Topic: cables

The last interview I read with Joe was his apathy for guitar cables "$400" (read expensive)
I thought he uses Planet Waves cables?  He said in the interview the best ones he thought were the curly cue ones that came free with guitars.

Where is the fine line between too crappy and too expensive?

Peavy cables have worked really well for me. Ive also used spectraflex and Horizon braided cables...so/so.
I bought a curly cue cable from radioshack and it lasted four years before it started to crackle.

The George L's I've never gotten to work.  But those seem more for pedals than a main guitar cable.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Re: cables

Love my George L's....but check out Evidence Audio!!! $$$$ ££££ smile

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

I dont think he was talking about a certian cable.  Just in general for gear.  The tubescreamer too.  He was on the money.  How many versions do we need

4 (edited by Rocket 2007-08-20 02:56:18)

Just the stupid descriptions tell me it's all bull. Wordy about cables??? BAH! "I never knew what I was missing"-Ha! In a pinch anyone would take about anything wouldn't they? ...having a bunch if you're torture on 'em, fine...but why spend a fortune.?! Most any new cable should suffice

gsj wrote:

Love my George L's....but check out Evidence Audio!!! $$$$ ££££ smile

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I think people pull on their cables and dont take care of them and then complain if they crackle.

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

6 (edited by gsj 2007-08-22 09:43:57)

Why have top of the range guitars & amps and connect them with cheap crappy cables? Mind you, it does get a bit silly with some of the stuff that's on the market. I know a guy that spent £300 on a mains lead for his amp.....but what's he going to plug the amp into??....the same old mains electricity as everybody else!! smile

gsj wrote:

Why have top of the range guitars & amps and connect them with cheap crappy cables? Mind you, it does get a bit silly with some of the stuff that's on the market. I know a guy that spent £300 on a mains lead for his amp.....but what's he going to plug the amp into??....the same old mains electricity as everybody else!! smile

That much to plug into the wall? If the quality of the local amps (amperes) is crappy, you're only going to what? Hear the crappy better before somethng craps out...Likely to trip a breaker or blow something moreso I would imagine..nice point gsj  The very low signal level of a guitar down the cable IS a different story.

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I use a planet waves circuit breaker (like Joe) from guitar to pedals, for the pedals I use george L's and I go to the amp with a standard Planet waves.

planet waves cables are very very good! and to me their sound is better than george l's.

Sorry for my english!!
Bye from Milan, ITALY

Hi Andy

I don't like the on/off switch on the Circuit Breaker lead. Hey, nothing wrong with your English my friend smile

*AndY* wrote:

I use a planet waves circuit breaker (like Joe) from guitar to pedals, for the pedals I use george L's and I go to the amp with a standard Planet waves.

planet waves cables are very very good! and to me their sound is better than george l's.

Sorry for my english!!
Bye from Milan, ITALY

Hi gsj,

Why don't you like the circuit breaker?

thanks
Andy

We use them in the store when a customer is trying a guitar or amp and I've spent far too much time in the past wondering why there wasn't any sound coming from the amp only to find that the lead was switched off smile

*AndY* wrote:

Hi gsj,

Why don't you like the circuit breaker?

thanks
Andy

Planet Waves make good gear all around.  I use cables made by Mark at

http://www.lavacable.com

Mogami 15 ft is $30

Canare 15 ft is $24

either of those cables are top notch and he uses high grade connectors.  DO NOT buy any crappazz Fender cables...they spend all the money on the casing and steal it back in the wire and cheap connectors.

"why isn't the number "11" pronounced "onety one"???....S. Wright.

What is supposed to be so special about their casing?

Guitgator wrote:

Planet Waves make good gear all around.  I use cables made by Mark at

http://www.lavacable.com

Mogami 15 ft is $30

Canare 15 ft is $24

either of those cables are top notch and he uses high grade connectors.  DO NOT buy any crappazz Fender cables...they spend all the money on the casing and steal it back in the wire and cheap connectors.

14 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2007-09-12 11:03:24)

*Stay away from Bullet cables...the ones with the bullet casing for connector. It weighs a lot and can fall out if your jack doesn't hold it tight enough.

Tuck 'em through your guitar strap and they won't fall out.....maybe??

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

*Stay away from Bullet cables...the ones with the bullet casing for connector. It weighs a lot and can fall out if your jack doesn't hold it tight enough.

gsj wrote:

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Or do what Status Quo did and cut a big hole in your guitar and put it through that... smile

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Status Quo also had a big hole in Francis Rossi's nose....sniff!!!! wink

kwsjb1238 wrote:
gsj wrote:

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Or do what Status Quo did and cut a big hole in your guitar and put it through that... smile