Topic: Jeff Beck sets Comiskey Park ablaze!!

I've shared this story before, but I was at a festival in the old Comiskey Park, I think it was 1976 or so.
Loads of bands, a full day of music, and the big names were Aerosmith and Jeff Beck.
Beck is on stage, I forget how long into his set, when he starts looking up in the far stands. I'm about 15 feet from the stage, and turn around to see the upper deck stands on fire! Jeff continues to play and eventually they put the fire out.

The amazing part: I just happened to be surfing You Tube just now and found a recording of that part of the show and the fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-lRhcqA9sw

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Re: Jeff Beck sets Comiskey Park ablaze!!

Shades of the disco rebellion from about the same era, not the first time Comiskey was on fire. Were you there for that one Bill?

Think Green,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

ohiodawg13 wrote:

Shades of the disco rebellion from about the same era, not the first time Comiskey was on fire. Were you there for that one Bill?

Think Green,

J Dawg

No. Steve Dahl was the local DJ that put that one on.
I was not a fan of disco, but may have been even less of a Steve Dahl fan, which is saying a lot.
You may recall that they blew up disco records between games of a double header. Steve Dahl fans rushed the field and by the time order was restored, the field was so torn up the White Sox were forced to forfeit the 2nd game.

Bill S wrote:
ohiodawg13 wrote:

Think Green,

J Dawg

No. Steve Dahl was the local DJ that put that one on.
I was not a fan of disco, but may have been even less of a Steve Dahl fan, which is saying a lot.
You may recall that they blew up disco records between games of a double header. Steve Dahl fans rushed the field and by the time order was restored, the field was so torn up the White Sox were forced to forfeit the 2nd game.

The most infamous promotional event since the 10 cent beer promo in Cleveland June 4th, 1974. The Tribe forfeited to the Rangers when chaos reigned in the 9th inning. 60,000 cups of beer were sold. FYI, Disco Demolition night was July 12th, 1979.

Roll Out The Barrel,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

MillionMilesAway wrote:

BILL,

WHICH SHIRTLESS DUDE WAS YOU!!!!!!

Here's what we looked like the following summer in Oakland. This is July 4th, 1977. The line up includes The Outlaws, Santana, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Peter Frampton. Check out Ronnie's T-Shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PENBU3lrpE

Think Day On The Green,

J Dawg

MillionMilesAway wrote:

BILL,

WHICH SHIRTLESS DUDE WAS YOU!!!!!!

I'm surprised I didn't see myself...I was front and center, probably what would have been about the 10th row.