Topic: Gig Review Poole (Tues), Mr Kyps - By Alan Raishbrook

Joe Bonamassa and Mr. Kyps! What a combination. The atmosphere of the clubs I used to go to in the seventies coupled with the most powerful music I've heard for a long time. He's got a great stage presence but at the same time is a real nice person who genuinely enjoys playing for his audience. All I could hear on the way out on Tuesday night were comments such as "Awesome, Brilliant, Fantastic, Incredible" etc. etc. Even the acoustic guitar session was played with power. He has the ability to balance the soft and loud playing just right, ensuring that you get that burst of excitement as the music suddenly changes from gentle, quiet tones into a massive riff.

I've only recently heard Just Got Paid and already it's wedged itself in my head as definite classic. There is an excitingly powerful guitar opening and some great vocals by Joe and when you mix all that with the stonking drumming and bass, you get perfection. If you also like slow blues done with energy then Joe's your man as well. There was nothing he did on Tuesday that was not brilliant in every way. Even when the amps went off during a particularly great slow blues number, they came back when it was fixed and just started from where they left off, with spot-on timing. True professionals!

I've seen a lot of the great guitarists like Tony Iommi, Paul Kossoff, Ritchie Blackmore, Pete Townshend, John Mayall, Eric Clapton etc. and without doubt Joe Bonamassa is right in there with them and I have to say, better than some.

Review by: ALAN RAISHBROOK