Topic: Joe on GuitarWank

GuitarWank is a podcast featuring Scott Henderson and Bruce Foreman - two killer players.  This week they were talking about songwriting, and at the very end Scott was talking about getting out of the box and talked about how much he loved the opening track to one of Joe's albums, which started with just the bass drum and riff.  He couldn't remember the name of the song. smile

I thought it was cool to hear, because it's my favorite podcast (R-rated, light-hearted and hilarious and also really insightful) and they usually talk about jazz and fusion guys.

If you haven't, give it a listen!

Re: Joe on GuitarWank

sounds cool, got a link?
what was the song???? smile

3 (edited by ZeyerGTR 2016-09-13 15:26:43)

Re: Joe on GuitarWank

Jane H. wrote:

sounds cool, got a link?
what was the song???? smile

The latest episode is here (which at time of this thread is the one w/ Joe):
http://www.guitarwank.com/podcast/

He mentions it at the very end, maybe a few minutes left.

You can also get it via iTunes, PodcastAddict or any other podcast service - search for "guitarwank"

Their site is here:
http://www.guitarwank.com/


What is the song... that's a good one!  He couldn't remember.  His description was "it's the opening track to one of Joe's albums, it starts with just the kick drum, then a riff [which to my ears sounded like the BoJH riff - he just sort of sang it], and then there are some nice, interesting jazzy chords."  Looking at the opening tracks to Joe's albums, I'm not sure what exactly fits the bill.  I wonder if Scott's memory was a little cloudy and it wasn't the opening track... or I'm just not hearing it.

4 (edited by Jane H. 2016-09-13 21:34:07)

Re: Joe on GuitarWank

thanks for the link.....that BOJH lick is pretty famous......didn't it get some sort of official acknowledgement in a guitar mag or something, i forget but remember it being top ten licks of the year or something???? smile
I'll try to check it out
and share about the podcasts, my brother prob be interested for sure, thanks

Re: Joe on GuitarWank

ZeyerGTR wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

sounds cool, got a link?
what was the song???? smile

The latest episode is here (which at time of this thread is the one w/ Joe):
http://www.guitarwank.com/podcast/

He mentions it at the very end, maybe a few minutes left.

You can also get it via iTunes, PodcastAddict or any other podcast service - search for "guitarwank"

Their site is here:
http://www.guitarwank.com/


What is the song... that's a good one!  He couldn't remember.  His description was "it's the opening track to one of Joe's albums, it starts with just the kick drum, then a riff [which to my ears sounded like the BoJH riff - he just sort of sang it], and then there are some nice, interesting jazzy chords."  Looking at the opening tracks to Joe's albums, I'm not sure what exactly fits the bill.  I wonder if Scott's memory was a little cloudy and it wasn't the opening track... or I'm just not hearing it.

High Water Everywhere from You and Me.

6 (edited by Rocket 2016-09-14 00:34:21)

Re: Joe on GuitarWank

jim m wrote:
ZeyerGTR wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

sounds cool, got a link?
what was the song???? smile

The latest episode is here (which at time of this thread is the one w/ Joe):
http://www.guitarwank.com/podcast/

He mentions it at the very end, maybe a few minutes left.

You can also get it via iTunes, PodcastAddict or any other podcast service - search for "guitarwank"

Their site is here:
http://www.guitarwank.com/


What is the song... that's a good one!  He couldn't remember.  His description was "it's the opening track to one of Joe's albums, it starts with just the kick drum, then a riff [which to my ears sounded like the BoJH riff - he just sort of sang it], and then there are some nice, interesting jazzy chords."  Looking at the opening tracks to Joe's albums, I'm not sure what exactly fits the bill.  I wonder if Scott's memory was a little cloudy and it wasn't the opening track... or I'm just not hearing it.

High Water Everywhere from You and Me.

I'd think so, it fits the album opener and Jason Bonham's K^ick drum is, ahem, prominently pounding away, so that's a close to exact match, too.  The Bridge To Better Days riff could confuse somewhat as the same Thump is present, but with snare as afterbeat instead.  All 3 of those are killer effing righteous riffing rockers... big_smile None start out with just the kick drum though wink


Rock & Riff ON & Keep The Pumping Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Re: Joe on GuitarWank

Jane H. wrote:

High Water Everywhere from You and Me.

That's definitely in, thanks!

Re: Joe on GuitarWank

ZeyerGTR wrote:
jim m wrote:

High Water Everywhere from You and Me.

That's definitely in, thanks!

FIFY - fixed it for you wink

Re: Joe on GuitarWank

Jane H. wrote:

thanks for the link.....that BOJH lick is pretty famous......didn't it get some sort of official acknowledgement in a guitar mag or something, i forget but remember it being top ten licks of the year or something???? smile
I'll try to check it out
and share about the podcasts, my brother prob be interested for sure, thanks

12th Best rock riff of the year ( roll ) by some unamed or obscure magazine...


Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Re: Joe on GuitarWank

In the intro to the latest GuitarWank podcast, the host mentioned they sat down with Joe recently, so he'll be on an upcoming episode.  Can't wait!

Re: Joe on GuitarWank

Just a heads up that there's a short preview of his sit-in with the GuitarWank crew at the end of the latest episode (and a short clip of Robben Ford, who's also coming up).  I'm pretty excited he's going to be an upcoming guest.  I can't wait to hear the whole thing.  In the preview snippet he talks for a couple minutes about his home studio.

Re: Joe on GuitarWank

FYI, Joe is the guest on the latest episode of GuitarWank - it's an hour-long conversation.

Re: Joe on GuitarWank

cool thanks for link. I listened a little but also recently got my ipod nano back in action so got it on there and will finish when I have more time. I thought it would be more over my head guitar talk than anything but so far found out some interesting stuff Joe shared otherwise smile