Topic: Plexiglass Baffle Question

So recently I’ve been messing with the tone from my Marshall 2555X Silver Jubilee Reissue with the matching 4x12 cabinet loaded with the Marshall-branded Vintage 30s (Celestion G12 Vintage). I have noticed that I really like the tone coming from the amp when I am standing to the side of the cabinet (at maybe a 30-45 degree angle), but when I move to in front of the cabinet, it sounds very harsh. Would a plexiglass baffle like the one Joe uses help with this issue? Thank you very much!

Re: Plexiglass Baffle Question

Probably will help

I know lots of places sell "beam blockers" for over the cones to reduce the shrill.

Do you have 100hrs on the speakers yet?
Cones will be tight for a while and you'll hear a difference as the speakers break in.
Put the in your garage. Run an mp3 player on them starting at low volume gradually increasing to a loud volume over a few days.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

DougH wrote:

Probably will help

I know lots of places sell "beam blockers" for over the cones to reduce the shrill.

Do you have 100hrs on the speakers yet?
Cones will be tight for a while and you'll hear a difference as the speakers break in.
Put the in your garage. Run an mp3 player on them starting at low volume gradually increasing to a loud volume over a few days.

I have heard about the beam blockers, but wondering if the plexi baffles would be a better choice because it will take away some of the harsh highs where the beam blockers just diffuse them. I don’t think that the speaker break-in has an effect on how you hear the amp from different angles, but I could be wrong.

Here is a thought....when you listen in the front and it’s harsh that’s the tone the audience hears. So I would work on fixing that first. Baffles are for just that push the sound upward so it does not blow the eyeballs out of your audience in the front row. If your tone is harsh adjust until you like what you hear in the front.

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

i have bought beam blockers and have really liked them. It's less to carry because they're permanently attached. I used to "pass" on taking my plexi shields to gigs. They're great for anything with a closed back... especially 4x12's.

I've since gone to some smaller open back cabinets and combos, and for those I like the plexi shield, even though I know the beam  blocker does the same job.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool