1 (edited by banderchick 2006-08-06 00:45:17)

Topic: any advice from the musicians?

Hey y'all.  I'm sittin here listening to some awesome blues music, Joe included, and I was just struck by the thought that if I don't play music in my life, I just may explode.  I'm always inspired by listening to music, and especially seeing live concerts.  I was a music major in college (just graduated this past May), so I understand music and everything, and I play a few instruments.  I think I'm actually gonna take up the harmonica.  smile  But the kind of music I want to play, and hopefully perform, is jazzy/bluesy type stuff.  I play sax (among other instruments) and would love to be a performing musician one day, as part of a horn section in a band or something like that.  There is just something really awesome about being up in front of people playing music.  I was just wondering if any of y'all out there had any advice for me.  Well, aside from tons and tons of practice.  I know that much.  Just any music/performing advice in general.  Thanks so much.  smile

"Music is the shorthand of emotion."  ~Leo Tolstoy

"The more you can dream, the more you can do."  ~Michael Korda

Re: any advice from the musicians?

I'll give you the best advice, find other people to play with! Find your local blues bars or other places that have an open jam night. Around here, what we do is have an open jam twice a week and people come from all over put their name on the list and jam with us. You don't have to know all the songs, just know what key the song is in and PLAY IN THAT KEY!  I have been a gigging Blues/Rock guitar player for years, I still take lessons and I still play open jams when I'm not playing with my own band.

there are a million and one(myself included) guitar players out there...if you show up to a jam with your harp or sax, you'll blow yer lungs out!!!!

I'd love for a sax player to sit in with us one night!!!

Speaking of having a sax in the band, this guy has one. Sounds pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAEIjjWU … mp;search=

I play in open jam nights, and it has helped me soo much. I got alot better when I started to jam with blues bands. It helps me alot more than lessons do!  and its very very FUN!!!

peace,
sarah

"The World misses his music, but I miss my brother."
-Jimmie Vaughan

Thanks guys.  smile  I actually plan on calling the guy I took lessons with last summer and trying to set something up with him again.  I'll definitely have to look into clubs that have open jam nights and such.  Well, maybe in a few months or something.  LOL.

And by the way, Sarah, I love the quote in your signature line.  It just makes me so sad, but it's so good.

alabamakid wrote:

there are a million and one(myself included) guitar players out there...if you show up to a jam with your harp or sax, you'll blow yer lungs out!!!!

I'd love for a sax player to sit in with us one night!!!

I really dig that too, when a good harp player, B3 or horns comes in, I have a blast!

So I may have a better chance of maing it as a sax player than a guitar player, eh?

You can make it at anything if you work hard enough, don't limit yourself! Get down on the Guitar, Sax, Harp what ever you feel.

10 (edited by banderchick 2006-08-06 22:16:14)

Hehe.  Thanks.  I wasn't being totally serious with that comment tho.  LOL.  I just understand the sax better than guitar.  Although I can rock a wicked Dead or Alive on guitar.  smile  (Well, okay, just that one solo riff.)

David wrote:

Speaking of having a sax in the band, this guy has one. Sounds pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAEIjjWU … mp;search=

Man, that sax player sure is good.  smile  Guitar player's pretty dang good, too.  Any of yinz ever seen or heard Susan Tedeschi?  She has a sax player in her band, and he is awesome too.  Susan was the opening act when I saw LLB this past June.  I really liked her and her band.