down on the neck it will bend them out of tune.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

If you've just bought it then take it back and insist (nicely) that they do something about it.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young