Topic: [QUESTION] What does everyone think of Joe Bonamassa?

The guy seems to be all over YouTube and constantly on tour, and is clearly a technical player, I'm just not really sure where he sits in the rankings as a guitarist. Is he consisted to be a modern marvel or an all-time great or something else entirely? I like some of his music and I can see through his playing history, band setups and tour work how he's helping to carry the torch for the blues, I just wondered what the opinion of him is from those who know way more about this than I do.

Re: [QUESTION] What does everyone think of Joe Bonamassa?

Ranking guitarists is, like anything else, highly subjective. I'm 70 years old and therefore have been exposed to a lot over the years. Personally I rank Joe top three no matter the classification. He is by far though my favorite. On this forum I think sentiment will run highly in his favor. (naturally). I think the bigger question is how does Joe's music & playing make YOU feel?

hardrain

3 (edited by DougH 2020-03-04 07:03:43)

Because Joe doesn't swing his strumming hand/arm in a windmill fashion
Or slide across the stage on his knees.
Or walking into the audience and out into the lobby playing.
Or has flash-pots and black/white lightening bolt makeup on .
Makes some people say that Joe's "men in black" attire cold on stage.

We know Joe is a 50's throw back, where musicians wore their "best suits" and "respected" their audience.
Starts on time, solid performance even when he's sick.

And he plays some mean guitar.
I like his shows.
I miss his little personal story's at half time like he used to.
His ticket prices are getting up their but still shy of Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran ticket prices.
A couple of big screens on either side of the stage wouldn't hurt.
But I know in a 3500 seat thatre it's hard to "load in" set up, "fly" the array and then "fly" screens all in time for the 8pm show.
Compared to a hockey arena tour of 27,000 people

I listen to Joe and he makes me want to play mine better every day.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

I'm old enough to have seen just about all the great ones from the late 1960's on. I've owned several large night clubs that featured rock, Blues and was also a small time promoter.
SRV, Joe Walsh, Peter Frampton, Rory Gallagher, ZZ Top,, Luther Alliso, Aerosmith and many many more have played on my stage. I am not expert enough to say Joe is the best, but what I can say is he is by far my favorite. The songs he plays, the orchestration, the tone, the class with which he does everything separates him.

The only thing we deserve, is an opportunity.  Everything else has to be earned.

Bona  who!!!
I think he is one of the best out there .
Historically compared to the OG ‘s That ruled the music sphere back in the glory days.  For some reason he hit me hard when I discovered him.Havent looked back since. I am by no means a guitar player expert.But I go by what my ears hear and my mind and body feel. Joes up there with the best .

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

"The Force is strong with this one"; as they say. One of the hardest working players out there, if not the hardest and equally prolific output which for me loses the sense of occasion.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

My wife and I are going to see him for about the 7th or 8th time tomorrow night, in Cleveland.

every time the show is over and we are leaving the Theatre, I always tell my wife..."I wish I could do that"!

I pretty much like all blues, but Joe's my fav.

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

He's better than his critics give him credit for, but not as godlike as some of his die-hard fans think.  Of course, it's subjective.  Regardless, he's a great player, a hard working musician, he writes a lot of songs I really enjoy.  I don't think he gets enough credit for his writing recently, especially since Different Shades of Blue.  He's taken it up a definite notch since then.

He's not my favorite blues player by a long shot, he's not my favorite rock player by a long shot, but he mixes the two really, really well and I listen to Joe as much as any single artist.  That says it all.

ZeyerGTR wrote:

I listen to Joe as much as any single artist.  That says it all.

It really does. And Joe is the player who made me want to start going to see live music again, because of what he plays and how he plays it. I had thought there would never be another artist who plays my music well enough to make me do that. Joe does, in spades...

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

Coach305 wrote:
ZeyerGTR wrote:

I listen to Joe as much as any single artist.  That says it all.

It really does. And Joe is the player who made me want to start going to see live music again, because of what he plays and how he plays it. I had thought there would never be another artist who plays my music well enough to make me do that. Joe does, in spades...

No Coach.Its my music but  I wil share lol!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

To answer the question more directly, look at this recent fan ranking from Planet Rock.  It's pretty representative of a lot of rankings lists I've seen in the past couple years, although Joe seems to continue moving up in most of them.

https://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-ne … -all-time/

I'd say this puts him in both the "modern marvel" and "all-time great" camps tongue.

What's this "love affair " polls have with Rory Gallagher?
I can listen to maybe 3 songs of Rory with that hit pitch shrill of a Strat ,

I think Joe should have done Tatto'd Lady over Cradle Rock

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

I don't know about rankings...everybody has their own favorite...but joe's name has got to be mentioned in the top few I would think.

After seeing him from the third row row in Cleveland Friday night, and scoring a guitar pick...I may be biased  smile

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp