1 (edited by Keith 2006-08-08 09:53:26)

Topic: Joe in the new(August) issue of Classic Rock Magazine

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up that the latest issue of the English mag Classic Rock has a glowing one page feature on Joe that's pretty cool, with some great quotes once again. It's their Blues Rock issue, and a pretty good one at that. My only gripe is that when they compiled their list of the 'Top 100 Blues Anthems' of all time, Joe was conspicuously absent, while Bon Jovi(???)  Van Halen, The White Stripes and Alice In Chains are included. Otherwise a fairly decent list, but one without anything Bonamassa related is certainly an incomplete list and cannot be taken 100% seriously in my opinion. Still worth checking out, and it's on newsstands here in the U.S. as we speak, with Hendrix on the cover.

Nightwatcher's House Of Rock
http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.com/
Now featured on Planet Rock, The Chicago Sun Times and The Mog Music Network
Also featured on antiMUSIC's RockNewsinfo at http://www.antimusic.com/rocknews/

Re: Joe in the new(August) issue of Classic Rock Magazine

I was just thinking, Keith... what would be Joe's anthem? Blues Deluxe?

Bon Jovi, White Stripes, Alice in Chains, and Van Halen made the blues list? Sure, there might be a few blues riffs in there somewhere, but it certainly doesn't qualify any of them as blues.

Joe should be on the list.

The song I'd pick? Hmmm....how about "Bridge to Better Days," "So It's Like That," "Trouble Waiting," or half a dozen others written or co-written by Joe?

Sigh.

Let's face it, most of the people compiling these lists lack the most basic understanding of the genre.

The blues isn't about a look or a specific sound, the blues is something deep within. But the sound doesn't hurt things, you know? ~ Ben Hernandez

I'm thinking more like The River, Burning Hell, Bridge To Better Days. Not necessarily pure blues, but blues that rocks. Blues-rock. lol

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

I'd pick  "Reconsider Baby" or "If Heartaches Were Nickels" .

How about "Pain & Sorrow", "Taking The Hit" or "Mountain Time"? Hard to narrow it down, there's so many to choose from actually. "A New Day Yesterday" even though it's a cover, would've fit on their list as well, as it blows away Tull's version in my opinion, and I'm a Tull fan wink

Nightwatcher's House Of Rock
http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.com/
Now featured on Planet Rock, The Chicago Sun Times and The Mog Music Network
Also featured on antiMUSIC's RockNewsinfo at http://www.antimusic.com/rocknews/

Joanie wrote:

Bon Jovi, White Stripes, Alice in Chains, and Van Halen made the blues list? Sure, there might be a few blues riffs in there somewhere, but it certainly doesn't qualify any of them as blues.

Joe should be on the list.

but, as Joe says, the more people you include into blues, the more attention it will get etc.  I do agree, though, I don't consider them blues, but whatever.... the White Strips, although I haven't heard much of them, seem to be a little more blusey than the others on that list- supposedly Jack White listens to a lot of original blues stuff- like muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Son House, Charley Patton, etc.  I guess that makes him pretty influenced by the blues....

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

I assume when someone is composing a list of top blues anthems, it would be based on the person that wrote it, rather than covers. Even though Joe has made a bunch of songs "his own" (most notably Blues Deluxe, Reconsider Baby, Heartaches, A new Day Yesterday), I think credit for those would go to the author.
Joe has a fair number of songs that he wrote that would qualify for a top 100 list. I think The River and I Don't Live Anywhere would be the ones that I would include. Bridge to Better Days and Askin Around for You could qualify, but being relatively new might relegate them to next years top 100 list.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Santana - Black Magic Woman
Cream - Crossroads
ZZ Top - I Thank You

Great classic rock/blues rock songs not written by the artist who did them. Covers can be included.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends