Topic: Let's talk speakers

So, Christmas present to myself this year was a Marshall 2555x Head and 1936V 2x12 cab.

Now before we get into whether I should have gone for a Ceriatone or original Jubilee, I didn't because they were more expensive and I like the tone from the 2555x - whether it's accurate to the original or not.

Anyway, I'm still breaking in the Marshall cab and plan to leave that as is, however in a few months I will be buying a JCM2000 DSL50 and 1960 4x12 cab off of a friend. I'm thinking of running a dual amp rig (when gigs allow) with both the 2555x and DSL50 running through half of the 4x12 each...would allow me to have a split delay/reverb set up as well!!

I'm stepping up to the more complex rig after years of just using Fender combos, but I've realised that the sound in my head has changed significantly and I was constantly frustrated with my Deville (which may or may not be getting sold)...

So, aside from the Marshall G12 Vintage that I have in my 2x12, what other speakers work well with the Jubilee? I don't think I'd be able to make the most of EV's, but what about Classic Lead, either Celestion or WGS?

I'm already thinking of a Greenback type speaker for the DSL50.

Also, would I notice any difference between having the cab wired so one amp is the left 2 speakers and the other the right 2 vs having them wired diagonally?

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

2 (edited by Rusty 2017-12-24 09:34:21)

Re: Let's talk speakers

"would I notice any difference between having the cab wired so one amp is the left 2 speakers and the other the right 2 vs having them wired diagonally?" I knew someone who played around with this concept about twenty years ago. I think that beyond a few feet away you wouldn't notice much difference.

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

Hey

Think the greenbacks work really well with the Jubilee also G1265 S The reason is they are bright speakers which suits the darker sound of the jubilee DSL 50 will pair well with a jubilee also  also found out recently that a Boss BD2 Suits as a boost for the jubilee and brings some nice top end for lower volumes happy experimenting

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

SOFTMC wrote:

Hey

Think the greenbacks work really well with the Jubilee also G1265 S The reason is they are bright speakers which suits the darker sound of the jubilee DSL 50 will pair well with a jubilee also  also found out recently that a Boss BD2 Suits as a boost for the jubilee and brings some nice top end for lower volumes happy experimenting

Was considering trying a WGS ET65 mixed with a WGS Retro 30, so sounds like that might be a good plan. I'm reticent to try Greenbacks due to the power of the amp....maybe a Creamback though...

Will be a few months before I get the DSL50 and 1960 cab anyway....might experiment in the 1936 cab in the meantime afterall....

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional

Oh, as for boost. I'm following the route set by Slash, along with many other Jubilee users I am certain, of putting an EQ pedal in the loop to give a solo boost...combined with a slight mid-boost on the eq as well gives a really fat sound!! Can't wait to get this amp out for gigs....sadly my next one isn't until late February....but planning on getting into a rehearsal room before that with my new trio!!

So have been doing some more reading, thinking etc and am considering running a pair of 2x12 cabs with the jubilee. I can a used 1936 cheaply enough, or even one of the chinese MX212 cabs, which don't seem too bad when I've looked at them - just let down by the speakers fitted to them.

Either way, what I'm considering is leaving my 1936V as is with the Marshall Vintage speakers and then converting the second 2x12 to a semi-open backed cab and fitting a pair of WGS ET65 speakers in there. I would then stack the open backed on top of the closed back at gigs to aid me hearing the amp when I'm stood in front of it...though like the idea of getting a plexi baffle at some point.

What do you folks think? Would this work well? I've always been an open backed combo player previously and am missing the room filling quality of those amps with the closed back 1936V. I'm figuring that I would get best of both with this set up. I'd still get the increased bass response from the closed back cab, but also the increased spread from the open backed one.

Here's the speakers I've run in the past:

2x12 EVM12L - Black Labels
1x12 Eminence Governor (Like celestion Vintage 30)
4x12 Celestion Vintage 30s
4x10 Peavey Classic Tweed speakers
1x12 Celestion Gold
1x12 Eminence Cannibis Rex
1x12 Eminince Swamp Thang

The EV's where the heaviest weight, potentially the loudest, and seemingly the most transparent for the amps. I know JB used to use EV's because of how heavy duty they were, and you could even play a bass through them. A critique is that they sound a bit "sterile" if you're used to speakers coloring your sound a bit. These didn't seem to color your amp's sound any.

The Governor didn't have the ice-pick treble the V30 had. Very comparable.

The Swamp Thang and Cannibis were among the cleanest sounding... though the Cannibis Rex was on the dark side... would be best paired with a super bright amp like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

The Celestion Gold had the most "personality" to my ears, as I couldn't put a finger on what EQ it favored most, it just sounded like it blossomed everywhere.

It's Fun to play with speakers, but I've since graduated to playing with tubes. They take up less space! big_smile

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

1x12 Celestion Gold

The EV's where the heaviest weight, potentially the loudest, and seemingly the most transparent for the amps. I know JB used to use EV's because of how heavy duty they were, and you could even play a bass through them. A critique is that they sound a bit "sterile" if you're used to speakers coloring your sound a bit. These didn't seem to color your amp's sound any.

The Swamp Thang and Cannibis were among the cleanest sounding... though the Cannibis Rex was on the dark side... would be best paired with a super bright amp like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

The Celestion Gold had the most "personality" to my ears, as I couldn't put a finger on what EQ it favored most, it just sounded like it blossomed everywhere.

It's Fun to play with speakers, but I've since graduated to playing with tubes. They take up less space! big_smile

Thanks. I can't stretch to EV's though wink

Have just secured a second 1936 cab off of eBay for a steal. Planning on converting it to a 3 piece back with the middle portion removable (so I can play around with open backed).

