Topic: Newport Blues Cafe Show

Saw Joe's show July 5th in Newport, RI. Came up from Connecticut with my wife for a few days (primarily to see Joe play). Booked a room at a great B&B, the Newport Blues Inn (affiliated with the venue). When I check in Gary & Lisa (the innkeepers) tell me Joe's gone to the hospital with strep throat and may not play (say it ain't so, Joe!). Well, Joe played through it and it was hard to tell he wasn't feeling well. Great vocals and outstanding guitar work, as usual. James Montgomery joined in on harp for a cameo appearance. I coaxed Gary & Lisa to come see the show and they were blown away (2 new converts). I think the announced crowd was about 250. A number of people were admiring Joe's guitars before the show. Finally got to meet Tara after the show. The only negative I heard was the bartenders complaining about the paucity of tip money due to the crowd being so entranced by Joe's playing - very little drinking going on. The club actually sent waitstaff into the crowd to take drink orders. Several of the club's staff told me it was very unusual. They also said that it would be a long time before another show matched Joe B's.

"The Blues are the true facts of life expressed in words and song, inspiration, feeling, and understanding."
Willie Dixon

Re: Newport Blues Cafe Show

Mark it was nice to meet you and your wife.  Glad that you could make it.  I did like this venue compared to some that I have been to.

Gotta run, see you down the road.

WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE~~~JIMI HENDRIX

The Newport Blues Cafe was my very first JB experience...and also the first time I had the pleasure of meeting Tara and Nancy and Nancy's husband, sorry, big guy...forgot your name...it was a great venue...small and intimate...standing right in front of joe...like 2 feet away and being it my first time,I was pretty in shoke and awe of his abilities to play "that THANG"   and he just blew me away....happy I was "told" to go by a friend...So glad I took a night out for myself and went and saw some awesome music and met some great loving people.

".....cuz you're here, now my heart's UNBROKEN."

4 (edited by Tara 2006-07-20 19:51:20)

Glad that you got to go and experience JBB!

Nancy's hubbie would be Scott.

See you down the road.

WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE~~~JIMI HENDRIX

Tara wrote:

Glad that you got to go and experience JBB!

Nancy's hubbie would be Scott.

See you down the road.

Wish Joe was coming up our way sooner but we were spoiled there with the shows we did get to see and all the great pics...and my pleasure to hang with you and nancy and SCOTT!!

See you soon
Carolyn

".....cuz you're here, now my heart's UNBROKEN."