1 (edited by BansheeUK 2020-08-20 04:38:13)

Topic: Connor Selby

So,  last summer we noted Connor as one of those "young guns" to keep an eye on. Making ground with solo tours as well  as a couple of very tasty support slots, he's certainly making a name for himself as well as turning out a creditable debut album Made Up My Mind.

Connor has just launched a Kickstarter fund appeal to record his 2nd album. 29 days still to run, Connor hopes to have the album done by the end of January 2021 ready for the big, delayed tour with The Who in March.

Made Up My Mind - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fehAXqfBHM
This Old World - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7MRiw1WXPM

edit: 1 day in and he’s already less than £500 short of his £3000 target….

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Connor Selby

Well, 185%of the target reached and last 3 days to go.... So, if you haven't, why not?

3 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-02-11 19:02:09)

Darlington Forum - 11-2-22

Darlington Rhythm & Blues Club @ Darlington Forum - good to be back through your doors again after a couple of years. Always a warm welcome from Mike Prendergast and Ian Ross as well as one of the best coffees in Darlo.
So what drew me out? Well it was rising Blues star Connor Selby making his Darlington debut, and I've been wanting to catch this tyke for a good while now. The lad has a good respect for the more "Chicago" Blues style, masterful feel for the more BB King Blues vibe with a touch of Bobby "Blues" Bland, and have to say he gave a solid showing on stage, though I felt that it wasn't until the 2nd set that he really got his groove on; maybe a little road-rusty....? Solid, but not spectacular.

Lovely vibrato , phrasing and vocals

Just had word that Connor has been signed up to the Provogue label, part of the Mascot family; so in with some very good company.

Congratulations to Connor.

So along with Connor, as featured here, another band that's been making big noises over here is The Cinelli Brothers. They've been bubbling around the circuit, along with Connor over the last couple of years: I don't think they've had their due mention on here, so here's an introduction:-

Make You Mine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muIbfQVg0Hc
Feel So Bad - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo5iYj5fI-M

I'l be catching up with The Cinelli Bros later in the year, so expect a full, dedicated report then.

7 (edited by Curby 2023-03-03 18:35:11)

Listening to Conner's new album released today in the US and it's darn good.  Renews my faith in the blues genre I've loved so long.  However, the album isn't just limited to the blues.  There's a little soul and good pop sprinkled in.  His vocal range is a bit limited, but he pulls off a Van Morrison/Ray Charles crooning honorably.

Curby wrote:

Listening to Conner's new album released today in the US and it's darn good.  Renews my faith in the blues genre I've loved so long.  However, the album isn't just limited to the blues.  There's a little soul and good pop sprinkled in.  His vocal range is a bit limited, but he pulls off a Van Morrison/Ray Charles crooning honorably.

Just a head's up, this is actually Mascot re-packaging and re-releasing Connor's 2nd album, which we already have in the UK. That said, still in the early half of his 20s, Connor is showing great maturity and great potential to grow, possibly into another Matt Schofield...???

9 (edited by Curby 2023-03-04 07:04:00)

BansheeUK wrote:
Curby wrote:

Just a head's up, this is actually Mascot re-packaging and re-releasing Connor's 2nd album, which we already have in the UK. That said, still in the early half of his 20s, Connor is showing great maturity and great potential to grow, possibly into another Matt Schofield...???

I like the Scofield comparison.  One burning question is who did the keys on the album?  I'd have to say he practically stole the show.
After thinking more hard about the singing I'd stay with the Ray Charles comparison.  He has a good voice, but he needs to stop talking as much and sing more.  The remade album could've had a few songs left for future release as they were becoming redundant,  Those were my only complaints.  The kid seems to be the next Clapton on guitar and get that keyboard player a permanent place in the band.  8/10 rating.

The keyboards are handled by a guy called Liam Dunachie.

Not one of the "usual suspects" over here, so I've poked around a bit. I kind of get the impression that he was "slumming it" sessioning on this album as it's not mentioned in his discography, along side the likes of Hugh Pascall, Chris Maddock Quartet, Lauren Bush & Beverley Knight, to name a few.

Very impressive C.V. classically trained (Trinity College, Cambridge) and then jazz piano and arranging at the Guildhall School of Music & Drama. Liam also works in musical theatre, and has worked widely as both a Musical Director and keyboard player on a wide range of shows in both the West End and on UK Tours, including "Hairspray", "Phantom of The Opera", "Gypsy" and many others. 

One to scratch your "jazz itch", maybe...

I mistakenly said pop music earlier, but it was definitely more jazz I heard and liked.  Connor is no Eric Steckel and I hope he continues the path of longevity in his craft.

Just as a post-script, Connor is supporting Beth Hart here in the UK next week: Glasgow, Birmingham, Sheffield, Manchester & Newcastle.

(4 of those cities now have Clear Air Zones, so hope whoever's driving has checked the fees.....)