Re: Blues of Desperation reviews

you can always use the Digital Download from Joe's Store.
I know it doesn't "feel" the same, but you avoid shipping costs, and customs/duties as well.

http://shop.jbonamassa.com/collections/ … eased-2016

matirocker wrote:

Still waiting for the album to be released in my country... emailed the label that releases Joe's albums here... no response...

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

74 (edited by matirocker 2016-04-11 17:55:09)

DougH wrote:

you can always use the Digital Download from Joe's Store.
I know it doesn't "feel" the same, but you avoid shipping costs, and customs/duties as well.

http://shop.jbonamassa.com/collections/ … eased-2016

matirocker wrote:

Still waiting for the album to be released in my country... emailed the label that releases Joe's albums here... no response...

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd never buy digital music. I guess I got stuck in the 90s and like to buy CDs. I buy them for the booklet and art for the most part.

I'm broke, motherf**ker!

75 (edited by RickB 2016-04-12 19:00:53)

Well, it's been just about a month since I received my copy and posted the first listen review.
That cd has not left it's spot in the player and gets rolled multiple times every day without one track skipped yet.
The better half said today that she never gets tired of listening either. Front to back, every single killer track.
I can't think of a single other piece of music I own that will displace it.

Stellar work Joe.
We can hardly wait until we're sitting in the pit at Bakersfield.
Play something for Buck. It's been 10 years and a bit since he passed. You know the locals will love it.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

76 (edited by matirocker 2016-04-12 20:21:51)

Jane H. wrote:

if you don't find a way soon, i wouldn't mind sending you one at my cost. i think i could mark it as a gift but i still am not sure how that would work with customs. anyway if you decide you want to try it please email me and i will get around to it some time or another smile

That's very kind of you. Customs are pretty much fuc&3d up for the moment here, because of our previous goverment, but things are (apparently) going to improve there with our new president (though they haven't so far). If they eventually improve, and there's still no way to get it here (some times I buy CDs from independent sellers who are able to import music somehow) I'll let you know! Thank you smile

I'm broke, motherf**ker!

Yes, yes and yes ! Ditto !

RickB wrote:

Well, it's been just about a month since I received my copy and posted the first listen review.
That cd has not left it's spot in the player and gets rolled multiple times every day without one track skipped yet.
The better half said today that she never gets tired of listening either. Front to back, every single killer track.
I can't think of a single other piece of music I own that will displace it.

Stellar work Joe.
We can hardly wait until we're sitting in the pit at Bakersfield.
Play something for Buck. It's been 10 years and a bit since he passed. You know the locals will love it.
Rick

Murfdog

- nothing that I can add to what has already been said, to is  great piece of Joe’s work. What I can add that I am not sure has been said is that the limited edition version with the bound book is brilliant, - the silver/grey finish on the cover works really well, and the pages on Joe’s vintage guitars make for very interesting reading.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

guess I'm a lone voice, that has to say.. this is a very good work.. I hate to say it.. but is it his best work ever?  I'm not sure.
don't get me wrong , it's very good quality stuff.. I'm just not feeling it like some of you.
Lets see what I say after I see him on May 24th.

---------------

80 (edited by johnreardon 2016-04-13 11:51:35)

DougH wrote:

guess I'm a lone voice, that has to say.. this is a very good work.. I hate to say it.. but is it his best work ever?  I'm not sure.
don't get me wrong , it's very good quality stuff.. I'm just not feeling it like some of you.
Lets see what I say after I see him on May 24th.

I have been waiting for someone else to post this. 

I have nearly all of his work and it's nowhere near his best.  The only standout track, for me, is 'Drive', the most of the rest I would call fillers.

Playing and vocals are superb, but the production seems a bit over processed and not as raw as previous albums. 

The booklet showing guitars is excellent, but not worth the extra £2. 

I have played it quite a few times to see if it would grow on me, but sadly it doesn't.

Still it's better than the stuff we get in our charts

Hey Johnreardon.
It's ok if you are not into it.
I would say you may be reaching on calling all the songs outside of Drive fillers.To me that sounds like they are throw aways.That seems a bit harsh.There are songs by any artist I don't like,but would be remiss to call them fillers unless I thought they were really bad.Usually fillers means substandard.I just have to call that out.Cant agree on that.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

gary wrote:

Hey Johnreardon.
It's ok if you are not into it.
I would say you may be reaching on calling all the songs outside of Drive fillers.To me that sounds like they are throw aways.That seems a bit harsh.There are songs by any artist I don't like,but would be remiss to call them fillers unless I thought they were really bad.Usually fillers means substandard.I just have to call that out.Cant agree on that.

By fillers, I mean the 2-3 songs you normally get on a CD that are OK-ish but nothing remarkable.  This CD, for me, has way too many of them.   

Nothing is really bad, substandard or throw-aways.  Train and Mountain Climbing are good; Drive is superb and the rest are ordinary compared to my other JB albums.

If I had read the reviews here, before buying the album, I would have been truly disappointed.
At least it has Drive, which is well worth it.

Ok thanks for the clarification.
I understand you now.
I do like Drive a lot.Overall I like it a lot start to finish.In my own mind time will tell where it fits in my order of best  JB studio albums.I can't rule it out being my favorite yet or what I might think is his best work.
its a tough call given his back catalogue.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

84 (edited by murfdog 2016-04-14 11:51:15)

Joe has so many great albums, it's hard to say this is definitively the best, but it's definitely one of the best !! Without a doubt my favorite since Dust Bowl...

Murfdog

I look back on DSOB and DTTD and even though both discs had standout tracks on them, as a whole , they are just no where near the quality of this amazing disc. I feel real passion and Blues on this effort, and even though Joe has written many great songs, I just feel like this whole disc is full of "em !