I am thinking of trying ET65's in it - I loved them in my old Deville and WGS recommend them to pair with their version of the V30...if I like what I hear then I'll probably put an ET65 and a V30 in each.

I was wondering about Classic Lead speakers - anyone able to chime in on how they compare to V30's or ET65's?

Anyone on here using Creamback's with their Silver Jubilee..??

Adrian J wrote:
NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

1x12 Celestion Gold

Thanks. I can't stretch to EV's though wink

Have just secured a second 1936 cab off of eBay for a steal. Planning on converting it to a 3 piece back with the middle portion removable (so I can play around with open backed).

I am thinking of trying ET65's in it - I loved them in my old Deville and WGS recommend them to pair with their version of the V30...if I like what I hear then I'll probably put an ET65 and a V30 in each.

I was wondering about Classic Lead speakers - anyone able to chime in on how they compare to V30's or ET65's?

Anyone on here using Creamback's with their Silver Jubilee..??

I’ve been using the matching 2551AV cabinet with my 2555x. Sounds great with some EQ adjustments, mainly lowering treble and adding some lower mids with a tube screamer or something similar.

I have never swapped out a stock speaker or tube in my life and have always found the sweet spot in the gear I'm using. I find chasing a sound through gear is a lot harder, and frequently just more expensive, that getting the gear you have make the sounds you want. Maybe you're at Bonamassa's level and it will make a difference. If I can get near a Silver Jubilee I will make it sound good with Marslands.

Adrian J wrote:

So, Christmas present to myself this year was a Marshall 2555x Head and 1936V 2x12 cab.

Now before we get into whether I should have gone for a Ceriatone or original Jubilee, I didn't because they were more expensive and I like the tone from the 2555x - whether it's accurate to the original or not.

Anyway, I'm still breaking in the Marshall cab and plan to leave that as is, however in a few months I will be buying a JCM2000 DSL50 and 1960 4x12 cab off of a friend. I'm thinking of running a dual amp rig (when gigs allow) with both the 2555x and DSL50 running through half of the 4x12 each...would allow me to have a split delay/reverb set up as well!!

I'm stepping up to the more complex rig after years of just using Fender combos, but I've realised that the sound in my head has changed significantly and I was constantly frustrated with my Deville (which may or may not be getting sold)...

So, aside from the Marshall G12 Vintage that I have in my 2x12, what other speakers work well with the Jubilee? I don't think I'd be able to make the most of EV's, but what about Classic Lead, either Celestion or WGS?

I'm already thinking of a Greenback type speaker for the DSL50.

Also, would I notice any difference between having the cab wired so one amp is the left 2 speakers and the other the right 2 vs having them wired diagonally?

The biggest problem that I see you can have is phase related issues running two amps. You will first need a transformer isolated head switching/ splitter to remove the dc ground loops. I suggest a Palmer switching unit or a Lehl unit. These are pricy but they are the best. They have top notch isolation transformers. You will need to spend time ensure you have the correct phase relationship between speakers and amp. I would not connect them diagonally that will complicate your phase problems. I have done this and the best results are with two independent cabs for each head. Easier to correct phase issues. You will need to put the time in to get it right or you will end up with a thin tone when you blend the two heads. You can also run into ac ground loops also. Good luck if you get it right you will love the sound

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

12 (edited by NickelWound 2018-02-06 23:39:30)

OK so everyone on here knows that Ron knows his stuff and, oddly enough just last night I came across this video that really explains what he is talking about (maybe you already know) but I had no clue this was so 'involved' until I saw this video. big_smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYdkKI5w3Lo

NickelWound wrote:

OK so everyone on here knows that Ron knows his stuff and, oddly enough just last night I came across this video that really explains what he is talking about (maybe you already know) but I had no clue this was so 'involved' until I saw this video. big_smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYdkKI5w3Lo

Well your way too kind. I do want to stress if you go this route the only you will be happy is to get either a Lehl or a Palmer amp switcher. They use the best isolation transformers to ELIMINATE ground loops. Radial also is another. The down pretty expensive. I do know if you get a cheaper one and the ground is not completely gone you will not be happy. The dc ground loop hum will drive you nuts. Also keep in mind you need to watch out for ac hum. Can come from bad power or the two heads are not on the same circuit. I suggest also picking up a Hum X by by Ebtech. You plug one of your amps into this then it plugs into the wall outlet. It has a iso transformer that breaks the ground loop with the other head. Well happy gear geeking
Cheers Ron

"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

One small correction Ron. There is no such thing as DC hum. What you hear is the rectifier ripple riding on top of the DC. This is usually from those small pedal “wall wart” power units which don’t have adequate filters. Otherwise spot on.
Rick (with my ee hat on)

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

15 (edited by cindyron 2018-02-07 09:26:23)

RickB wrote:

One small correction Ron. There is no such thing as DC hum. What you hear is the rectifier ripple riding on top of the DC. This is usually from those small pedal “wall wart” power units which don’t have adequate filters. Otherwise spot on.
Rick (with my ee hat on)

Technically you are correct But it’s the ride on the dc offset is why it’s called DC hum as apposed to the 60cycle from the ac in the wall.

So had chance to try the Jub and DSL50 together at my friend's house the other night and wasn't actually that impressed with the DSL50. Didn't seem like it really added much...

...making me have a rethink yet again...now thinking that I might just go the whole hog and invest in a Ceriatone OTS amp...

...I'm never satisfied am I!!

Oh and ended up trying a WGS ET65 and Veteran 30 in my 2x12 and love it. Those 2 work really well together and suit the sound I'm wanting from my Jub..!!

I have a pair of wgs et65's in my bluesbreaker and they are perfect!