73 (edited by DougH 2019-02-18 10:51:32)

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

Barb, you really think those surveys are really seen by Joe or his mgr?
I don't think so,
Back 2012 when Joe was under fire about his ticket prices was really last time he was here on his own forum. Prices have still increased.

Latest album really has nothing for me,
I know some here on the forum are cranked about it.. but not me and several other people I know.
Which is making it hard to convince people to come out and see Joe at +$165 seat for good up close seats.
And with the more often usage of the F-bomb now, I know several that have un-followed him on Twitter.

Will I go seen him again, sure, he and the band can play.
Something I'm struggling to play anything half decent.
What he can do with his little finger I can't do with 10.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

74 (edited by bobbeyond1313 2019-02-18 14:38:54)

gary wrote:

I think the horns and back up singers will always be a debate.
  There will always be a faction not into it .
To me it’s like kinda having 2 different joe Bands. But the other band without them  is in retirement for now !!

BarbieD wrote:
dsproule wrote:
dsproule wrote:

Joe is just not as good right now.  He doesn’t have the same passion.  My goodness his concerts ruled not that long ago. I listened today to his Tour de Force album in Royal Albert Hall, and it just killed. I attended several of those concerts, and they were mesmerizing.  I’ve attended three of the change in direction concerts, and they just don’t do it for me.  His previous band was way better.  Coach, please don’t attack me.

It happens to artists.  They start out all piss and vinegar, but eventually run out of creative juices.  That’s where Joe is right now, to me.  His new set list doesn’t alter that opinion.

I do not completely disagree with some of your points. I am not overly excited about this set list (or that the singers are still around). Seems like same sh*t, different day, again. I'm just trying to keep in mind that I wound up loving the Indy show last fall and, believe me, nobody was more surprised by that than me! Joe can still tear it up and he did so that night. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised again in Chicago next month. Attending both shows.

And what about those Facebook surveys? I recall taking two surveys a couple or so months apart about 3 piece band vs full band and 3 piece won both times (or was it the same survey and I took it twice?). I was so hoping for a major change this spring but it was not to be. That said, I would miss the horns. It's just too much with them and the singers.

Sadly Could Not Agree More...Seeing him March 14, 2019 and hope for some changes in the set list and Arrangements by then!!! And It would be great if they ditched the Horns and Backup singers for at least 1/2 the show!!!!

I wonder how long it will take before this current caravan of musicians becomes either a burden to tour or finally a bore for Joe? I mean the logistics have to be something.
   To me it would seem that the man with a million vintage guitars might want to just rip on them in a trio.I am not all in on the horns but not all out.But if I am honest with myself I would prefer a change back to a trio or a 4 piece. At least for a while.
I am not feeling this is going to happen anytime soon.I am still good with the current set up though.Given a choice I would go to more Joe and guitar.
   I hate to see long  time big time fans drop off the bonawagon for the changes.
  Musical tastes are so personal.
   Part of the big picture I see is that if Joe stayed in trio for this long his music might sound too samey.At least he is trying to keep things moving around.And that’s where I am at as far as the horns. I now have had a good fill and enjoyed the detour and would be ready for some blistering power trio type music.For some reason it doesn’t look like that is in the cards.
  I’m still all in on everything. BCC helps when you need a heavy guitar Joe fix as well.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

The horns and backup singers have allowed Joe to expand his horizons, rather than contract his visions. 

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket wrote:

The horns and backup singers have allowed Joe to expand his horizons, rather than contract his visions. 

Rocket

You are 100 percent right Rocket.
So it will always be a dilemma when an artist make some changes as in a progression off what you may have fallen in love with at the time you found the artist.
  I have loved all of Joes albums and I personally think he has put out higher quality studio albums as time marches on.
That doesn’t mean I would like a change back.As I have stated. There is a difference I believe in something that you really like and say that’s great versus something that completely blows you away. There is no way you can make the exact music for years and years where it becomes stale and why listen to the same old same ol.
So I  see that Joe really needed to go to the horns and back up singers.And I must say he has done a fantastic job with incorporating them into his blues blues rock sound.At some point even this will change I would think.When that might be who knows.

Your rock candy baby

FWIW I remember when he was putting album after album out each year it seemed the quality was going down a little. Personally I didn't care for Black Rock at all and barely listen to it so I was on that fence of not really keeping up with him anymore by that point. When Driving Towards the Daylight hit I was floored!! Come to find out he was changing things up and using the writers out of Nashville and then started the every 2 yrs solo release. The in between years still provided us with new music (other projects, live shows, etc...) but the solo releases every 2 yrs provided us with more quality solo albums.

Redemption feels like Black Rock to me. It's not bad by any means and I've listened to it a lot but I feel it's a huge step down from Blues of Desperation and I"m just hoping it's not a sign of of history repeating itself. He's adding a 2nd guitar player on recordings, how long before it's in the live shows permanently? I'll be on the fence again when he starts touring like BB King did. Of course I'll still love the music but would probably just catch the live DVD's instead of going to the shows. (will still buy those damn lapel pins though, at this point I can't stop! haha)

holeshot1982 wrote:

Personally I didn't care for Black Rock at all and barely listen to it

- What?!! You don't like Black Rock? How is it even possible? I love Black Rock. My second favorite Joe's album. First is Redemption.

reo l wrote:
holeshot1982 wrote:

Personally I didn't care for Black Rock at all and barely listen to it

- What?!! You don't like Black Rock? How is it even possible? I love Black Rock. My second favorite Joe's album. First is Redemption.

Ues, even in Bonaland there can be vast differences in the like of a particuliar album.
There have been several rank your Joe albums posts here in the forum   best to least and people have some pretty wide options on those too.
  It has not been unusual for some big fans to not like some album or another that much. It is interesting the psychology of it.

Your rock candy baby

holeshot1982 wrote:

Personally I didn't care for Black Rock at all and barely listen to it so I was on that fence of not really keeping up with him anymore by that point. When Driving Towards the Daylight hit I was floored!! Come to find out he was changing things up and using the writers out of Nashville

What?!! You don't like Black Rock? How is it even possible? I love Black Rock. My second favorite Joe's album. First is Redemption.

LOL, different strokes for different folks.  I really dig Black Rock, but Driving Towards the Daylight is by far my least favorite record of is.  That said, I don't *think* he started working heavily with Nashville writers until Different Shades of Blue but I'm not Bonahistorian.

Want to add a dash of humor here: idea! how about some dancers in the mix lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJZY4_2ogDU - awesome moves

reo l wrote:

Want to add a dash of humor here: idea! how about some dancers in the mix lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJZY4_2ogDU - awesome moves

Joe’s already had them on the ANDY live DVD, although in fairness I think they worked at the venue rather than being part of the band.
Bluegrass clog dancing might work?

And there's the problem. Horses for courses. Difficult to please all of the people all of the time and that is the difficult path Joe must take. I have to agree, on a personal note, with holeshot re Black Rock and sadly Redemption. Neither seem to be up there with the rest. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

ZeyerGTR wrote:
holeshot1982 wrote:

Personally I didn't care for Black Rock at all and barely listen to it so I was on that fence of not really keeping up with him anymore by that point. When Driving Towards the Daylight hit I was floored!! Come to find out he was changing things up and using the writers out of Nashville

What?!! You don't like Black Rock? How is it even possible? I love Black Rock. My second favorite Joe's album. First is Redemption.

LOL, different strokes for different folks.  I really dig Black Rock, but Driving Towards the Daylight is by far my least favorite record of is.  That said, I don't *think* he started working heavily with Nashville writers until Different Shades of Blue but I'm not Bonahistorian.

I'm not much of one myself but I'm pretty sure Daylight was the first album he did the Nashville thing with. But yeah I wasn't trying to bash anything or anyone that loves Black Rock, just didn't didn't for me... Except for Prisoner

holeshot1982 wrote:
ZeyerGTR wrote:
holeshot1982 wrote:

I'm not much of one myself but I'm pretty sure Daylight was the first album he did the Nashville thing with. But yeah I wasn't trying to bash anything or anyone that loves Black Rock, just didn't didn't for me... Except for Prisoner

“Prisoner” was on Dust Bowl...

Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Bird on a Wire and Blue & Evil came from Black Rock.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

Rocket wrote:
holeshot1982 wrote:
ZeyerGTR wrote:

“Prisoner” was on Dust Bowl...

Rocket

Safe to assume then he does not like any track on Black Rock

Your rock candy baby