Jane H. wrote:

FWIW, i still really really hope to put some thoughts together in a cohesive clear manner, so i have not elborated much on details
I know though that if i keep not doing it, it might not get done so i will throw things in here and there now and then and i guess if i ever put it together i post it as a whole thing.

It is very hard to say. Some of thoughts tie into a response i will put in another thread i want to reply to but anyway the reason i said i think it is Joe's best did have more than the massive quantities of wine and bonamassatherapy from repeat plays of BOD while depressed the other night behind it.
while it is almost impossible to say really and like i said, i still have others as favorites, i think this one really pulls alot together.

I didn't even care much for it on the first listen. I mean i did but did i think i would call it the best? no.... it was not even clear for me or another great bonabuddy i was discussing it with  - how we would rank it even among the most recent three or so releases (Joe solo studio). you would not have gotten me to say it was even close to best

it has grown on me, i have grown from experiencing it. at first i had thoughts of, well this sounds familiar, that sounds familiar, that sounds almost popish (lyric repeat stuff) but as i spun it more times i had more of a feeling like, yes its familiar in places but that is just the best parts of Joe if that makes sense.
the songs are no where near the same to each other or to previous releases - except the familiar blues stuff - pardon that ridiculous phrase, can't find different words right now - and  i think the lyrics are outstanding in places

i can connect to most all of the songs, not unlike other albums but I also can connect them of my Joe as i have come to know him - this different i am sure than how others have come to know him.

i think all of the songs are great but there are definitely MANY songs on previous albums that are better than some of these.
as an album though i just think it has it all and overall is Joe's best. he may play better / have better solos on some songs from other albums etc. not saying everything in every detail is the best but as an overall thing. some of the solos on this one are there but did not stand out like in the past so i overlooked them at first. thats also the non-musician in me too - i have to intently listen for those things
as a fan i have a come long way to accept that this is where Joe is etc.

i dunno if that makes sense and i will try to say this all in another better way in the near future but i wanted to reply that i was not being lazy or using flattery when i said its Joe's best to date.

i have been known to change my mind though and have not spun his other albums much lately so here is a promise that one of these days i will do so while consciously paying attention to this concept.

it helps this cd has a lot of heavy.
I'd like to take a moment to shout out for How Deep This River Runs - WOW what a song. i think the first few listens i had thoughts in my head of - please don't sing the chorus yet one more time and must have blanked out somewhat on what the song does after that.....then to really dive into those lyrics, it is outstanding. it was far down on the list of potential best songs on this album but the more i listen, i dunno, some factors are pushing that one skyward for me. not the most fun listening/jamming out to or what not but wow what a great song and is Pain and Sorrow like in its solo stuff etc. Thanks to Lizzee for pointing that out. well she had mentioned something after she only partly listebned to the cd one time - hey jane one of them reminded me of P+S. i thought oh goodness she's gone off her rocker - but it was only cause i had not paid enugh attention. i quickly realized this must be the track she referred to. mind you its no Pain and Sorrow but its got better lyrics smile

Murfdog

great post Jane, - thank you for expressing that.

- So I was in the record shop today buying Santana IV, and the young lady behind the counter asked if I had the new Joe Bonamassa album, of course I said yes, and commented that I had seen him live may times, - she had n’t so I encouraged her to do so,  this year. - She said how much she loved the new album, how great it was to just put it on and listen to it as an entire album... so this is a person under the age of 30 talking about listening to an entire album, not a download one track at a time spottily experience!!! There is hope after all!!!!! :-)

ps Santana IV is very good, - the track "Blues Magic" will have a lot of you smiling I think.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

87 (edited by DougH 2016-04-15 10:12:05)

Jane H. wrote:

I'd like to take a moment to shout out for How Deep This River Runs - WOW what a song.

Yes I agree this to me was the "standout" track..  (How Deep This River Runs)
not because its a slow blues but it's a stand out track even more so over Drive.
and Joe does his 'best BB' on the What I've Known for a Very Long Time.

This Train and The Valley Runs Low both have a 'country rock' feel.. I could see Carry Underwood or even Shania singing this.

You Left Me Nothin but the Blues and the Bills has that Funky feel and feels/sounds like "Funkier Than a Mosquits Tweeter" from BJH cd with the chorus has a rock country feel.
(not that the words bother me, but the trailout talking at the end of this track 7 adds nothing to the song.. unlike I've Got Blisters On My Fingers,, which was funny)

One thing I read in the past month though.. there was a study of song title lengths and they found that in the 60's the number 1 songs were several words long

in the 70's song titles dropped shorter.

now the #1 song titles on the charts in 2016 are just 1 lonely word long..

Joe's got some darn toot'n long song titles in his catalog

---------------

So...I'm driving around the other day and realized that I cannot seem to play this record loud enough ! The bass end on this disc is serious, and it's interfering with my ability to turn it up loud enough ! The trio of "You left me nothing but the bills and the blues"," Distant lonesome train" and "How deep this river runs" require headbanging volume !! This album is so (pick your expletive) good !!!!!!

Murfdog

murfdog wrote:

So...I'm driving around the other day and realized that I cannot seem to play this record loud enough ! The bass end on this disc is serious, and it's interfering with my ability to turn it up loud enough ! The trio of "You left me nothing but the bills and the blues"," Distant lonesome train" and "How deep this river runs" require headbanging volume !! This album is so (pick your expletive) good !!!!!!

Sounds to me like you need to go to an auto audio store and get one of those big thumper bass sub systems. big_smile

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

I own a Miata !

RickB wrote:
murfdog wrote:

Sounds to me like you need to go to an auto audio store and get one of those big thumper bass sub systems. big_smile

Murfdog