1 (edited by Curby 2018-02-25 00:02:34)

Topic: Rainbreakers' Rise Up EP

I can't remember if someone mentioned this band here, but I picked up their Rise Up EP and it's pretty good stuff.  Not the 12 Bar blues but a modern/old take on the music I seem to gravitate to lately.  My only complaint is the short length of the album.  These guys are pretty good.

https://youtu.be/5U33RJXkGuc

Re: Rainbreakers' Rise Up EP

Hey Curby.I think I made a post last year on this.No matter I love it and it’s an ep so yes too short.Hope they make a lp
One of the better new bands from last year for me!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

gary wrote:

Hey Curby.I think I made a post last year on this.No matter I love it and it’s an ep so yes too short.Hope they make a lp

Thanks Gary.  I figured someone here must have alerted the forum about this band.  The EP is a real gem.

4 (edited by BansheeUK 2018-02-26 06:38:44)

Curby wrote:
gary wrote:

Thanks Gary.  I figured someone here must have alerted the forum about this band.  The EP is a real gem.

Mia Culpa;

This is what I said about their previous EP Bold Not Brass, back in 2016:-
Heard quite a bit of buzz about these guys recently, so snapped up the chance to see them locally; one of my best decisions this year. With a range between 90’s Britpop & 60s R’n'B its difficult to pin Peter (bass), Jack (lead guitar), Ben (vocals & rhythm guitar) & Sam (drums) down to one particular style, but the mix is a glorious sound that they’ve distilled out of it; there’s a great mash-up of Albert Collins & Jimi Hendrix in the set as well as stormin’ self compositions like Blood Not Brass & Ain’t Nothing Goin’ On. They’re not hiding behind rocking things up, mid-set there’s a great cover of Wood Brothers’ Honey Jar (and I’d pass on Ben’s tip to check out Wood Brothers if you’ve not heard them before), with it’s tricky changes throughout the song. And closing a gradually building set was a cover of Cher’s Bang Bang, steering well away from Bon Jovi and closer to Terry Reid. No big, long solos, but every song is well crafted and the balance between Ben’s vocals & Jack’s guitar works really well, solidly backed by cool bass lines from Peter & slightly understated drumming from Sam.

There’s definitely somethin’ goin’ on, and you really need to catch the guys. Best new band I’ve heard this year; liked ‘em so much, I bought the t-shirt!"

Since then, Jack had been replaced by new guitarist, Charlie and the Rise Up EP was his first outing with the band. No major change in their overall sound, but to be honest, I didn't really find it as satisfying as it's predecessor.

Rainbreakers' latest EP - Rise Up

Five very classy tracks; On My Own; Rise Up; Waiting On You; Perception & Living Free.

Definitely growing in confidence from previous EP, Ben Edwards vocals a lot more to the fore. Good mid-paced mumbers but just wish the lads would let loose once in a while.....

The acid test is on the road, and the one time I have managed to catch them, they blew the headline band off the stage (name withheld unless arm twisted), but I've not yet managed to catch any show since Charlie took over on lead guitar.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

I'll check the first one out Mike.  I do like the new one.

BansheeUK wrote:
Curby wrote:
gary wrote:

Mia Culpa;

This is what I said about their previous EP Bold Not Brass, back in 2016:-
Heard quite a bit of buzz about these guys recently, so snapped up the chance to see them locally; one of my best decisions this year. With a range between 90’s Britpop & 60s R’n'B its difficult to pin Peter (bass), Jack (lead guitar), Ben (vocals & rhythm guitar) & Sam (drums) down to one particular style, but the mix is a glorious sound that they’ve distilled out of it; there’s a great mash-up of Albert Collins & Jimi Hendrix in the set as well as stormin’ self compositions like Blood Not Brass & Ain’t Nothing Goin’ On. They’re not hiding behind rocking things up, mid-set there’s a great cover of Wood Brothers’ Honey Jar (and I’d pass on Ben’s tip to check out Wood Brothers if you’ve not heard them before), with it’s tricky changes throughout the song. And closing a gradually building set was a cover of Cher’s Bang Bang, steering well away from Bon Jovi and closer to Terry Reid. No big, long solos, but every song is well crafted and the balance between Ben’s vocals & Jack’s guitar works really well, solidly backed by cool bass lines from Peter & slightly understated drumming from Sam.

There’s definitely somethin’ goin’ on, and you really need to catch the guys. Best new band I’ve heard this year; liked ‘em so much, I bought the t-shirt!"

Since then, Jack had been replaced by new guitarist, Charlie and the Rise Up EP was his first outing with the band. No major change in their overall sound, but to be honest, I didn't really find it as satisfying as it's predecessor.

Rainbreakers' latest EP - Rise Up

Five very classy tracks; On My Own; Rise Up; Waiting On You; Perception & Living Free.

Definitely growing in confidence from previous EP, Ben Edwards vocals a lot more to the fore. Good mid-paced mumbers but just wish the lads would let loose once in a while.....

The acid test is on the road, and the one time I have managed to catch them, they blew the headline band off the stage (name withheld unless arm twisted), but I've not yet managed to catch any show since Charlie took over on lead guitar.