1 (edited by xavier 2017-11-07 04:36:55)

Topic: Joe's controversial thoughts on pedals

http://www.guitarplayer.com/artists/101 … assa/64291

I was very surprised comments like this came out, and I hope they're an exaggeration.

And I have huge respect for Joe but is it really fair to slate other guitar players like this?

Fair do's if he thinks a blues sound may not warrant a vast array of pedals, but there are thousands upon thousands of guitar players out there who have used pedals to craft a proportion of their sound.

And as an artist with a signature Dunlop Wah, Fuzz Face and Way Huge Overdrive isn't it the slightest bit hypocritical to be attacking pedal users in this way?

Granted he use a lot less that he did but it's not a viewpoint he has had all his life. He was a user of many pedals once upon a time.

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Black + Gold Hardware, PRS SE Santana Yellow, Ovation Double-Neck Semi-Acoustic, Ovation Celebrity CC44 Honeyburst, Gibson 2008 Les Paul Standard Heritage Cherry Sunburst (#10), Gibson Robot Les Paul Studio 2012 Limited, Gibson 1976 Les Paul Custom Heritage Cherry Sunburst

2 (edited by reo l 2017-11-07 08:15:22)

Re: Joe's controversial thoughts on pedals

Joe is talking about musicians who can't play good  and trying to mask their mistakes,  inability and lack of talent with pedals. Surprisingly many people took it personally - I wonder why?..

PS: here is the whole interview, not just this out of context part http://www.musicradar.com/news/joe-bona … king-lazy. Please read it.

Nothing controversial in my eyes. You get to a certain age in your life when you just say things without holding back, Joe is saying out loud what I thought whilst watching all these young bands on Glastonbury this year. I'm sure a lot of players feel this way.

reo l wrote:

Joe is talking about musicians who can't play good  and trying to mask their mistakes,  inability and lack of talent with pedals. Surprisingly many people took it personally - I wonder why?..

PS: here is the whole interview, not just this out of context part http://www.musicradar.com/news/joe-bona … king-lazy. Please read it.

While I'm sure that was his intention, it's not really the same as Joe wanting to cut down on his pedal selection.
If it were then that would imply he thought he was one up on every else for doing so.

It still reads like an excuse for a rant at something that never really affected him.

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Black + Gold Hardware, PRS SE Santana Yellow, Ovation Double-Neck Semi-Acoustic, Ovation Celebrity CC44 Honeyburst, Gibson 2008 Les Paul Standard Heritage Cherry Sunburst (#10), Gibson Robot Les Paul Studio 2012 Limited, Gibson 1976 Les Paul Custom Heritage Cherry Sunburst

I took it more as a dig at people who use a guitar through endless effects thinking that they're some sort of guitar God, or the next Edge etc.

When he uses terms such as "soundscape" that's all I can think of.

Bit like years ago when Sambora had a dig at the nu-metal guys for not really playing solos any more!!

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

6 (edited by masque 2017-11-07 12:01:47)

Considering that some of the greatest players and tones of all time come from players like Alex Lifeson, Eric Johnson, David Gimour and Steve Vai (all heavy effects/pedal users), I am hoping that Joe was just feeling a bit grumpy or that his actual thoughts on the matter weren't clearly expressed.  Perhaps, he is talking about these guys that play "ambient" guitar on youtube?  I dont know.

regardless, I love a good raw, in your face tone as much as anybody ever has.....BUT, I also see the value and creativity that well used pedals can provide in creating and expressing yourself in song.

as it was written, I don't really agree with Joe.....However, I will bet money, that his true thoughts are more detailed and thoughtful than what was presented in story.  It could and I hope be the classic example of "comments taken out of context" kind of thing.  LOL.

Yeah I bet it was an interview that Joe did that was taken and written completely out of context to get this reaction. We are all talking about them. So let’s stop and remember that Joe has been taken out of context before and I am sure he will be again. I just wish there was a way to stop these trolls from doing this

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

It showed up briefly on Instagram but was quickly removed. Makes you wonder. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

9 (edited by reo l 2017-11-08 22:02:06)

PSmith1946 wrote:

It showed up briefly on Instagram but was quickly removed. Makes you wonder. big_smile

Yes, I saw it. It was a picture of his pedals from this tour, just 2 pedals. But all kind of trolls and just plain profanity-spewing a****ls flocked in there to say nonsense and just unload a bunch of dirt. Think about it: some people, whose opinion even about a cheese sandwich you woudn't care about, now have an ability to type their ill and ignorant thoughts on social media. Sad.

10 (edited by DougH 2017-11-08 10:23:04)

We know he doesn't like 'sampilars' for years ,
which are those that use samples (aka drum machines, synth sampled keyboards that mimic other instruments, lip-sync or auto voice correct during concerts etc) that simulates"real" playing talent.

Using samples makes you a composer vs a musician.

He's commented many times during concerts how each one of his band has spent hours/years/decades learning their instruments.

Although Joe does have a number of "custom" made pedals in his name, since he did the Howl'n Wolf Muddy Waters tribute and into the 3 Kings tour, he's been using less and less pedals harking back to the music of the 50's where guitar - amp - talent made the music

As we know Jimmy Hendrix made music masterpieces with pedals,  but Jimmy could play before pedals too.

I know when I have pedals on it hides many of my mistakes

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

Click Bait Headline. I have had one interview in my life by a newspaper outlet. It was about my rehearsal facility shortly after opening it. The writer was a musician recently retired from the road to raise a family. After the prepared questions were asked we sat down and shot the **## for about 15 minutes. I figured the interview was over but the only quotes he printed were from the BS session. I was cutting up and joking how isn't it funny how women fall in love with you while your playing in a band and as soon as they marry you they can't wait for you to quit. When the article came out my wife was waiting at the door with my suitcase in hand. She kind of took it personal for some reason. I had to explain how I was quoted out of context and the writer I felt was letting me say the things he wished he could to his own wife.

I have a feeling Joe was having a conversation and the guy picket the most controversial quote he had to run with. Sensationalism sells in music mags too.

jim m wrote:

Click Bait Headline. I have had one interview in my life by a newspaper outlet. It was about my rehearsal facility shortly after opening it. The writer was a musician recently retired from the road to raise a family. After the prepared questions were asked we sat down and shot the **## for about 15 minutes. I figured the interview was over but the only quotes he printed were from the BS session. I was cutting up and joking how isn't it funny how women fall in love with you while your playing in a band and as soon as they marry you they can't wait for you to quit. When the article came out my wife was waiting at the door with my suitcase in hand. She kind of took it personal for some reason. I had to explain how I was quoted out of context and the writer I felt was letting me say the things he wished he could to his own wife.

I have a feeling Joe was having a conversation and the guy picket the most controversial quote he had to run with. Sensationalism sells in music mags too.

Yup they are all  inconsiderate irresponsible trolls

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Joe's put a post up on Instagram making fun of the article so I suppose textbook case of out-of-context.

I certainly feel totally stupid for taking it seriously.

Guitars:

JOE'S answer. https://www.instagram.com/p/BbRVg55HfYU … ebonamassa There you go. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Comments, trolls, misquotes whatever. I have two words on the use of pedals... Doyle Bramhall.

NickelWound wrote:

Comments, trolls, misquotes whatever. I have two words on the use of pedals... Doyle Bramhall.

Win!

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD