1 (edited by BansheeUK 2016-09-05 09:10:40)

Topic: Buck & Evans

About time these had a thread of their own methinks....

Aug 19th - Cluny2 Newcastle-upon-Tyne

“Darlings” of (what maybe the now defunct) Blues magazine, it kind of makes you wary of hype, but the tasters on the CDs and the YouTube clips, don’t just peak the curiosity, they make Chris Buck & Sally-Ann Evans a “must see”, and Friday night saw their first visit to Newcastle and The Cluny; and what a debut show.

Getting things moving (after a 10hr drive) were Swansea’s BigFeat, a 5 piece with strong Southern Rock influences, without sounding dated. Really got the crowd behind them, and the evening to a great start, despite the travel delay. Given a longer set, I think Big Feat alone would have been worth the £8 entry ticket, and hope they’ll be back soon.

The night though belonged to Chris & Sally-Ann who received a great roar as they took to the cramped Cluny2 stage, and from the get-go, they showed why they’re deserving of such high acclaim. Whatever serendipity or whoever convinced them to join forces; ( Chris previously showed his talents with “The LongHorns” on the Postcards from Capricorn album) for a one-off show, may his bathroom be forever free of tigers, as Chris & Sally-Ann just blend so seamlessly together; their both outstanding musicians in their own right, but have great on-stage reading and respect for each other, giving each other the space to shine while coaxing each other to reach that little bit higher.. This is best shown on the Otis Redding cover Dreams To Remember. Slow Train was the song that the well attended house was waiting for, and the guys didn’t disappoint, Chris was like a caged animal on stage, being so cramped, his guitar lead kept snagging the headstock of his spares, or was that those incredible dreadlocks? Whatever, he showed almost contemptuous ease at throwing out blazing riffs, but the solos were delicious slices of texture, range and scope, reminiscent of guys like Steve Morse; Sally-Ann has the passion and soul of Ann Wilson; this is fused with an almighty backline of (some-time AC/DC) drummer Bob Richards and bassist Dominic Hill and the end result is my new favourite band.

Some really great songs just flew by over the set, Run Cold, and epic Screaming Ain’t No Moonlight, Going Home, Impossible, they just threw one storming performance after another at The Cluny. They may have edged their bets, Cluny2 and pricing low, but it was a solid house worthy of the main room, and next time round, that room will be packed tighter than Tom Daley’s trunks.

What we want now, is a full album and a worthy UK tour…...

Touch of Chris in action....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ent3BkZ4a4

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Buck & Evans

Chris & Sally-Ann are hitting the road again this summer:-

MAY 28TH - MERTHYR RISING FESTIVAL
JUNE 10TH - PRINCESS ROYAL THEATRE, WALES
JUNE 17TH - STONE FREE FESTIVAL, 02 LONDON
JUNE 24TH - AZKENA ROCK FESTIVAL, SPAIN
JULY 21ST - ASYLUM, BIRMINGHAM
JULY 23RD - JIMMY'S, MANCHESTER
AUG 18TH - HUG AND PINT, GLASGOW
AUG 19TH - CLUNY 2, NEWCASTLE
SEPT 15TH - NEW CROWN, MERTHYR

No word as yet on any new product, CD-wise, but you never know.

This young man is extraordinary. Although I'm not a huge fan of the Buck and Evans combo. I really think it's time for Mr. Buck to strike out alone in a blues/rock venture power trio thing. He seems to have taken up the mantle of John Mayer and taken that whole melodic thing to places it never went before. A truly exceptional talent that, at least for me, is being held back by his band. (No offense meant to Evans she's a great singer).

4 (edited by BansheeUK 2017-06-13 03:24:24)

Chris put out an interesting album back in 2013 - Postcards From Capricorn  (under the name Chris Buck & The Big Horns); mainly covers but worth checking out. And Chris grins like a Cheshire cat if you can show him you have a copy.

