Topic: Marshall 4x12 with G12-65s for my Jubilee

So, I’ve had my 2555X Silver Jubilee Reissue for about 6 months now and I really think it’s a great amp. However, I’ve been messing with my tone with the matching 2551V with the Marshall/Celestion G12 Vintage’s but I’m not digging them. I’m looking for a 4x12 (doesn’t have to be Marshall, but would be nice) with Celestion G12-65s to see how they are with the Jubilee. Yes, I know that I could just go out and buy a new set of the Celestion 65s but I’m not looking to drop $500+ on speakers. Anyone have any leads or tips?

Re: Marshall 4x12 with G12-65s for my Jubilee

treywanvig wrote:

So, I’ve had my 2555X Silver Jubilee Reissue for about 6 months now and I really think it’s a great amp. However, I’ve been messing with my tone with the matching 2551V with the Marshall/Celestion G12 Vintage’s but I’m not digging them. I’m looking for a 4x12 (doesn’t have to be Marshall, but would be nice) with Celestion G12-65s to see how they are with the Jubilee. Yes, I know that I could just go out and buy a new set of the Celestion 65s but I’m not looking to drop $500+ on speakers. Anyone have any leads or tips?

What about the current speakers you don't like? What makes you think that a G12-65 would "fix"?

I would start actually by buying two WGS ET-65. It is my favorite speaker other than the EVH Celestion.https://wgsusa.com/et65. Much cheaper, great quality, sounds excellent. Put them in an X pattern. Mixing speakers is a great way to fill out the tone.

Of course, if you are going for a classic JB tone from back in the Jubilee days, you would be dropping a bunch more dough on speakers by going with EV12Ls.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

3 (edited by DougH 2018-06-30 10:39:25)

I second the WGS speakers.
Have a
1x12 Green Back
2x12 British Lead 80
4x12 V30

As sound different
Great price good quality

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

4 (edited by treywanvig 2018-06-30 12:00:19)

macg1 wrote:
treywanvig wrote:

What about the current speakers you don't like? What makes you think that a G12-65 would "fix"?

I would start actually by buying two WGS ET-65. It is my favorite speaker other than the EVH Celestion. Much cheaper, great quality, sounds excellent. Put them in an X pattern. Mixing speakers is a great way to fill out the tone.

Of course, if you are going for a classic JB tone from back in the Jubilee days, you would be dropping a bunch more dough on speakers by going with EV12Ls.

First, I will address what I don’t like about the current speakers, then I will go into why I think the G12-65s might help. To my ears, the G12 Vintages seem very harsh, bright, and what I would call “barky” or “growly.” Now, if I was playing some harder rock stuff or metal, those speakers would be a perfect fit. However, I am looking for a very smooth, warm tone ala Joe Live at RAH or Eric Johnson. I have watched many YouTube videos comparing greenbacks, vintage 30s, G12-65s, and many other celestions (and EV12Ls), and it seems like the 65s always come out on top. Now onto why I think the G12-65s might help my situation. Well, two reasons. One, I have a Marshall JVM 212C 2x12 100 Watt Combo and it is loaded with two different speakers, the Marshall G12 Vintage (same speakers as the matching Jube cab) and the Marshall G12 Heritage. Now, I’ve done some research on that G12 Heritage speaker and what other people think about it and from what I can tell, it is a Celestion G12-65. Between the two speakers in that combo, I much prefer the sound of the G12 Heritage (G12-65). Second, when researching this topic on the forum and elsewhere on the internet, I have found many people enjoy the tones they get out of their Jubilees with the 65s. I have also found that Joe has talked a bit about speakers around here and he said that if you don’t want to get EV12Ls (way too heavy and expensive for me) then to take a look at the 65s or Pre-Rola Greenbacks. Now, back to your suggestion of the Warehouse ET-65s. I have researched those and definitely taken those into consideration; however, when watching demos and comparisons between the G12-65s and other clones I found the ET65s to be somewhat bright and not as smooth as the Celestions. It might just be how the amps were set in the demos but I found the tone of the G12-65s to be much more pleasing to my ears.

Well, looks like buying the speakers you want is the only way. Good luck!

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

As I recall, Joe went to EV12L’s because they are bomb proof in power handling capability, not strictly for tone. He said he was tired of smelling burned voice coils mid-gig. He may have sacrificed a bit of ideal tone for longevity on tour.
Good luck in your quest.
Rick.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Joe also said about the EV's didn't could his tone and were transparent so you heard the tone of the amp not the speakers

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

DougH wrote:

I second the WGS speakers.
Have a
1x12 Green Back
2x12 British Lead 80
4x12 V30

As sound different
Great price good quality

Is your 4x12 with the V30s a Marshall? Also, what WGS’s have you used and how would you compare them to their Celestion or other brand counterparts?

RickB wrote:

As I recall, Joe went to EV12L’s because they are bomb proof in power handling capability, not strictly for tone. He said he was tired of smelling burned voice coils mid-gig. He may have sacrificed a bit of ideal tone for longevity on tour.
Good luck in your quest.
Rick.

Yes I remember him saying that quite a bit. However I remember him saying back in 2009 that he preferred the sound of the EVs to anything else. Here’s his quote for reference:
“It doesnt matter how many watts you use.. The Electro Voice 12L classic or Zakk Wylde really create a warmth that I dont find anywhere else.  Its a true sounding speaker.. What ever the amp is giving you the speaker will reproduce.  I highly recommend them.. If you dont want to use EV- a vintage Rola Celestion 65 will take you home.. If you have some bucks and want a original Fane, or greenback thats fine but not el-cheapo...  Good luck, listen and let your ears and the reaction from the amp tell the tail.. Dont buy into hype...  stay Coca cola and Pepsi..(Warren Buffet style) not Whole Foods brand.
Joe B”

Glad you found that. It helps a lot to have roadies around to haul those heavyweight cabs too.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Had that same amp until recently and I used it with a 2x12 Marshall cab loaded with a mixed set of WGS ET65 and Veteran 30. It was a really good combo and I was able to get close to Joe's Jubilee tone from the Borderline gigs.

Don't forget that when you're talking about the RAH gigs etc, he was running other amps alongside the Jubilee which would change the tone me were hearing.

If you're looking for a smoother sounding speaker, I would also suggest the, often overlooked, WGS ET90. Bit less mid-range bite than the 65 but now my go to speakers.

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

Adrian J wrote:

Had that same amp until recently and I used it with a 2x12 Marshall cab loaded with a mixed set of WGS ET65 and Veteran 30. It was a really good combo and I was able to get close to Joe's Jubilee tone from the Borderline gigs.

Don't forget that when you're talking about the RAH gigs etc, he was running other amps alongside the Jubilee which would change the tone me were hearing.

If you're looking for a smoother sounding speaker, I would also suggest the, often overlooked, WGS ET90. Bit less mid-range bite than the 65 but now my go to speakers.

Before you switched over to the WGS’s, did you ever run through any other speakers like Vintage 30s, G12T-75s, or any other WGS speakers? If so, how would you compare them to the ET65s?

13 (edited by SOFTMC 2018-07-10 06:39:01)

I have a Jubilee 2553 for 10 years

tried a lot speakers in my opinion G12-65 OR greenbacks are best for this amp EVL 12 is ok but not as good sounding (thicker and darker) greenbacks are the brightest but remember this is a dark sounding amp . for low volumes i prefer g12-65s

Also for comparison Joe at borderline sound is vastly different from Joe new day yesterday live yet  both use silver jubilees if you prefer the borderline sound then find out what speakers he was using in those cabs to mu ears borderline sounds like EVM12Ls where NDY live sounds like greenbacks

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

SOFTMC wrote:

I have a Jubilee 2553 for 10 years

tried a lot speakers in my opinion G12-65 OR greenbacks are best for this amp EVL 12 is ok but not as good sounding (thicker and darker) greenbacks are the brightest but remember this is a dark sounding amp . for low volumes i prefer g12-65s

Also for comparison Joe at borderline sound is vastly different from Joe new day yesterday live yet  both use silver jubilees if you prefer the borderline sound then find out what speakers he was using in those cabs to mu ears borderline sounds like EVM12Ls where NDY live sounds like greenbacks

In my opinion, the NDY Live tone sounded much better than the Borderline tone. The Borderline sounded very strange to me and not like the Jubilees usually sound. However, the NDY tone sounded very familiar, maybe a bit bright for my taste but nothing that couldn’t be adjusted by some EQing. I’ve been trying out some different cabs but haven’t tried my 1960TV cabinet with G12M-25s. I have a feeling that will be my favorite out of all of them. Another big thing that I discovered: I opened up the back of my Jubilee last night to check the bias and it was set a 87 mV on each side! Marshall recommend 70 on both sides so no wonder I found it very bright and harsh! I backed it down to 70 and am waiting until tonight to try it out again. Will let you know what it sounds like biased correctly through some V30s.