Topic: Delay Pedals...which do you suggest?

I am looking at buying a delay pedal on eBay. I'm tossing up between a few. Mainly the Boss DD-3 and DD-6 and the Line 6 DL4 Delay modeller. Any thoughts on these pedals.

I'm thinking of just getting the DD-3 as i would be able to get it fairly cheap. iS the DD-6 a significant upgrade? I knwo it has the tap tempo which I guess owuld be helpful.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

Re: Delay Pedals...which do you suggest?

JB uses the boss digital delay pedal with all dials set to "12 o'clock"
Line 6's green pedal with four button on it has delay and swell on it I believe - Joe uses swell to get the violin sound when doesn't use the volume control on his guitar. Both Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Joe Bonamassa use that line 6 pedal-

hope that helps

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Maxxon AD-999...all analog with a long delay time and a very warm and natural decay.  It's a little pricey but one of the nicest sounding delays I have ever heard.

Russ B.

The DD-6 is only an upgrade if you want the longer delay times and special effects.  Older DD-2's and DD-3's are very cool.  Check out analogman.com for info and mods on the Boss delay pedals.  The DM-2 is great if you can find one and are willing to shell out the bucks.

Jason

I run a DD-3 and that's it.  The Line6 DL-4 actually drops the volume of your signal when engaged and many people complain about their reliability (I haven't had any issues with reliability but took it off my board because of the volume drop).  Cool pedal, but a great example of a production thing gone wrong.  Get an older DD-3 if you can...they're better.  Also consider the DD-20, I've heard good things about them.

I have the RV-5 and hate it, wish I had gotten the DD-3
Also the CE-5 is a kick **** chorus!  Love that pedal

How crucial is delay for your sound? If you just want to fatten up your tone, give your solos some presence, ya know the typical then go with the DD3. It's a very clean effect and is straight to the point. The Line 6 DL4 is a fun toy, but I'd say 90% of it is just for personal amusement, but you'll find yourself only using a couple key features (and this seems to be true for all of Line6's products)

Hope this helps.

Hey thanks for all your replies guys. I mainly want the delay to thicken up my solos. I might also use it for some weird sort of FX, think EVH's Cathedral but mainly for solos. So I'll probably go for the DD-3 and if I want some more tipped out FX later I can get something else to use as well. The DD-3 is fairly cheap so I can't go wrong.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

Jess wrote:

Hey thanks for all your replies guys. I mainly want the delay to thicken up my solos. I might also use it for some weird sort of FX, think EVH's Cathedral but mainly for solos. So I'll probably go for the DD-3 and if I want some more tipped out FX later I can get something else to use as well. The DD-3 is fairly cheap so I can't go wrong.

I love EHX's line of effects. I own the USA Small Stone reissue, Little Big Muff Pi, and the Deluxe Memory Man. You could probably score a Deluxe Memory Man off of eBay for $100-$150 depending on condition. Analog delay, echo, chorus, tremolo all in one pedal? Hell yes.

(Note: Analog delay pedals have a "special character" to them. If you want super clean replication go with digital to be safe)

The DL-4, IMHO, is the most road worthy, and most versatile for a gig. In the studio, I'd recommend something with a better tone quality. But the DL-4 was definitely made fot the stage.

Line 6 POD XT Live...done...