1 (edited by Chris 2006-07-20 08:19:01)

Topic: Los Lonely Boys New Album

I picked up LLB's new album, Sacred, which came out Tuesday, and I gotta say, no sophomore slump here.  I heard about LLB while their last album was still an independent release, and have a been a big fan ever since...great live shows as well.

If there is one word to describe this album, it has to be infectious, with fun being a close second. There is no getting around that these guys know how to write a song with a hook that won't leave your head.  They are so good at it, it's almost angering, because I know that I won't listen to another album for a week.  Currently, I have their strongest track, Roses, in my head, and it's been there for at least 40 hours.  I think there are a lot of songs that have their own style, which will translate very well to radio.  For that reason, I see this album making LLB even bigger, and honestly, I don't see why they would slow down anytime soon, especially with a great live act.

I was worried that the execs would want them to do a full album of pop songs, but much like there last album, they do a really nice job of balancing, and from a musical/production standpoint, this album is worlds apart.  They add a lot of really fun layers to their songs this time around, with horns, and even accordians, and it always adds, never detracts from their music. It feels like LLB actually has control of what they want on this album.  Every track has their style stamped on it.

Lyrically, the Boys have improved, however it is still not even close to their strong point.  Henry Garza's guitar work is also improved.  I still get angry tho when people compare him to the greats.  Don't get me wrong, Henry is a really good player.  He is not anywhere near the top of the blues guitarist class.  People like Joe, Tab Benoit, Jimmy Thackery could play circles around him.  And I don't even think he's in the next level of Mato Nanji, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Jonny Lang, etc. So when I hear people say he's the next SRV, all I can think is that he better head down to the Crossroads. Now, from an impact standpoint, I think that Henry has a chance to actually be one of the most influencial of the group, mostly because of their commercial appeal.

Back to the album, some of the tracks are real gems, however if I have one complaint, and it's small, it's that it loses some steam towards the end. It gets picked up by "Outlaws" which features their father and a nice appearance by Willie Nelson.

Lost in the shuffle of many of the reviews I have read, is that Henry is not the only star of the show.  Brother Jo Jo on bass and Ringo on drums (yeah...thats really his name) are slowly becoming an elite rhythm section.  Listen closely to the extra layer that Jo Jo puts behind the song...it's probably one of the best parts of the album.

How can I forget about their vocals? In a word, awesome. Their harmonies are simply beautiful.

I really think this is a good album.  Go out and get it at Best Buy this week.  It's under 10 bucks.

Highlights: My Way, Orale, Roses

Nothin But Love,
Chris

http://www.myspace.com/chrismarcantonio

No matter how well you know someone, you can only ever guess.  How can you ever really know somebody else? It takes more than a lifetime just to get to know yourself.  Nobody knows the meaning of loneliness.  - Van Morrison

2 (edited by Donna 2006-07-20 14:44:09)

Re: Los Lonely Boys New Album

Hey Chris...any bonus tracks on that LLB CD from Best Buy?  I heard that Sony was distributing different CDs to several different retailers, each with different bonus tracks.  Supposedly the Walmart "Sacred" CDs have a track of JoJo doing a piano solo and Target's has 4 bonus tracks from a show at the Fillmore.

Great musicians have a language & vocabulary that transcends the usual barriers & touches us on a more primitive , basic & yet complex level....

...I'll always have London in my heart, and in my soul...

That's bs. Just another example of greedy record companies.

On another note, I do think that their new album is quite good. Not on the level of their first, but I've been listening to it a lot. That'll change though after I see Joe again in Tulsa!

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

To my knowledge, Best Buy has no extras on it. I will say that Los Lonely Boys released their independent album (on their first recording), then re-released it, then repackaged it again with a short DVD, plus they had a live album, and a DVD, so the multiples in no way would surprise me.

I refuse to buy more than one copy this time around. big_smile

Nothin But Love,
Chris

http://www.myspace.com/chrismacantonio

No matter how well you know someone, you can only ever guess.  How can you ever really know somebody else? It takes more than a lifetime just to get to know yourself.  Nobody knows the meaning of loneliness.  - Van Morrison

Hey to everyone...being new to the JB website, just wanted to add some comments about LLB and their new CD......studio VS. live...two different worlds....after a shot in the arm of LLB live, your blood pumps harder for days.

SACRED, when I heard it at first, I didn't care for, but after getting it into my blood....it is good to hear some brand new songs.

My discovery of Joe, overshadows anything, musically, right now...and find it is hard for me to listen to anything else...this is how I was for LLB not too long ago.

I am in total disbelief with twhat Joe can do with a guitar...and need a fix SOON..but none seems to be in sight.

Sacred is worthy of a purchase, and I don't think anyone would be dissappointed.  Please don't expect Henry to wail like Joe though....just isn't going to happen

".....cuz you're here, now my heart's UNBROKEN."

Sunshine, that's the nice thing about the blues rock community - we don't expect anyone to play like Joe! And seriously, the best thing about a lot of diversity in this particular genre is the many different styles we get to experience.

The blues isn't about a look or a specific sound, the blues is something deep within. But the sound doesn't hurt things, you know? ~ Ben Hernandez

"They add a lot of really fun layers to their songs this time around, with horns, and even accordians, and it always adds, never detracts from their music."

Chris...you had me, up to the accordian comment.
Apologies to all you accordian lovers out there.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Los Lonely Boys played a short 45 min set in the Wal-Mart Parking lot in Addison, TX this afternoon and they were really good.  Here's a short clip from the show:  Los Lonely Boys Clip    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rae3bZAuLC8
It's pretty shaky since I was zoomed in...sorry.
The sound was outstanding.  Henry only threw out one pick, the one he was using.  My son and I were standing in front of the soundboard about 40 feet out from the stage.  Henry threw it knife-edged and I saw it hit the ground among a crowd of people 25 ft out.  I was amazed that it didn't hit anyone and it bounced another 15 ft and landed right between my sons shoes.  I still had to dive for it to beat out someone else that was going for it.  It was close but I got it...lol.

I know that Best Buy has Sacred CD and also a second version that contains a bonus DVD..

scottphilly

Never got into these guys.  Seemed like everything they did had already been done better by Los Lobos !  I think MTV just latched onto these guys because the lead singer is "camera friendly", and they were riding the whole Santana craze. Great marketing, I'll give them that !

I much prefer "Mana", which was another Santana project.

Sacred CD

1) My Way
2) Orale
3) Diamonds
4) Oye Mamacita
5) I never Met A Woman
6) Roses
7) Texican Style
8) One More Day
9) Memories
10) My Loniliness
11) Outlaws
12) Home
13) Living My Life

Great album.....!!!!!

MTV didn't latch onto them. VH1 did. MTV never I don't think has even mentioned them. Plus, they came out after the Santana thing had played out. Heaven just came out of left field, there really was no trend to be followed. They deserve more credit then they were riding a wave. I think they just appeal to a criss-cross of genres. Blues guys like Henry's playing (not as much as Joe), singing fans love the harmonies, pop fans dig the hooks, country fans dig the slight bit of country flavor they add, latin people dig the Spanglish and some of the latin and conjunto rhythms. They just have a really broad demographic.

Deezer wrote:

MTV didn't latch onto them. VH1 did. MTV never I don't think has even mentioned them. Plus, they came out after the Santana thing had played out. Heaven just came out of left field, there really was no trend to be followed. They deserve more credit then they were riding a wave. I think they just appeal to a criss-cross of genres. Blues guys like Henry's playing (not as much as Joe), singing fans love the harmonies, pop fans dig the hooks, country fans dig the slight bit of country flavor they add, latin people dig the Spanglish and some of the latin and conjunto rhythms. They just have a really broad demographic.

