Topic: Blues of Desperation reviews

It's time to start a thread to let Joe, and all involved, know this CD is a homerun!!! I'm lucky enough to have heard some of these songs during the last tour and at Carneige Hall, but not with the clarity on this CD. ALL songs are originals, so that should quiet those that oppose covers. But they aren't rushed or fillers. And, once again, I am blown away by Joe's vocals. How can he continue to get better? Well done, because I know he's worked to achieve this level of skill. Another thing that smacked me in the face was the different guitar tones. It does give the CD a fuller sound. I got the digipak, so I have the Bona-seum, which is an album of guitar photos and info. Jane will be happy to know it also includes the lyrics. That should save her a few hours. And there are some rockin moments that will make her smile, broadly!! Others are better at song by song recaps, and I'll let them give that kind of review. However, word to the wise, if you listen with children, there's an F-bomb at the very end of "You Left Me Nothin But The Bill And The Blues" which is my current favorite, but others will have their turn. Again, well done and worthy of all the praise it is receiving smile

Re: Blues of Desperation reviews

Yes I already told Joe that I loved it. Old school with punch and variety. His vocals are spot on. Sorry my review is short but on target. Not one for a volume report.
Interests in others thoughts. I liked it and another good one for Joe
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

I only had time to give this a "once through" yesterday, so only have first impressions so far:
There is not a bad song on this album. There is a diversity of sounds and styles, but if you heard any of these songs by themselves you'd recognize Joe in a heartbeat or two. I need to give this a few more spins, but I was truly struck by how strong the back end of this album is.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

All I have to say is... Joe, you continue to impress me with every album. I enjoy every song on this one. I can't put a finger on a favorite tune yet.
....And this is album number 17?

WOW!

5 (edited by nmagcorn 2016-03-26 15:59:21)

Just got mine today and have been cranking it and giving it a couple of listens.  It's interesting to hear the studio versions of so many of them that we already had the wonderful opportunity to hear live with the acoustic tour and the cruise. Would love to hear some others live. That solo that Joe does on the "How Deep This River Runs", holy sh!t that's a killer solo! Would really love to see him wail on that at a show. I like "Distant Lonesome Train" too. The beat of the drums on that are really cool. I really need to give it a number of listens so that it all really sinks in and I can get the whole meaning with the lyrics and everything. So glad Joe included them.

Such exciting times, love the new CD! Have purposely not looked or listened to any videos so could hear first from CD cool  Really love #17 Joe Bonamassa! You've done it again wink 
The repeated guitar riff in "Mountain Climbing" has hooked me, love it!!!!  Title track "Blues of Desperation" also on replay many times! And Joe's vocals & vocal quality on Track 11 "What I've Known For A Very Long Time"  sound very much like early Joe days, that strong Joe that sounds like no other!
And an added bonus is that when listening I can see in my mind's eye exactly how Joe would be standing, playing, head tilted slightly, etc...
I am so proud to have a friend so full of musical genius and so down to earth...misty eyed from reading Joe's "You are the best fans in the world, bar none...That is a fact. Thank you for coming on this journey for so many years." 
Well Joe, cool Thank You for having a journey we could join!  I've gotten to do many things in life that simply would not have happened if not for knowing you!
HUGE CONGRATULATIONS ON #17 BLUES OF DESPERATION cool

Lots of love & hugs always,
smile pattyluvsjoe cool

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Just got my copy in the mail this morning and listened on my way to work and again on the way home.
This album is EPIC !!! Wow!
As others have mentioned, there is not a bad song on this album. It is incredible in it's variety and depth from start to finish. The sound production quality is superb. Joe's vocals and playing are spot on. Best album in a long time for sure.
These are the kind of songs that just get better and better ... and really stick with you.
Joe always impresses me but this is just incredible stuff. Thank you Joe.

1998 Ovation CS247 Celebrity Deluxe
2010 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
2015 Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Standard with Bigsby (Signed)

Not so much a review, but to echo the sentiments of others, this album has to be some of Joe's best work. So much energy and variation in approach and intensity. My first listen went by in a heartbeat, the whole thing is very easy to listen to.

The guitar work is exquisite as ever, but I like the contrast with his previous works, no doubt influenced by Joe's amp choices of late.

If this is any measure of how much I like the album, I tend to get an overspill of emotion/energy if some music touches me. During 'how deep this river runs' I was overcome by the urge to get to my own guitar and make the horrible noise only I can make; I jumped up from my stool, whacked my kneecap on the counter, fell sideways, bumped my head on the door and spilled a very large lasagne all over the floor in the process. I reek of tomato, cheese and finely ground beef and have a golf ball growing from my head. But man am I happy with this music!

Congratulations Joe, here's hoping you injure many more people through the pleasure of your music!

I absolutely LOVE this new music!
I agree, too, that Joe's voice just gets better every year! His music gets better every year! He gets better every year, some how!
Thank you Joe for keeping us excited!
See you in May! And July! And December!
Joe, You are the absolute best there is!

Another great Cd......can't wait to hear these songs live....:)

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

A long time since i wrote here and this is a true confession.

Been a Joe fan from the early beginning but under way sadly lost a little interest after "John Henry".  Think "Driving towards...." where really good but then again "Different Shades of Blue" got little interest from me.

Have seen Joe a couple of times and always been impressed.

That brings us forward to today.

Got "Blues of Desperation" in mail today, been in the cd all day long and dare i say, this is top notch and by my point of view,
Joe's best album!!!

The drums, the drums....what a sound! Joe is singing like a GOD and i can hear i bite i haven't heard for some time now!

A lot of interesting and different guitars sounds and the songwriting/production is excellent!

Looking forward to spend a lot of time with this in my ears.

Favorite just now: How Deep This River Runs.

Nice reviews....I will go by my fav little music store down the street and pick it up

Why I didn't pre order this I don't know...Well, it comes out tomorrow and I'm heading up to Portland to see Y&T, so my 1st stop will be at Music Millenium to get this...These reviews sound grrrreat

Murfdog

I like that the album is less focussed on shreddy guitar playing, and "typical" blues and has a more riff-based approach.

My favourite songs of Joe's, with very few exceptions, are his own songs. The ones with really good riffs. Songs like The Ballad of John Henry, Bridge to Better Days, Heartache Follows Wherever I Go, Love Ain't a Love Song, etc.

So I'm really loving songs like This Train, Mountain Climbing etc.

Overall, a very satisfying album to listen to - start to finish. Definitely his strongest, overall album, in a very long time.

Downloaded my pre-order as soon as I got the email. All is can do is sit and listen and go WOW!WOW!WOW! Joe you have taken it to a new level.

Been so busy I'd forgotten the exact release date, but I just checked and ... woo-hooooo!!!!!

At this advanced age I rarely feel childlike, but this is one of those times.

Anyone else catch the punchline at the end of Track 7?  Made me chuckle out out loud, but I was glad my kids weren't in the car with me.

"You can't put a price on cool."

My copy arrived yesterday - thankfully quicker than I had been promised by Amazon UK.
I have now had a chance to listen through three times, and as I drove around today with the car cd cranked up, it occurred to me that this is the first album for years (maybe since the sixth form!) where I have been desperate to hear it !!!
I would wholeheartedly agree with the other reviews in terms of the listenability of the complete album, and quality of all the tracks.
Special mention must also go to Kevin Shirley for the fabulous production - all the instruments are clearly separated, the vocals clear, and the drum sound absolutely sensational!
I'm sure there are several future live favourites here, and I can't wait to see Joe show them off in the UK....
Joe continues to go from strength to strength, and deserves all his success - if this isn't the best new album I hear this year, I'll be very surprised.