Topic: Raue Center Show

Joe, Mark and Bogie put on another great show last night. Joe said they were mixing up the order of the setlist...they started with You Upset me, Blues Deluxe, Bridge to Better Days...not sure what came next. I thought recent sets included Takin the Hit and The River, but those weren't on this setlist. Great show none the less!
Can't wait for Show #2 tonight.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Re: Raue Center Show

Bill,
How full was the Raue Center for that show? It sounded like you guys were working hard to get the word out since that show was just recently announced. Wish I could have made the trip down there for it.

The show at the Raue Center last night was GREAT!!  I was really happy to see a very good turnout, the theater was pretty full, even in the balcony so thank you to anyone who helped spread the word-

What I didn't know was that our Joe was here in town all week, giving BITS performances to over 5,000 students, who I am sure, will never be the same after seeing him- he had already given 6 performances to kids before we saw him last night, and I have to say, (while trying not to get sappy) that Joe is one artist I am so proud to support-  never have I met an artist so commited giving of his knowledge and teaching our CHILDREN to love music. As a mother it touched my heart to find out he had quietly been here all week dedicating his days to them. It was apparent last night the impact he has on kids- I saw a number of them at the show. 

Dennis was nice enough to give my kids copies of the setlist, so here it is:

You Upset Me
Blues Deluxe  (OMG- incredible)
Mountain Time
Bridge To Better Days
New Day Yesterday
Miss You Hate You
Woke Up Dreaming  (saw many jaws drop to his newest version of it, VERY impressive)
Had To Cry Today 
encore
Walk In My Shadows  (with awesome vocals of the last line of the song by our own Bill S. here on the forum)
Asking Around For You  (all I can say here is S.O.U.L. baby!! Joe, you got it DOWN with that one)

All I kept thinking through the whole show was, "What the Hell has gotten into Joe?" The guy just keeps getting better every time.  And he seems So much happier and into what he's doing on stage the past few months- I don't know what it is, professional, personal, whatever- just keep it up because we were feelin' it last night!

After the show, Joe was so nice to my kids, they all made him birthday cards and he sat there and read every one of them, shook their hands, gave them autographs, picks, and handed them each a calendar for remembering his birthday.  My son Ricky froze a little meeting his idol, especialy after Joe recognized him as the kid who dressed up as him for Halloween, but now he can't stop talking about him- it was a memorable night.

So thank you Joe, for a great show, and for all you do!

My wife and I saw Joe for the first time last night. What a tremendous guitar player! I picked up You and Me and So, It's Like That  at the show but I will be getting the rest of his catalog. Will definitely make it a point to see him again.

A.J.  I really appreciated your post in regard to the Raue Center Show.  Being so descriptive really helps us to stay in contact with what is currently going on with Joe.  Thanks for posting the Setlist as well.  It is amazing what a lasting impression an artist can have on a young one.  That is one thing that sets Joe apart...

Music is good for the Soul...

So Joe is doing Walk In My Shadows during the encore, and towards the end of the song, he's playing and singing and then sings the line... "when I get you in my shadow, baby..." and then the whole band stops on a beat and Joe says, "Alright, who knows it?!"

There's a few seconds of silence, until people start quietly murmuring the last line, probably too embarassed to sing it out loud and solo, when all of a sudden you hear this guy in the audience start singing at the top of his lungs, "I'M GONNA GIIIVE YOU WHAT'S IN STOOOOOOORE!!!" It was awesome! It made Joe stop and laugh, then he said "Give that guy a round of applause!" and the whole place went nuts- then Joe said, "see, the way he sang it, he won't be able to talk for a week! (laugh)Well, here's the way I sing it-"  and then he fnished up the song.  It was a lot of fun, Bill sang that line GREAT!  It was a really good time-

7 (edited by dknight16 2006-05-09 20:53:50)

My wife and I went to the first show (Friday, May 5th).  I was anxious to see "the new band" in action.  Joe was amazing - but that's no surprise.  But I gotta say, and no disrespect intended, Joe did not trade up with the addition of the new guys.  Eric especially was sorely missed by me.  He was so versatile and accomplished.  He was a perfect compliment to Joe's chops.  He made the band seem like a band, rather than 2 guys backing up Joe.  Eric played melody, chords, slap, harmonics, and what I like to affectionately call "lead bass"  It's the Jack Bruce and Geezer Butler style of bass.  The new guys is basically a back beat along the lines of a Tommy Shannon or an Andy Pyle.  I would guess that Joe was looking to get away from the rock feel of the old band and get a more traditional bluesy look and feel.

Sorry Joe, but that's how I feel.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

I've got to disagree with you dknight.  What with some of the grumbling on the board over the last few months I was a little bit curious about Mark and Bogey's chops going into the show Saturday, but I had no questions after it.  Bogey and Mark are both great, accomplished musicians and they rocked out imo.  I enjoyed Kenny and Eric's abilities and contributions, too, but there were times when I thought Eric's bass work overwhelmed and didn't really complement Joe's guitar work.  No offense intended as he is a great talent, but there was a bit of an oil and water quality at times.  I think Mark and Bogey are fantastic complements to Joe's talents and am excited to see what's to come in the future.

My wife, Mary and I went to the Crystal Lake show on Sat., May 6th from Colorado.  We had the opportunity to Bonabaptise 12 other new fans to the guys.  All are residents of the area, mostly from Elgiin.  It was a great show that gave us our first listen to songs from the new cd.
Most of us purchased You & Me after the show.  I personally enjoyed the version of Woke Up Dreamin'.  Great new jazzy style to the song.  The best part was watching the reaction of the new fans that we turned on to Joe.  It was great to see their enthusiasm during the show and after.  Some of them will definitely by spreading the word and looking for future shows in the Chicagoland/Wisconsin area.  Also, it was great to chat with Joe after the show.  He was as approachable and cordial as ever.  Our friends and new fans left very psyched and we went back to our friend's house to listen to the new cd all the way through.  Thanks again Joe for another great night and we hope you had a relaxing and happy birthday.  Aloha, Dave & Mary

Glad to hear the shows were great. I was supposed to attend but .... family calls ! Mom had an emergency surgery Fri night. Last year's show at the Raue was awesome... simply the best mix I have ever heard. See ya soon, Joe !

After reflecting on it for a few days, something that really stands out in my mind as great was the solo acoustic performance of Miss You Hate You and Woke Up Dreaming.  Followed closely by all of the rest of it.

Joe sold out the Saturday night show at the Raue; and the Friday night one on the 5th had to be added. As a volunteer at the Raue, I can tell you that Joe's fans kept us busy opening up Coronas and Amstels Sat night!!!!  Caught Joe last year at the Raue for the first time and have been sold on him every since!  I tell everyone about him!! And, he absolutely rocked on the Bluescruise this past January!!!  I love the work he does getting music into the classrooms. He visited my daughter's classroom in Crystal Lake last year and she still talks about him!

A.J. wrote:

So Joe is doing Walk In My Shadows during the encore, and towards the end of the song, he's playing and singing and then sings the line... "when I get you in my shadow, baby..." and then the whole band stops on a beat and Joe says, "Alright, who knows it?!"

There's a few seconds of silence, until people start quietly murmuring the last line, probably too embarassed to sing it out loud and solo, when all of a sudden you hear this guy in the audience start singing at the top of his lungs, "I'M GONNA GIIIVE YOU WHAT'S IN STOOOOOOORE!!!" It was awesome! It made Joe stop and laugh, then he said "Give that guy a round of applause!" and the whole place went nuts- then Joe said, "see, the way he sang it, he won't be able to talk for a week! (laugh)Well, here's the way I sing it-"  and then he fnished up the song.  It was a lot of fun, Bill sang that line GREAT!  It was a really good time-

My wife swears that I was in perfect tune/pitch...maybe the first time that's ever happened. It won't ever get any better than that. Thus ends my singing career, which began and ended within about 10 seconds of each other!

Oh yeah....I left early last Sunday morning for a week in California, so I never got a chance to heap praise on Saturday night's show. With an absolutely packed house, Joe and the guys seemed to take it up a notch or two. Friday was outstanding, but Saturday was spectacular. Joe was nice enough to mix things up a bit. Friday night didn't include any slide guitar (no River or Burnin Hell), but Saturday did. I can't remember what got bumped on Saturday, but for those of us there both nights, it was nice to see different sets.
The final song from Saturday...and Friday (Asking Around for You) was awesome and really highlights Joes vocal capabilities as well as his guitar prowess. That song has been stuck in my head for over a week now, which is NOT a complaint.

May have only been 10 seconds, Bill, but I'll remember you singing that line forever! It was great smile

Cool beans Bill!
Maybe we can get a repeat performance at Shank Hall...
Julie in Green Bay  smile

Bill S. - California? And you didn't call? For shame. At the very least, I could have hooked you up with some awesome music (not Joe, but still awesome).

The blues isn't about a look or a specific sound, the blues is something deep within. But the sound doesn't hurt things, you know? ~ Ben Hernandez

18 (edited by CubbyBear 2006-05-16 23:13:41)

So Bill, great singing on "walk in my shadows", but come on man, who doesn't know the chorus to Cream's "Spoonful"???  LOL  wink
     --Alex K