Topic: Just got back from Ilinois & Missouri

Left on wednesday from our home in Sachse, which is near Dallas, TX. to drive to Great Lakes, Ill to see my brother Andrew, who is 18 now, graduate from Navy boot camp[. Drove from there to Joplin, MO, where we stayed the night. Next morning, we got up, had breakfast at the Waffle House next to the hotel, then got back on the road and drove the rest of the way to Great Lakes. Combined driving time on both Wednesday & Thursday was over 14 hours. We stayed at a Days Inn there in Great Lakes, which is not recommended, as it's not comfy at all. Ate dinner at the Full Moon restaurant, which was no good at all either. Got up early friday and headed to the naval base where the ceremony was being held. Was cool to see all the navy guys graduate, all 496 of them!! Saw my brother afterwards, and was glad to see him. He had a few hours of liberty, so we all took the train into Downtown chicago, walked around some, and ate as well. We were gonna go into the sears tower, but it was about 3pm, and we had to catch the 4:30 train back to Great Lakes, so we didn't do that. We took the train back, and got in the car and drove a few miles to Lake Michigain, which is a huge lake!! Walked around the beach a bit, but didn't swim. After that, we went back to the base, where we said goodbye to my brother, and got back on the road. We decided to stop in Branson, MO on the way back, and see if there was anything fun to do there. We drove about 3 hours to Springfield, Ill for the night and slept there. Next morning, had breakfast at Golden COrral near the hotel, then drove the 5 hours to Branson. Branson is a bit tourist trap today!! Lots of shops, theaters, etc. We saw a titanic exhibit, and a Tribute to legends show, which features impersanators of different musicians. Both were ok, but not worth what tickets cost. Ate at a steakhouse called Montana Mike's, which wasn't that good. Spent the night in Branson, then got up and ate at a place called Billy Gail's, which has a great breakfast!! The pancakes I got were literally the size of hubcaps!! They gave me two, but I Only ate one!! Was pretty full afterwards. Got back on the road, and took a slightly different route back. Drove through Arkansas, and saw alot of the ozarks. That's a pretty way to drive. Got back home to Sachse at around 3 or so. Had a nice trip in all, but it's good to be back home to sleep in my own bed, use my own shower, etc.

Re: Just got back from Ilinois & Missouri

bluesdeluxe25 wrote:

...."We drove about 3 hours to Springfield, Ill for the night and slept there."

Gooo!!  Drove right past Bloomington!  If I'd have seen this earlier I would have let you know that you coulda stayed there and caught the Walter Trout show!  Bloomy is only one hour from Springfield on I-55.  Rats.

"You can't put a price on cool."

Re: Just got back from Ilinois & Missouri

I grew up about 20 minutes from Great Lakes.Not much in the way of goods eats in the close area.Or great lodging.Lots to do in Chicago in the summer.Navy Pier and millennium park with free music.
Lots of neighborhood festivals as well.
If you get the chance ,nice in summer with plenty to do.Need to spend a few days in Chicago.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky