Topic: The Birchmere 3/30/2009

Going wireless has unlocked the inner beast in Joe...what an outstanding performance! All the boys fed off each others energy to create the ultimate concert experience. Bogie is on top of his game, he hammered it home period. The picture of John Henry in the center of his bass drum (I think that's what it's called) adds a nice touch. I love the way Carmine gets into it, his smile reveals how much he enjoys being there. His bass guitars are beautiful and I believe I saw a new one. He's a very classy guy. It was good to be able to hear Rick throughout the entire concert. His solos rocked, very enjoyable added bonus. I also love how he and Joe  harmonize, a fine blending of vocals.  Joe was unbelievable I'm amazed at how much better he gets each time I see him. I have to chuckle because he's gone from this timid kid who kinda stood there hiding behind his hair playing his heart out to this wild man who is all over the stage, interacting with the crowd and flashing a face full of confidence. He has definitely found his groove and he looks so darn fine too.

The Birchmere seats 500 and it was sold out. I heard only 40 tickets were left for Tuesday. Marianne Keith opened with an acoustic set and did a good job setting the mood. Joe and the boys took the stage and it was 2 hours of nonstop fireworks. Lonesome Road Blues is fantastic live, I could barely stay in my seat. Blues Deluxe brought the whole house to it's feet. I really like the new arrangement to Woke Up Dreaming. Joe played so hard he literally cut his finger, thank goodness for band aides. During Just Got Paid the Flying V lived up to it's name because Joe took flight and landed on top of a black box on the stage, never missing a beat.  I like the new version of Sloe Gin and Your Funeral My Trail brought the roof down. The encore set is perfect. It brings you to the point of bursting then gently brings you back with the beautiful Asking Around For You. Joe was gracious to meet the dozen or so fans that gathered by the bus.

It was great to see Roy and Rob again and meet Robs parents It also was a pleasure to meet Dave and Jim. Joe has the best fans.

Ballad of John Henry
Last Kiss
So Many Roads
Mountain Time
Another Kind of Love
Sloe Gin
Great Flood
Lonesome Road Blues
Happier Times
Your Funeral My Trial
Blues Deluxe
Woke Up Dreaming
Just Got Paid
**** Encore ****
Ball Peen Hammer
Story of a Quarry Man
Asking Around For You

Re: The Birchmere 3/30/2009

That was a great review, thanks dazee. Reading your summary of the show makes me want to skip April and move right on to May.... wink I´m SO psyched to hear "Lonesome Road" Blues live - "Happier Times" and that one have become two of my favourite songs on the new album (though I find it particularly hard to pick favourites from that album...).

Eva

Yes Eva, I'd like to fast forward April to the 28th or 29th too! big_smile

A few days ago I said to Cathy, 'You know, Dazee hasn't been around for ages, I wonder if she'll be going to the Birchmere again?' Et voila, a Birchmere topic posted by Dazee! big_smile

(Did you have the whole family with you again?)

Thanks for the report, Dazee. It's so cool that I can exactly picture the venue. Cathy will be standing in line outside this afternoon, just as we all did last year in that God-awful heat. I hope you're going tonight as well so that you gals can renew contact and have some fun together.

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Amsterhammer wrote:

Yes Eva, I'd like to fast forward April to the 28th or 29th too! big_smile

No, don't do that, I'm seeing Joe on the 27th!!

Thanks for the great review Dazee! smile

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Cathy will be standing in line outside this afternoon, just as we all did last year in that God-awful heat

That was a rather oppressive day.  Went through about 5 waters waiting in line.

Awestruck

6 (edited by B-More Bonamaniac 2009-03-31 17:35:49)

Outstanding review by Dazee.  It was my 20th show and I've loved every minute.

The only thing I'd add is the the "John Henry" logo on Bogie's drum is new since Saturday in South Orange.  Very cool.

Great seeing some familiar faces, and looking forward to seeing more tonight, without the 95 degree heat this time.

-Rob

P.S. Thanks to Dazee and Larry for holding some seats for me, my dad and my step-mom last night.  Tonight, Cathy's going to be gracious enough to hold seats for me and my mom.  Joe is a family affair in my family.

Bonamania is a disease with no cure.  Give it to all your friends.

B-More Bonamaniac wrote:

Great seeing some familiar faces, and looking forward to seeing more tonight, without the 95 degree heat this time.

-Rob

Joe is a family affair in my family.

You're a lucky man to be able to share with your parents!

Here's my evidence from last year -

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6245/dscn2730f.jpg

and a very unhappy, wilting Hammer, staring into the cooler

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5344/dscn2727.jpg

and finally - http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/5118/dscn2728.jpg

big_smile Have a great time tonight y'all, wish I was there too.

RIP Iron Man

8 (edited by woofy777 2009-03-31 18:42:15)

My wife and I won't be getting there until around 4:20 but I would imagine every seat is decent.  Any decent ethnic food and drinks close by?  Thai would be my choice but I'm up for anything.

Awestruck

woofy777 wrote:

My wife and I won't be getting there until around 4:20 but I would imagine every seat is decent.  Any decent ethnic food and drinks close by?  Thai would be my choice but I'm up for anything.

There was some sort of Latino street party going on last year, the whole area was cordoned off and it took us a while to even make it to the parking lot. As a result of that and the heat, we never ventured any further. I don't have any bad memories about the food inside, so I guess it was ok, but I do recall having a glass of 'beer' during the show that was so revolting that I never finished it.

Cathy is intending to be there by 3:30-4:00 so you should see her near or at the front of the line outside. She's the one with the gams in the second picture in my previous post. big_smile

RIP Iron Man

Amsterhammer wrote:
woofy777 wrote:

There was some sort of Latino street party going on last year, the whole area was cordoned off and it took us a while to even make it to the parking lot. As a result of that and the heat, we never ventured any further. I don't have any bad memories about the food inside, so I guess it was ok, but I do recall having a glass of 'beer' during the show that was so revolting that I never finished it.

Cathy is intending to be there by 3:30-4:00 so you should see her near or at the front of the line outside. She's the one with the gams in the second picture in my previous post. big_smile

I remember meeting both you and Cathy last year.  You had the styrofoam cooler.  Cathy I will make sure I look you in the eyes and no further!  And Amsterhammer where you live they make beer.  It is mostly swill here.

Awestruck

OK the wife is on the way down 395 and I'm on my way through the Pentagon to meet her.  I should be in line at 4:00.  It should be interesting changing from suit to Bona-T and jeans while the wife is asking me how to get there!  See you all there and drive careful.

Awestruck

12 (edited by Matt B 2009-04-01 02:36:39)

This was the first time I have seen Joe live, and I was blown away. My favorite songs were So Many Roads ( I like how he kept the verses quiet and then came in with the bone crushing chorus), and Last Kiss! I also loved the acousta-shred on Woke Up Dreaming, and the amazing end to asking around for you was incredible. This is what the blues is about, and I love how Joe treats everyone with respect, unlike some musicians out there.

You know, I have a lot more gear than I need, but not as much as I want.

It was nice to meet Dazee and Roy Brit Monday night. Sorry I couldn't stay for Tuesday to meet Cathy and Rob. I liked the Birchmere. Not a bad seat and the food I thougt was good.
The DC area had to be one of the toughest towns to navigate in even with Magellan. Old Town Alexandria is allways a good time. Hope to get back in the area again someday. We will meet someday Jane I promise.

Sorry I missed you on Monday Jim.  Something tells me our paths will cross eventually.

-Rob

Bonamania is a disease with no cure.  Give it to all your friends.