Topic: Jethro Tull - 50th Anniversary.

JETHRO TULL’s IAN ANDERSON TO TOUR THE UK IN APRIL 2018

Personally, just seems like yesterday I went to a 40th Anniversary show…... must have been one of those “new day yesterday"s…...

It was on the 2nd of February 1968 at the world-famous Marquee Club in Wardour Street that Jethro Tull first performed under that name. The group would go on to become one of the most successful and enduring bands of their era, selling over 60 million albums worldwide and entering the cultural collective consciousness along the way.

To celebrate this golden anniversary, Ian Anderson will present 50 years of Jethro Tull in eight UK concerts during April 2018 as part of the worldwide touring schedule. Other tour dates to be announced soon.

The debut album, This Was, was released later that same year. Founder, frontman and flautist, Ian Anderson, is rightly credited with introducing the flute to rock as a front line instrument, not to mention the codpiece!

Jethro Tull are one of the biggest selling Progressive Rock artists of all time and their immense and diverse catalogue of work encompasses folk, blues, classical and heavy rock.

The anniversary concerts will feature a broad mix of material, some of it focussing on the earlier formative period through to the “heavy hitters” of the Tull catalogue from the albums This Was, Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung, Thick As A Brick, Too Old To Rock And Roll: Too Young To Die, Songs From The Wood, Heavy Horses, Crest Of A Knave and even a touch of TAAB2 from 2012.

Band line-up will probably be:- Ian Anderson (who he?); Florian Opahle (guitar); Scott Hammond (Drums);
John O’Hara (keyboards); David Goodier (Bass).
Some mention has been made of “past members appearing in virtual form” - make of that what you will.

Dates:-
Apr 03 2018
Manchester    O2 Apollo Manchester (M12 6AP)

Apr 05 2018
Newcastle upon Tyne       Newcastle City Hall (NE1 8SF)

Apr 06 2018
Edinburgh       Usher Hall (EH1 2EA)

Apr 07 2018
Liverpool    The Auditorium Liverpool (L3 4FP)

Apr 09 2018
Bristol    Colston Hall (BS1 5AR)

Apr 10 2018
Birmingham    Symphony Hall (B1 2EP)

Apr 11 2018
Cambridge    Cambridge Corn Exchange (CB2 3QB)

Apr 17 2018
London    Royal Albert Hall (SW7 2AP)

(On sale from 31st Aug)

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Jethro Tull - 50th Anniversary.

Birmingham, Alabama ? OK, I am all in for that...... I know, just could not help it. I was fortunate to see them 3 times including the Aqualung and Thick as a Brick tours, probably my fav of this genre until I ran into Rush. Ian took very good care of himself through the years, so you get a 50th anny show, bravo for him. It must have been the rabbits that kept him young all those years, not sure that he raises them any longer ???

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Re: Jethro Tull - 50th Anniversary.

Haha - that would make for an interesting 1st leg US tour, along with Manchester, New Hampshire; Newcastle, Oklahoma; Edinburgh, Indiana; Liverpool, New York; Bristol, Tennessee; Cambridge, Massachusetts; and Liverpool, Kentucky. (Smacks of an Off-Topics thread here - "stolen UK place names"...)

Would have been good to have played a gig at the original Marquee Club in London, but that, at 90 Wardour St, closed in 1988 though it did move to Charing Cross Rd until 1996. Many a legendry band played, or even had residency at the ol' Marquee Club.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...