I'd still like to see what sort of album Chris & Sally-Ann can put together; they have a great rapport on stage. I do know though that Chris is uncertain about his vocals; he's quoted as saying he has a singing voice "like a goose farting in the fog".

Wow!  Postcards From Capricorn... that is an amazing album! Thank you so much for the insight.

6 (edited by BansheeUK 2017-06-15 06:52:32)

NickelWound wrote:

Wow!  Postcards From Capricorn... that is an amazing album! Thank you so much for the insight.

Happy to pass on a good turn.

Chris covering Machine Gun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZehA5B9x60

Buck & Evans + Slash - Voodoo Chile - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE5lO5sA1Fg

Amazingly (I'm in Canada) I found a copy of the Deluxe CD/DVD 'Postcards from Capricorn' and ordered it immediately. Thank you again for the heads up. Love your posts. and Machine Gun.... well... who has words for how this young man can play. Thanks again.

I coincidentally have been listening to their EP due to a review and really like their sound.I do hope they release a full abum as there is a lot of potential.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Chris and Sally-Ann are on Pledge Music to sponsor their debut album if anyone's interested; loads of goodies.....

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/buckandevans

Sat. 19th August - Cluny2

Second time back at The Cluny, and almost to the day, Buck & Evans returned to Newcastle and delivered a show that was, quite simply “Chuffing Awesone”, I’d use the Glasgow vernacular but then I’d have to censure myself….. Last year’s show was a good ‘un, but this: maybe it was because they weren’t reeling from a 10hr drive from Cardiff to Newcastle, or maybe they were no longer intimidated by Geordie’s leeks; this showing was simply off the chart.

Foregoing a support band, Chris, Sally-Ann, Bob & Dominic came on to do a short, semi-acoustic set of older, quieter numbers; some covers and even the odd one maybe destined for the upcoming album. The mini-set built to their take on Going Down; my overall impression was that it was like listening to Little Queen era Heart.

After a brief break, they came back on stage and just erupted into their first number. However, 2nd song in, the epic Slow Train, was slightly de-railed; let’s just call it “the eBay mix” and move on, though there should be a follow-up track, Red Star Parcels, to even things up. This only served to lighten the mood, the whole evening was dotted with good-humoured leg-pulling on stage, but the very instant stick hit skin at the start of every song, they were locked in and nailed it. Sally-Ann has a great range. power and emotion in that great voice, from a quiet whisper to a roaring tornado. As I’ve said previously, she blends in so well with Chris’ guitar work as he builds sonic lightning from the lightest touch to fret blazing fury, teetering on the edge of the stage, head back, eyes rolled back and lost in the moment. All the time, Rob & Dominic shaking the foundations with their mighty backline.

Outstanding moments? Don’t ask - too many. Their take on Otis Redding’s Dreams To Remember though is just magic; Sally-Ann captures Otis’ emotive & soulful quality then Chris starts at Steve Cropper style break and runs with it, morphing it into a beast of a solo before winding it back down. That’s not to cast a shadow over their own material, much of what’s to come on the new album was showcased and if I’m any judge, it’ll be a must-have album for 2017.

Repeating myself again, the rapport these guys have on stage, not just as professional musicians but on a personal level is amazing and makes them a “must see” or even better a “must book” band. Word is certainly getting round in Newcastle; this year they took the tables out and still the audience packed the balcony. Cluny 2 may not be the biggest venue, I’ll grant that, but the ROAR at the end of the show would match any I’ve heard at the O2 or even City Hall. So yes, “Chuffing Awesome” just about covers it.

WOO-HOO - they made their Pledge target over the week-end..... Countdown now for the album release......

(Think there's still chance to but a pledge in to swell the pot...)