I have to agree with you...
I saw them in concert and the crowd was just going nuts over them. They put on a great show. I'd go see them again anytime!
Julie in Green Bay

They definitely are showmen and know how to put on a great show..  Nice to see guys from my hometown doing so well.

Deezer wrote:

I think that's completely right.  If my mom and I agree on music, there's gotta be a reason. 

They really built up their popularity in a unique way.  They had an underground buzz from blues fans, got signed to a major label with the help of Willie Nelson, and then hit it huge with Heaven on the radio.  Then the Vh1 kick started to happen.

I think they have some haters who just know them for Heaven. Gotta give their albums a listen and see them live.  They are not just some pop band.  These guys are the real deal.

Nothin But Love,
Chris

Yep, they look like the real deal to me..........if I'm not mistaken this "misunderstanding" has happened several times before.........thanks google.

July 24, 2006, 8:58AM
Arrest of Lonely Boys bassist called a misunderstanding

Associated Press

AUSTIN — The arrest of the bassist for Los Lonely Boys on allegations he assaulted his fiancee was all a misunderstanding, the band's publicist said today.

Police arrested Joey "JoJo" Sacarais Garza, 26, at an Austin hotel Saturday on charges of assault causing bodily injury and possession of less than two ounces of marijuana, authorities said. Garza was released on bond from Travis County Jail at 5 p.m. Saturday.

"This is simply a misunderstanding. We were being too loud," Garza's fiancee, Carina Lyn, said through the publicist. "We apologize to the hotel guests. JoJo and I are very much in love and we are planning to be married."

Garza, Lyn and Garza's sibling-bandmates were in town celebrating last week's release of the band's new album, Sacred, when another hotel guest reported a disturbance, publicist Diana Baron said.

Police said they arrived about 10 a.m. and found a woman who had been assaulted. They also found marijuana, said Austin police spokeswoman Laura Albrecht.

Baron declined to comment on the marijuana charge but said Lyn was unharmed and had protested the arrest.

The Austin police erred on the side of caution, but their actions were "completely unnecessary," Garza's attorney, Charlie Roadman, said in the release.

Austin police spokeswoman Ruth Bullock said investigators will pass on a report to the Travis County District Attorney's Office, which will decide whether to press formal charges. In cases of family violence, alleged victims cannot drop charges, she said.

She disputed the band's account of the incident.

"We can only arrest if visible injury or complaint of pain is there, so undoubtedly the officers saw that," she said.

The band of brothers from San Angelo won a Grammy in 2005 for their Tex-Mex rock, and their self-titled debut two years ago went double platinum. They are in the midst of a promotional tour.

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

About a year ago, I bought their DVD for my wife. I sort of blew them off as a semi-pop, ok guitarist band. I have yet to see them live, but next time they come to Pittsburgh, I'm sure we'll go. Anyway, after watching the DVD a few times, I do have more respect for them. To me, they are still right on that edge of being a bit poppy, but at times sound fantastic. I would love to see them live doing "Onda",. The version on the DVD is a great SRV / Santana sounding jam. For three guys, they smoke on this song. Anyway, just my two cents.

Hey Joe.. Great new CD... HWE, BTBD, SMR, IDB, TFO, PTHAG, YFAMT and TD
                             And also great new DVD..Thanks

Hey, you haven't been to Pittsburgh since April... Come on !

Take care,
                                                                                              Bill

I've seen the reports. On the pot thing, okay, what great musician hasn't done drugs. SRV, Clapton, ect. Doesn't make it wrong, but I'm not going to nail them to the cross for marijuana.

Secondly, on the harassment charge, I've heard that it was just an argument where they got too loud and the cops were called. If that's the case, fine. Who here who is married has not gotten into a argument with your spouse. If he did assault her, I hope they nail his manhood to a wooden board. But I'm not going to judge the case yet.