Topic: Joe's Django a tribute to Django Reinhardt?

I was given some recommended listening for jazz guitar and Django Reinhardt was on the list. With a name like Django I think it's kind of hard for that tune NOT to be a tribute, otherwise it's a pretty out there name for a song! But the song Django doesn't sound too jazzy to me so...

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

Re: Joe's Django a tribute to Django Reinhardt?

No coincidence Music. Never heard any Django myself but he was indeed inspiration for the song.

3 (edited by Musicinmysoul 2008-02-14 21:54:43)

Once I take a listen to some of his music I'll try and make some sort of connection between (assuming there is a difference) Django's work and the song. Otherwise I'd like to hear how a jazz guitarist inspired that song.

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

4 (edited by sugartown 2008-02-14 22:06:00)

If you haven't heard him, you need to listen to some of his stuff.  I personally can't get into it that much, but his virtuosity is without question.  We will likely never hear anything like him again.

The song Django can't have any musical inspiration from Reinhardt's music.  If anything its inspired by Eric Johnson.  Django Reinhardt played gypsy jazz, once you hear this style you'le know what im talking about.

Fender '62 reissue Stratocaster, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio(Stock), Marshall JCM900 100W Head, Original 1972 Carvin 4/12 Cabinet,Ibanez Ts9 Reissue, Keeley Compressor, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox Wah

cj19m wrote:

The song Django can't have any musical inspiration from Reinhardt's music.  If anything its inspired by Eric Johnson.  Django Reinhardt played gypsy jazz, once you hear this style you'le know what im talking about.

I would have to agree. If anything I'd say Django reminds me of Eric's playing. I don't even know what to call it, but there's this thing Eric does where he makes his strat sound like a sitar, to me Django sounds like it's coming from that sort of playing.

Again, I haven't heard any of Reinhardt's playing, but I can't see Django being inspired by anything even remotely jazzy.

There is a documentary on Django followers from around the world and his bio.. I'm sorry I don't remember the name..If you search Other Artists there has been a thread on him....Cathy

As a matter of fact, the track Django is taken from Django's Vous Et Moi, which stands for You & Me.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Deezer's right. I know the story behind this song because it's been one of my favorites of Joe's from the first time I heard it.

The inspiration for the song is indeed a Django Reinhardt song entitled "Vous Et Moi" If you go here and listen to a clip it is clear that it is the inspiration: http://www.buy.com/prod/vous-et-moi/q/l … 10655.html

The interesting thing is that even though Django was primarily known as a guitar player - and played alongside one of the greatest violinists of all times, Stephane Grapelli - it is actually Django that is playing the violin on the recording.

The documentary Cathy is referring to is "Django Mania!".  I believe it contains the only known footage of Django playing.

In the Linear notes of You and Me, doesn't it say Joe say that Django was inspired by just the first few notes of "Vous Et Moi"?

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

Wow, who would've thought...there is an obvious connection there...

The other link didn't work for me, here's where I heard the clip at:

click!

WOW.  Ok, I'm gonna go eat my words now. haha.  Incredible, whoda thunk it?  most of Rienhardt's music was upbeat swing.  pretty cool!
Conner

Fender '62 reissue Stratocaster, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio(Stock), Marshall JCM900 100W Head, Original 1972 Carvin 4/12 Cabinet,Ibanez Ts9 Reissue, Keeley Compressor, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox Wah

yet it sounds like Jeff Beck

Hi Vette and Everyone

Wikipedia states that Jeff Beck and Jimi Hendrix, plus countless other guitarists, have been inspired by Django Reinhardt.  It's interesting to read his history here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_Reinhardt

The first time I heard "Django", was on Tom McGuinness's (Manfred Mann/McGuinness Flint/The Blues Band/The Manfreds) Album "Double Take", but I had no idea who, or what Django was.  It was just a pretty tune.  Then I heard Tom play it live at a Manfreds gig. I remember that I thought that it was awesome.  He told us that Django was a French jazz guitarist. I think that he also told us that he had recently been to visit his grave. 

It's very interesting to compare the two versions.  Joe's version is a much longer one.  It is more haunting, spine tingling, fuller and more soulful, but Tom's version is prettier, more laid back, relaxing and enchanting.

Both versions are equally awesome in their own way and I'm getting a lot of pleasure listening to them back to back. smile

What do you all think?

Catfish Jane

"I guess the music is the reason and the key, for me. It takes the blues, to see!"  Gary Fletcher, of The Blues Band. The Blues Band are Paul Jones, Tom McGuinness, Dave Kelly, Gary Fletcher and Rob Townsend.

You guys amaze me!  I love this forum..............the knowledge base is incredible.
All I can say is THANKS!!

16 (edited by gsj 2008-02-20 17:43:00)

Has it been mentioned that Django played all of those amazing lead lines and chords after losing two fingers on his fretting hand due to a terrible accident in a fire?

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Very interesting Django talk...I had heard of him but never knew his impact on the jazz guitar world until our son "educated" me. Our son plays standup bass in a group out of Ashland Oregon  Guess what type of music they play out there? "Gypsy Jazz" with Django their main influence. Different sounding stuff! Django lives - Last yr our son's group traveled up to Seatttle to some island for a  multi day "Django Fest"!

That is part of what makes Joe special - the many influences he has worked into his music.

Hi gsj and Rhoovis

The wikipedia link mentions Django's terrible accident and his disability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_Reinhardt

I think that it is amazing that Django managed to overcome his problems to play his guitar so well.  It just goes to show what the human spirit can do if it is determined enough. smile

I'm sure those gypsies that inspired Django copied were playing that sort of "gypsy jazz" for a long time before.  It just goes to show that nothing is new.

Wikipedia says this about "gypsy jazz".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsy_jazz

Catfish Jane

"I guess the music is the reason and the key, for me. It takes the blues, to see!"  Gary Fletcher, of The Blues Band. The Blues Band are Paul Jones, Tom McGuinness, Dave Kelly, Gary Fletcher and Rob Townsend.