Some dates for the summer - hopefully debut album will be out for the tour:-

AUGUST 19TH - CHEPSTOW CASTLE W/ KING KING
AUGUST 23rd - HARE & HOUNDS, BIRMINGHAM
AUGUST 24TH - THE CLUNY 2, NEWCASTLE
AUGUST 25TH - THE GARAGE, GLASGOW
SEPTEMBER 21ST - Hoxton SQUARE BAR AND KITCHEN, LONDON

24th August - Newcastle;Cluny2

Absolutely bloody fantastic night last night down in Cluny2; the annual visit by Buck & Evans; and this time they’ve got an album to promote. Chris’s guitar playing was on fire and Sally-Ann’s vocals were searing; superb Natural Woman in tribute to Aretha was just one of many highlights from a show that kicked off with an ironic acoustic Screaming. Building steadily until the Slow train arrived at the station and then it was a great ride. Bob and the ever impassive Dominic held everything together while Chris & Sally-Ann provided the perfect storm upfront.
Not only their musical communication,t the on-stage but on-stage chat ranging from dodgy driving to wonky-donkeys was homely as it was “fab-lous”. They deserve bigger rooms than Cluny2, to match their huge sound; but hopefully not at the cost of this initmacy they have with the audience.

Speaking of their debut album;-
O.K., well the arrival of Chris & Sally-Ann’s debut album while I’ve been away was a bit of a highlight. Much anticipated, it certainly lives up to the anticipation after a series of tasty EPs since their formation. Very please to see that Slow Train makes it as the opener, but in keeping the album as all originals can’t help but be a little disappointed that their re-working of Otis Redding’s Dreams To Remember isn’t included. That said, none of the tracks can you dare to dismiss as mere filing or dressing.

I don’t know how many buttons this is going to press with folks, especially if their expecting freetboard fireworks from Chris in the style of his old solo debut; the real treat for the ears is more the strum und drang that happens between the guitar and Sally-Ann’s soulful howl. These two elements are nailed together by the superb backline of drummer Bob Richards and bass of Dominic Hill. All this together makes a band reminiscent of post-pastoral Heart. (That’s not to say they don’t have a softer side as was demonstrated on last year’s tour.)

My partner summed it up more succinctly while I was giving it a blast - "is that Heart or Fleetwood Mac?"

Got the covers album, Postcaeds From Capricorn.  Nice album.

15 (edited by BansheeUK 2018-09-04 02:35:33)

Curby wrote:

Got the covers album, Postcaeds From Capricorn.  Nice album.

Chris would like that; as he wrote on my copy when I showed it - "that's doubled the sales".
Don't expect much in the way of "shock & awe" in the guitar dept. of the Buck & Evans album, it more sort of sneaks up on you. However, as a friend of mine said, it has the feel of an fourth or fifth album by a band, rather than a first; they are all just so intuitive of each other.

Sorry I had to resurrect this thread for the simple reason that I know Buck & Evans have released their new CD here in 2018 but where do I go to buy it? Can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone else know?

17 (edited by BansheeUK 2018-10-09 02:55:34)

NickelWound wrote:

Sorry I had to resurrect this thread for the simple reason that I know Buck & Evans have released their new CD here in 2018 but where do I go to buy it? Can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone else know?

I've checked the obvious - their website store, and surprisingly no sign..... Also checked Pledgemusic.com where the album was generated but unfortunately that's closed down (until their next venture, it says, promisingly).

Only thing I can suggest is to contact Chris or Sally-Ann or their management direct via their website or social media. It is a bit strange that it's not so readily available; maybe they didn't anticipate it being sold-out.

There's one more glimmer - if anyone here is going to their final UK show of 2018 - Nov 23rd @ Newbridge Memo, maybe they'll do you a favour.....

Buck & Evans on tour 2019:_

FEB 21st - THE VIC, SWINDON

MAY 4th - THE CASTLE & FALCON, BIRMINGHAM

MAY 5th - AUDIO, GLASGOW

MAY 11th - THE GLOBE, CARDIFF

MAY 18th - THE LOUISIANA, BRISTOL

MAY 26th - JIMMY'S, MANCHESTER

MAY 27th - THE 100 CLUB, LONDON

JUNE 29th - THE PRINCE ALBERT, BRIGHTON

JULY 13th - THE CLUNY 2, NEWCASTLE