Topic: Poole - 31 July

Attention all you good people going to Falmouth, Tavistock, Holmefirth and of course Poole - Joe Bonamassa and his band are back in town so get your dancing shoes on, get those feet a-marching and prepare to be blown away, bedazzled and amazed once again. 

Last night's packed-house gig at Mr Kyps in Poole was probably the best I've been to. Joe was amazing as usual and the new band lineup works so well: Carmine on bass is just sublime, Rick on keyboards gives the songs new depth (and boy can he tinkle those ivories) and Bogie … well, Bogie is simply a superb drummer (and I just love those cheeky grins).  Joe and the boys took to the stage shortly after 9.00 pm.  Me and my buddy were right at the front and at times Joe was so close I could have played his guitar with him.  This is what's great about seeing him in such an up close and personal place, you could almost be on stage with them.  Joe reminded us that his first UK gig was at Mr Kyps and that he enjoyed playing here.  He said when he was younger BB King had told him never to forget where you came from which is why Joe still enjoys playing in places like this.  Well we certainly enjoy having him here and long may it continue.

Anyways, down to the setlist:

Bridge to better days
…. no better way to open a show

Walk in my shadows
…. Joe was marching, the front row was marching (and I was thinking of you pattyluvsjoe!)

So many roads
… halfway through the song the amps cut out, no power.  Joe and the boys left the stage for two minutes whilst various techies ran about with what looked like industrial size extension leads.  We rummaged through our pockets to see if we could find 50p for the meter but hurrah the power came back on and the boys just took up where they left off.

New song from Sloe Gin don't know what it was (no doubt someone can fill me in) but I was marching again if this helps.

Sloe Gin
…. this song and Joe's voice make me go all unnecessary and weak at the knees.  We arrived early for the gig and whilst waiting outside heard them soundcheck this song all the way through so heard it twice last night.

Mountain Time
…. new more Eastern sounding opening, and seems like a different tempo to the song?  Just as great though.

High Water Everywhere
…. acoustic

Miss you hate you
…. acoustic.  Joe introduced the song by telling us why he wrote it but I can't repeat it here!

Woke up dreaming
…. simply superb, blows me away every time.  People were dropping their jaws in amazement.

Django
…. with an Eastern style beginning

Finale - don’t know what the first part was but had the Dazed & Confused ending

Encore

Asking around for you
…. with the keyboards makes it a completely different experience

Don't know what the next one was but it ended with Bogie doing his best Animal impression on the drums, giving it some and more

and then they left the stage leaving us all baying for more ... well more we shall have on Friday.  Enjoy!

Re: Poole - 31 July

Hi LynB, well done I was waiting for a report on last nights gig, I checked first thing this morning when I got to work!!! sounds as if it was good one, I couldnt make last night but im looking forward to friday even more now!! thanks LynB............Kev

Let there be drums......and there was drums

Thanks for the early review. I'm set to go the next Mr Kyps concert on Friday, and also to The Wharf in Tavistock on Thursday - lots of miles to travel but well worth the effort. I kinda have a strong desire to get Joe to sign my guitar (just had to get myself a Gigliotti after seeing and hearing Joe play live in Cardiff last year). Does anyone know if there is a chance of this - does Joe come out front of stage after the gigs still? Joe's following in the UK is really growing strong now - saw him at Sherherds Bush earlier this year. Great concert but you can't beat seeing him up close and personal in these smaller venues.

Hey LynB,
     Thanks so much for the great review!!!!!  I just love picturing it all in my head from your descriptions.  I especially like the visual generated for Walk In My Shadows....Joe marching, the ENTIRE front row marching....that is my kind of crowd!!!!!!!!!  Think I'll put it on right now and march a few steps myself smile smile smile smile smile smile smile    Get myself warmed up for September......
Have a lovely day!         
                                                        pattyluvsjoe wink

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

I am sooooooooooooooooooo jealous. Great review.

Excellent review, I agree wholeheartedly, there is no better way to open his show than with Bridge to Better Days, great lyrics, and Joe just starts ripping immediately.  Definately a little homage to Peter Green.  Can't wait to see him again.

LynB wrote:

That would be ZZ Top's Just Got Paid.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Deezer wrote:
LynB wrote:

That would be ZZ Top's Just Got Paid.

Thanks Deezer - I thought it could be but wasn't sure as it's not a song I know.

Don't forget the 24 or so bars of "Mule" by Gov't Mule that links the ZZ Top to the Led Zep :-)  Would love to see Warren & Joe tearin' it up on stage together....I remember when I first started on the forums Jane was nice enough to share a show with Warren sitting in with Bloodline but it was regrettably such bad audio quality I could barely listen to it....would have been great to see though smile

CarljMD

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues