1 (edited by jbailes 2016-12-06 17:07:24)

Topic: Very low wattage tube amps ( 5 - 20w)

I imagine there's quite a few here who have or have had a "practice tube amp" like this (not solid state) for various reasons or just plain enjoyment. And I've been thinking of going that route. I 've always been told that the harder you drive a tube amp, the better tone you get out. I checked out some Marshalls today, 15 and 5w, and I had no idea that 5w could be that loud! I did notice that they had lower headroom, which for me is not a deal breaker. Presently, I have 2 Mesa 50w combos and 1 Peavey 60w combo. I may or may not get rid of maybe one of these, but am interested in a good sounding high gain low output amp. If you could suggest 1 or 2, I'd appreciate it.

Re: Very low wattage tube amps ( 5 - 20w)

I've had great luck, with the Blackstar HD20 ( available as a head or 1x12 combo) You should also checkout
the Orange OR15 or the Fender Bassbreaker 15. For quite a bit more $$ I currently use a Fuchs Blackjack 21
mark 2. All of these "low power" amps will keep up with all but the most aggressive drummers out there. I
use all of these amps for both rehearsal and gigs. Larger shows i just throw a Sennheiser E609 in front of
the speaker and run through the PA.Good luck in your search. Have some fun!!!
Cheers
Fred

Guitars..'07 Custom shop 58 flametop, '11 JB studio goldtop, Nash custom aged 63 strat, Breedlove custom shop quilted Jumbo.
Amps etc: Fuchs, Blackjack 21 Head, Retro Channel RR1 Retro wreck head, Marshall 2601 Cabs loaded with eminence
Lady Luck 75 watt 12's. J.B sig Wah, J.B. FET driver, Keeley modded TS9, Boss DD3, CE2, Tu2
Pickboy 1.50 pix, EB power slinkys.

Well this will probably be a short thread since I grabbed a used Laney tony iommi  15w combo. Has a tasty blues sound, good for Skynyrd, and of course Sabbath/Metallica. Covers all the bases.

I like the Marshall Class 5 and have recently found the low budget thrills of the Fender Bass Breaker 007.

JBLP (aged) 293, JBLP STD, JB ES-335, JBLP Studio, JBLP Goldtop Epi, JBLP Inverness Green Epi.

After seeing JB in an interview cranking a silverface Fender Champ (in a dressing room loo no less!), it got me intrigued. Usually play through an '84 jcm 800 50w combo but at home, it's pointless. Have a little dsl 201 which is fine. But I started to formulate the idea of buying an amp from my birth year. In a great shop local to me (Charlie Chandler in Hampton Wick - a bit of a legend in guitar land) have just found a '77 5 w champ where the serial number in the main transformer is dated within a week or so of my birthday (in April 1977).
It absolutely roars when cranked and is wonderful at home (when the kids are out :-)

Matt

Gibson Les Paul Traditonal 2012, Washburn WP80 1989, 2007 Fender American Series Tele, 1984 Marshall jcm800 4104, 2001 Marshall DSL 201, 1977 Fender Champ

Can't go wrong with the Egnater Tweaker 15.

jddarden wrote:

I like the Marshall Class 5 and have recently found the low budget thrills of the Fender Bass Breaker 007.

+1

Love my Class 5, and that thing is loud af... lol

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

The trouble with even a 5 watt tube amp is the ability to get some real 'tone' out of it without cranking it to full on and as mentioned above, you have to wait until the family leaves to use it. So here comes the blasphemy.... A modeling amp like a small Marshall or the Fender Mustang. An older model of both can be picked up for cheap.

The advantage is simply this. You can play one watt and sound like Gilmour, Trower, Joe. My wife can read her book or sleep in the next room while I try my best Jimi and because they're modeling amps, no pedals, connecting cables, no fear of the neighbors. You just pull it out and play it. If you've never tried the 'Bassman' setting with some distortion on a Fender Mustang (even an old one) I would respectfully say give it a listen. I guarantee the sound will blow you away it is so close to the original. With the advantage of being at one watt.

I now use a Boss Katana 100 . Absolutely superb amp with 0.5 watt 50 watt and 100 watt settings and also headphones. The quality is truly amazing it just takes time to get the best from it (like any amp). The response and feel is like a tube amp, the volume absolutely awesome. All that and the ability to play with 58 different Boss pedals ( yes I know but its fun before you program your eight channels for what you like). I know there are haters of anything without valves but check one out. The foot switch is necessary as you can turn on and off effects whilst playing. Check out the 50 watt version with a real band situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMgFDnxkRkQ  big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)