Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

gary wrote:

Yes Rocket good point ! This post is our forums version of the movie Cocoon.All is old timers woke up and came alive again for awhile!

Harsh but fair... big_smile

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

gary wrote:

Yes Rocket good point ! This post is our forums version of the movie Cocoon.All is old timers woke up and came alive again for awhile!

Now if we can just find a way of drawing Joe back onto here....

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

Jane H. wrote:

I did notice that Joe's facebook questioned recently asked again 'which small club would you like to see Joe play?'
not that i think it would be a change of direction or any permanent type thing...I kind of remember it being brought up that they were considering a small tour of the US at some of the smaller venues he used to play...you know before he made it bigger in the UK and then they did the borderline , Mr. Kyps etc in recent years....

so....there may be something already planned? IDK
https://www.facebook.com/JoeBonamassa/p … mp;theater

They also took a poll of which band was preferred - 3 piece or full blown. I believe 3 piece won.

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Alls good with horns unless BCC adds a horn section!!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Jane H. wrote:

I did notice that Joe's facebook questioned recently asked again 'which small club would you like to see Joe play?'
not that i think it would be a change of direction or any permanent type thing...I kind of remember it being brought up that they were considering a small tour of the US at some of the smaller venues he used to play...you know before he made it bigger in the UK and then they did the borderline , Mr. Kyps etc in recent years....

so....there may be something already planned? IDK
https://www.facebook.com/JoeBonamassa/p … mp;theater

Would like it if he also did a small club tour (rather than 1 off shows) here in the UK as well. Maybe next year we'll get something like that leading up to the 10th Anniversary RAH show(s)....

I'd prefer as a 4 piece with keys so that we can have Sloe Gin back in the setlist!!

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

gary wrote:

Alls good with horns unless BCC adds a horn section!!

Your comments always make me smile Gary! smile how about harp ? smile

Those talking about ditching anything - watch this! made my morning. What an amazing, excellent band ! If I ever win a lottery I'll be at every Joe's concert!!!

03/24/2018 Boogie with Stu and Last Kiss high def https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjUriBVjsBk

I think the horns, back up singers and backup guitar player for that matter are great for the tributes he does in the summer. But I'd rather see him with just drums/bass/keys. And leave the rest at bay until the summer comes around. Before long, he will be like BB King, a full orchestra! LOL

I wonder if his move away from his pedalboard/marshall's contributed to his decisions?

holeshot1982 wrote:

I think the horns, back up singers and backup guitar player for that matter are great for the tributes he does in the summer. But I'd rather see him with just drums/bass/keys. And leave the rest at bay until the summer comes around. Before long, he will be like BB King, a full orchestra! LOL

I wonder if his move away from his pedalboard/marshall's contributed to his decisions?

I have thought the same thing when he first mentioned how much he liked having the horns.His early influence of B.B. maybe driving this direction to some extent.
  I am enjoying it enough now but I do think a change back could be a good thing at some point in the not too distant future.
But who knows he hasn’t gone through his polka phase yet !!

Your rock candy baby

I am with dropping the back up singers myself. The horns are ok, but I discovered the Power Trio Joe in 2005  and I crave that sound. I am very happy for all the success Joe has experienced, so maybe My advice should not be listened to, since he seems to be doing just fine.
Maybe back off on the back up singers just a little. Sometimes they are overwhelming.
Just my 2 cents on this subject.

29 (edited by DougH 2018-04-01 09:20:45)

I'm not sure Joe would "sound the same" if he went back to the power trio.

When he first studied Howl'n Wolf and Muddy Waters for the Muddy Wolf tribute.
Then further study of the 3 Blues Kings (BB/Freddy/Albert).... his playing style changed a lot.

His playing, vibrato, solos all changed.
I don't think he can revert back.

Although I'd prefer not the "big band" sound and miss the ANDY - Rockplast playing.
Or that quiet to soaring note he used to play.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

DougH wrote:

I'm not sure Joe would "sound the same" if he went back to the power trio.

When he first studied Howl'n Wolf and Muddy Waters for the Muddy Wolf tribute.
Then further study of the 3 Blues Kings (BB/Freddy/Albert).... his playing style changed a lot.

His playing, vibrato, solos all changed.
I don't think he can revert back.

So maybe if he reconnected with his earlier Eric Johnson roots it might remind him of what he can do.

Jane H. wrote:

interesting...i was searching around yesterday to see if I might find anything Joe said before about type of band etc....I was vaguely remembering something that made me think maybe I heard him say something like he always wanted the bigger band...still unsure but in the process I found this older post he made in 2010 about his playing

".....Ry Cooder, Paul Kossoff, Eric Clapton and Eric Johnson are my primary inspirations.. "

https://forum.jbonamassa.com/viewtopic. … 48#p168548

I was gonna put it in a Bonatrivia question but hey that was 8 years ago...I wouldn't doubt it but I wonder if he would say the same these days....

Those kind of inspirations don’t fade away.  If you know Joe, it’s a foregone conclusion, by virtue of repetition, that Mr. Riley B. King is an eternal inspiration and not mentioning it is because there’s no need to overstate the obvious.

...and it’s not just about musical styles or creative spirit...

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Thanks Jane for finding that.
Kind of tells you basically forget about the New Day Yesterday Era because it’s an old day now!
That being said I don’t know how you can discount his playing on BOD there’s some crazy good soloing all over it and BCC too.
So I think he still has another 15 Trips around the sun left in his dyalthium crystals! They just may be in a ship through the space debris .
Now beam me up Scotty!

Your rock candy baby

I remember that thread. Thanks for the dig Jane.
Seems like he’s covering all the bases so far. What’s the next excursion?
Bluegrass?
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

34 (edited by sally12333 2018-04-03 15:24:49)

RickB wrote:

I remember that thread. Thanks for the dig Jane.
Seems like he’s covering all the bases so far. What’s the next excursion?
Bluegrass?
Rick

Haha Bluegrass.  Maybe if he recruits his bandmates he can expand into string-accompanied Barbershop Quartet??

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

No.Has to be polka.Nothing else before polka.For Octoberfest !!

Your rock candy baby

I like the horns and the backup singers.  I think my wife's favorite part when we saw Joe last year was the backup singers, esp Jade MacRae.  I liked hearing the horns and backup singers on Dustbowl, Slow Train, Oh Beautiful, and Song of Yesterday (Thanks Natasha for recording 3 of those songs).  I don't think they would work as well on The River, Story of a Quarryman, and Spanish Boots. 

I think for the casual Joe fan like my wife, the horns and backup singers are more interesting versus the 3 man power trio like the Borderline album.