1 (edited by suhl 2007-09-04 13:52:56)

Topic: indianapolis

saw joe in indy yesterday.  drove three hours and forgot about the time change so walked in half an hour late.  still got an hour though, and the last song played was in fact worth the trip.  that's right, if you have the opportunity to see joe in indianapolis, do it, because he played tea for one live.  jammed, best live song i have ever seen him do, brought the singer from the album, doug (sanborn?  not right, but something like that)  and let me tell you that man can absolutely wail he was just flat out great one of the most powerful voices i have ever heard.  more in depth review to come, but most important to note that seeing tea for one live was worth the drive and the price of admission.

well i have more time than i thought at the moment. 

so.  I went to the show with my brother and his wife.  IT was at a rib festival in Indianapolis.  Well apparently indiana is now on eastern time so we came in a half hour late.  When we got there he was half way through another kind of love.  We found a nice spot in the shade and right around that time he started playing sloe gin.  I had never seen this played live before and it was most excellent.  great soloing throughout, similar to the studio version but sounding better without all the effects and and the solo was better.  After this i believe was high water everywhere.  wow.  that is all i can say.  this is easily the best transformation from electric to acoustic song i have ever heard for him.  really some of the blusiest and best acoustic guitar i have ever had the pleasure of hearing.  then heartaches were nickels on acoustic.  i could have done without this, definitely prefer the electric version, but beggars cant be choosers, wasnt bad but not a highlight.  from here he segwayed immediately into woke dreaming.  i am so glad this song never leaves his setlist.  so so good.  sick SICK acoustic guitar playing and he seems to add something new to it every time he plays it.  what a treat to see this played live you know you are witnessing a one of a kind master whenever you see it.  then i believe was django.  better live than studio as most of his songs were.  beautiful instrumental, keyboard adds volumes to it, which in my opinion is not the case for all(though certainly for most).  then just got paid.   i guess most people reading this will have already seen him play this live before, but i hadnt.  teriffic, much much shredding.  I love when he uses the wah when doing fast soloing it is mind melting.  then the encore.  tea for one.  cant be beat.  outside of so many roads my favorite song he has ever played.  this along with reconsider baby are like the top two songs i have always wanted to see him play live but thought i never would.  well my wish came  Bar none, the best live song I have ever heard joe play.  He was absolutely lights out.  Played in its entirety, all the soloing from the album version and then some more, and i almost never say this but the vocals were even better than the album.  i dont know why i dont know the guys name, but he is one hell of a singer he was belting into the microphone and didnt come close to cracking. simply amazing.  cant say enough good about tea for one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fCdNsm7gvu8

If wine and pills were hundred dollar bills
I might keep you satisfied

Re: indianapolis

Wow! Good for you suhl. It's always a treat when a show has something unique and hearing "Tea For One" with Doug Henthorn on vocals definitely fits that bill. Thanks for the review!

Hey Suhl, thanks for the review from Indy, was wondering how the show went.  So Many Roads is sooooooo good live, one of my favorites for sure.  Glad you guys had a good time...

Music is good for the Soul...

Did anyone record this? "Tea for One" live is such a rarity. Lucky suhl!

I'm just saying.

suhl wrote:

then the encore.  tea for one.  cant be beat.  outside of so many roads my favorite song he has ever played.  this along with reconsider baby are like the top two songs i have always wanted to see him play live but thought i never would.  well my wish came  Bar none, the best live song I have ever heard joe play.  He was absolutely lights out.  Played in its entirety, all the soloing from the album version and then some more, and i almost never say this but the vocals were even better than the album.  i dont know why i dont know the guys name, but he is one hell of a singer he was belting into the microphone and didnt come close to cracking. simply amazing.  cant say enough good about tea for one.

Now That must have been Jaw Droppping to see , with Doug adding his Soulful Lyrics

"  There was a Time That I Stood Tall , In the Eyes of all Other Men
   But By my own choice , I left you woman
   And i can't , can't get you back again
   How come 24 hours yeah , Baby sometimes slip , Slip into Day
   One Minute seems like a Lifetime "

Playing it Now just to remind me of his style .............. Now i'm Really F**king Jealous , That is one Awesome Song
Just Trying to picture The Power that was on that Stage ..... Yikes    big_smile

...................... michael

Ditto Nancy

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

didnt see anyone with a video camera...sorry, still possible someone made an audio recording of the show...and we were too late for so many roads...**## happens but im seeing him next sunday in davenport hopefully ill get it then.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fCdNsm7gvu8

If wine and pills were hundred dollar bills
I might keep you satisfied

suhl..I'm sorry you missed the start, but, wow, that's a great booby prize!!!!  Keep your fingers crossed, maybe someone got it on their phone/mp3...I loved your review and can't what for the next one. I know you're leaving early for that one! lol Cathy

8 (edited by Barbara 2007-09-04 17:59:17)

Shul you are one lucky guy.  Tea For One sung by Doug Henthorn as an encore.  WOW, talk about an unexpected surprise!  I love that song and would love to hear it live.  Even though you were late to his show you still got an excellent dose of Joe.........

Barbara

Awesome!  Suhl you made me feel like I was there, and like my buddy Michael, I am effing jellus, big time! Dang. Sounds like the naysayers of Doug may consider a turnaround... AWESOME, nuff  said!

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Wow!!! That must have been spectacular. I think you've got a bunch of jealous Joe fans out here. Joe's in Chicago in November, so I can keep my fingers crossed.
Hey Doug Henthorn, if you're out there somewhere....I'll pay for your airfare to Chicago!!!!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

11 (edited by Guitgator 2007-09-11 22:15:36)

my wife got a few minutes of it on video but the security guys were giving her the evil eye as they tried to figure out if she was taking pics or video taping.

The highlights of the show for me were Joe on acoustic doing High Water (just amazing) and his medley of "Waitin' For the Bus / Led Zeppelin"....a nice mishmash of songs from the day! My first Joe B concert but I'll be seeing him again in Nashville on November 24th...inside this time...the sound quality should be better....outdoor shows tend to get a bit messy on the bottom end.

suhl wrote:

didnt see anyone with a video camera...sorry, still possible someone made an audio recording of the show...and we were too late for so many roads...**## happens but im seeing him next sunday in davenport hopefully ill get it then.

"why isn't the number "11" pronounced "onety one"???....S. Wright.