Topic: Joe's Tweeds

I know Joe has stated that he is using Celestions in his Tweed amps, but I don't remember if he said which Celestions. So, what are they?

Regarding the amps themselves, I'm wondering what tubes are used in them. NOS? Modern brand?

What rectifier tubes are used?

Finally, are 12AY7s used in V1 of all the amps per original spec or 12AX7s for more gain? NOS? Modern?

Thanks.

Bill

Re: Joe's Tweeds

It is interesting that even though forum members have a wealth of knowledge about the smallest detail of Joe's gear, no-one has yet been able to answer, or comment on, this question.

For no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity, I too would be interested to know what tubes Joe is using in his Fender amps. Joe has previously stated in regard to pedals that he likes readily available items that can be easily replaced when on the road so I wonder if the same applies to tubes. Or does he prefer NOS?

I remember reading/seeing/hearing (I can't remember which) that in his Marshalls Joe used JJ tubes but I've seen nothing in regard to the Fenders.

I don't wish to take this topic in a different direction but earlier this year I was fortunate to see Larry Carlton who was playing his ES335 through a Bludotone and as expected his tone was superb. So impressed was I that I emailed Bludotone asking what tubes they put in their amps. JJ was the answer. Of course, Larry Carlton may have changed his tubes but it is interesting that JJ, who often get bad press, are the choice of this boutique amp builder.

I think the Celestions are exactly why so many people are calling his tone "dull" these days. I would never put one in a tweed amp. Tweeds area already too midrangy to begin with. They need a speaker with more highs. Jensen C12Q or C12N are a much better way to go and is what most people use.

I don't use Twins or Bassmans. My only experience with tweeds is with my Victoria Double Deluxe homemade clone. (Basically a tweed Deluxe with four 6V6's instead of two, and with 2x12 speakers instead of 1x12.) Putting a 12AX7 in V1 doesn't give you that much more distortion and it takes away from the smoothness of the sound. Either a 5U4 or a 5R4 sound best in rectifier tubes. Yes, you'll get a little more distortion with a 5Y3, but not that much more, and you'll lose output power with one.

Believe me, if you put a 12AX7 in V1 and a 5Y3 in the rectifier socket, you'll have a very raunchy sound and almost no clean headroom at all.

Also, going the other way with a rectifier tube, using a 5AR4 / GZ34 will give you a ton of clean headroom, but you'll have almost no sag at all. Not conducive to great guitar playing.... The 5U4 or a 5R4 strike a very good balance.

4 (edited by DougH 2016-08-13 10:22:02)

It would Be nice since Joe's "on vacation" to chime in here

I think the only reason he changes the speakers in the Fender twins and tweeds is he'd blow up the original speakers in no time, being on the road like he is.
Talking original 55-56-57-58-59 Twins and Tweeds here that he uses, no clones.

I remember reading somewhere someone wrote back in like 2007 "king of dull" - which I didn't think it wsa,
but I don't think I've seen any recent reviews that state his tone is dull at all.

And I wouldn't call his tone dull in the first place,

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

bluesky636 wrote:

I know Joe has stated that he is using Celestions in his Tweed amps, but I don't remember if he said which Celestions. So, what are they?

Thanks.

Re the speakers; I heard in an interview on YouTube that he mentioned that he picked up from Keith Richards the idea of using Celestions in his tweeds, and that he basically uses the same speakers as Keef does in his tweeds.

So, what Celestions does Keith Richards use in his tweed amps?

Billy wrote:

I think the Celestions are exactly why so many people are calling his tone "dull" these days.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. While there will always be some who will never be happy with (any) tone, I have not heard anyone describe Joe's current tone as dull, in fact, just the opposite. Yes its different than 09 RAH, but that certainly does not translate into "dull".

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

Rusty wrote:
Billy wrote:

I think the Celestions are exactly why so many people are calling his tone "dull" these days.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. While there will always be some who will never be happy with (any) tone, I have not heard anyone describe Joe's current tone as dull, in fact, just the opposite. Yes its different than 09 RAH, but that certainly does not translate into "dull".

Besides, JB, I've only met one other person in my 57 years who actually liked a Celestion speaker in a Tweed amp. The one thing tweed owners can universally agree on is that all vintage Fender tweeds have a lot of midrange and need a speaker with more highs than usual to perk the amp up. The last thing you'd want for that is a Celestion.

"The one thing tweed owners can universally agree on" its impossible to get people to universally agree on anything. Again, calling Joes' current tune "dull" is nonsense, that's my only point.

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

I'd love to see a link of someone saying his tone is "dull"...... I'm thinking it would be from a non-fan. And while an internet forum is a great place to talk differences of "expert" opinion, I doubt you'll get anywhere on his fan forum. You might have better luck with that on other forums.

10 (edited by Boanerges 2016-08-14 07:12:41)

I'd really like to go back to the OP. Joe B said in an interview that he picked up the idea for Celestions in his tweeds from Keith Richards. Anybody know what Celestions Keith R uses in his tweeds?

Boanerges wrote:

I'd really like to go back to the OP. Joe B said in an interview that he picked up the idea for Celestions in his tweeds from Keith Richards. Anybody know what Celestions Keith R uses in his tweeds?

This video shows the speakers but the labels have been removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QvftmhE9pw

Apparently the brown amp with "5" stamped on is ultra rare. Not a particularly good tone but each to their own.

Billy wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Billy wrote:

Besides, JB, I've only met one other person in my 57 years who actually liked a Celestion speaker in a Tweed amp. The one thing tweed owners can universally agree on is that all vintage Fender tweeds have a lot of midrange and need a speaker with more highs than usual to perk the amp up. The last thing you'd want for that is a Celestion.

So do you have anything useful to contribute to this forum? Of your 5 posts, 4 are very troll like. I have not heard "several people" calling Joes tone dull.

His gear knowledge/experience is very well respected. Pay attention you may learn something.

jbyrd1 wrote:
Billy wrote:
Rusty wrote:

So do you have anything useful to contribute to this forum? Of your 5 posts, 4 are very troll like. I have not heard "several people" calling Joes tone dull.

His gear knowledge/experience is very well respected. Pay attention you may learn something.

That's the same thing I was thinking. I think he might find better responses to his "expert 57 yrs" opinion somewhere else

Benr08 wrote:

Joe posted a picture on instagram showing the Celestion in his Tweeds.

Ok, cool. So G12 65s then.

Boanerges wrote:
Benr08 wrote:

Joe posted a picture on instagram showing the Celestion in his Tweeds.

Ok, cool. So G12 65s then.

That is the same as Clapton...

If you notice what he said in that Instagram message.

"While the speakers are out being re-coned"

That says to me it's only temporary swap

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

I'm even less likely to "correct" Joe on anything music related as I am to lend him a few thousand dollars to escape Roy and his own record label. :-)

But maybe that's just me. :)

I was lucky enough to get a gear your last year. He told me he replaced the original 30w speakers with 80w because the originals wouldn't hold up to the tour being dimed all of the time.