Re: Blues of Desperation reviews

Best work to date, hands down.

just 'cus half my friends are imaginary doesn't mean I'm less popular

I have probably listened to this album 10-12 times now.

I am very cautious to call any of Joe's album's my favorite, because i like them all so much....but I am very close to saying.....that this may very well be my favorite, and definitely top 3.

Joe, you just keep getting things refined more and more and this album just ticks all of the boxes for me smile

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

bradscrib wrote:

Best work to date, hands down.

I agree.  Truly original and masterful in all respects.  Backing vocals are great addition.  Mountain Climbing, No Good Place for the Lonely, Blues of Desperation, Distant Lonesome Train, This Train, The Valley Runs Low, etc.  Really great and super high quality.  Kudos to all involved.

I bought the Silver Deluxe Edition CD - I'm not disappointed ! And a great little booklet !

Love the whole album - After around 10 plays so far... - current fave tracks thou are #3, #11

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

59 (edited by ZeyerGTR 2016-04-04 11:25:31)

Blues Rock Review gives it a 9.5/10.  I can't disagree!

http://bluesrockreview.com/2016/03/joe- … eview.html

I love Joe's music a lot, but I can't say that every album is "his best ever."  He has ups and downs like all artists, and some albums I like a whole lot more than others.  After a couple weeks of listening, though, Blues of Desperation is right near the top.  No filler material, great production, great passion in the playing and the writing and lyrics are continuing the "step up" shown on DSoB.  I love the variety on the album - from Mountain Climbing through The Valley Runs Low to Livin' Easy.

60 (edited by gary 2016-04-04 20:33:15)

I always have thought that the latest release is the best ever.
I think that is partially because of the excitement of new recordings,and let's face it,they are always very good.
But as usual time evens things out and you start to get a idea on where everything sits on your own list.
So I had to check myself when BOD came out.Its still new,but I have a feeling this,like a lot of fans and reviewers have stated that this may be his best.
I was hoping for some heavier sounding guitar and its delivered here.The second go around with outside writers is a success as well.
Then you throw in some killer stretched out soloing jams and that puts the top on the cake so to speak.
My takes on the tracks
1) This Train.Okay everybody get on the train Joes taking is for a ride.
This train is rolling down the tracks and it's a fun ride with guitar,piano,and the driving beat.
2)Mountain  Climbing
My kind of track.Early favorite.
Channeling some BCC guitar here
sime Firey soloing and the double drums kickin it big time.
3)Drive.The advanced release song.
Something entirely new for Joe and some great song writing and the vibe of the song that is so cool.
Really like this one.
4)No Good Place For The Lonely
Excellent bluesy song.Goes along real nice and then WHAM you get overwhelmed with that guitar solo.
I'm melting I'm melting! Someone scrape off the floor with a shovel.
Talk about face melting!
5)Blues Of Desperation.Title track.
One my favorites too.Big heavy guitar and driving drums another killer track with great guitar solo and the Theremin sounding like some possessed ghost of rock gods past.Love that riff and effects to start the song as well
6)The Valley Runs Low.
A bit divergent for Joe on this one too.Kind of a pop song feel to it.Easy breezy sipping cold lemonade on a hot summer day
You really get to appreciate Joes vocals on this one.Man he never sounded so good.Catchy tune.
7)You left me nothin...
Get off your duff put on your boogie shoes and shake that money maker.This one will give you a workout.Fun Saturday night song for sure.
8)Distant Lonsome Train.
Did we ever get off the train?No we are still being taken for the ride.
The trains picking up steam with the drumming letting you know this songs not going to stop till it takes you around some bends.
Another killer track.
9)How Deep This  River Runs.
A very Epic track with Joes guitar playing and the backing vocals really filling in spaces very nice.
Of course a killer solo in this one too.
10) Livin Easy
Frolicking piano and screeching horn.Love this one too.Different from the rest of the album,but fits in too.
11)What I have know for...
Time to get off the train so let's slow it down with a blues one.
Joes vocals sound great here too.
Very nice blues song
Well the ride is over for now.
Maybe get back on for the return trip!!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Nice long review Gary. We see it the same.
Spin it again Sam!
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

A Killer ride I would take again and again !

gary wrote:

I always have thought that the latest release is the best ever.
I think that is partially because of the excitement of new recordings,and let's face it,they are always very good.
But as usual time evens things out and you start to get a idea on where everything sits on your own list.
So I had to check myself when BOD came out.Its still new,but I have a feeling this,like a lot of fans and reviewers have stated that this may be his best.
I was hoping for some heavier sounding guitar and its delivered here.The second go around with outside writers is a success as well.
Then you throw in some killer stretched out soloing jams and that puts the top on the cake so to speak.
My takes on the tracks
1) This Train.Okay everybody get on the train Joes taking is for a ride.
This train is rolling down the tracks and it's a fun ride with guitar,piano,and the driving beat.
2)Mountain  Climbing
My kind of track.Early favorite.
Channeling some BCC guitar here
sime Firey soloing and the double drums kickin it big time.
3)Drive.The advanced release song.
Something entirely new for Joe and some great song writing and the vibe of the song that is so cool.
Really like this one.
4)No Good Place For The Lonely
Excellent bluesy song.Goes along real nice and then WHAM you get overwhelmed with that guitar solo.
I'm melting I'm melting! Someone scrape off the floor with a shovel.
Talk about face melting!
5)Blues Of Desperation.Title track.
One my favorites too.Big heavy guitar and driving drums another killer track with great guitar solo and the Theremin sounding like some possessed ghost of rock gods past.Love that riff and effects to start the song as well
6)The Valley Runs Low.
A bit divergent for Joe on this one too.Kind of a pop song feel to it.Easy breezy sipping cold lemonade on a hot summer day
You really get to appreciate Joes vocals on this one.Man he never sounded so good.Catchy tune.
7)You left me nothin...
Get off your duff put on your boogie shoes and shake that money maker.This one will give you a workout.Fun Saturday night song for sure.
8)Distant Lonsome Train.
Did we ever get off the train?No we are still being taken for the ride.
The trains picking up steam with the drumming letting you know this songs not going to stop till it takes you around some bends.
Another killer track.
9)How Deep This  River Runs.
A very Epic track with Joes guitar playing and the backing vocals really filling in spaces very nice.
Of course a killer solo in this one too.
10) Livin Easy
Frolicking piano and screeching horn.Love this one too.Different from the rest of the album,but fits in too.
11)What I have know for...
Time to get off the train so let's slow it down with a blues one.
Joes vocals sound great here too.
Very nice blues song
Well the ride is over for now.
Maybe get back on for the return trip!!

Murfdog

Hello everybody! Finally received my album today after I need to pay some more taxes... What an assholes. Never mind. The album is fantastic. I like it very much because it is very compact, one piece in whole. The best songs on album are "Mountain climbing", "No good place for the lonely" and "How deep this river runs". Albums starts pretty rough, and finishing in a slowly mood. It is good that way. My only not critic but observation is that the middle part of album is the weakest. Songs "The valley runs low" and "You left me nothing but the bill and the blues are 2 songs not so great as others...

What stands out the most for me on this album are the guitar solos. They are more focused on melody and note choice, and less on shred. I like the guitar playing on this album more than any album since John Henry. The songwriting is excellent as well. The drums and bass are huge. And the backing vocals are a welcome, dynamic addition. It's been in the cd player since I got it. Well done.

Guitars: 1974 LP Custom, 2013 R8
Amps: '88 JCM 800 w/ TV cab, Tone King Falcon
Effects: Fulltone Clyde, Monsterpiece Stud, EP Booster, Strymon El Capistan

'The valley runs low' has turned out to be my favorite song on this album. It's maybe a little differant than what you expect from Joe. But it's great.

Like most of you, this album has been on very high rotation the last week and half. 

Although I have ordered the silver edition, it still has not arrived yet.  Last Sunday week I drove 120kms to get a copy. Sure I was in that town for another reason, but I thought I would kill two birds with one stone. 

The more I play it, the more I like it.  I agree on the production of this album - Kevin has done a superb job with the amazing talent he had to play with.  I like the whole sound of the album from start to finish.

Loving it,more later...:}

Come on you Blades!

I've listened to this in the car over and over the past couple weeks and I still hear new stuff each time!
Digging this album tons, can't wait to hear some of it live!

Still waiting for the album to be released in my country... emailed the label that releases Joe's albums here... no response...

I'm broke, motherf**ker!

matirocker wrote:

Still waiting for the album to be released in my country... emailed the label that releases Joe's albums here... no response...

Seems weird.Has that ever been the case with Joes or anyone's music before?
Can you order it online from out of your country?

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

gary wrote:
matirocker wrote:

Seems weird.Has that ever been the case with Joes or anyone's music before?
Can you order it online from out of your country?

Joe's albums have usually been released around the same date as the US release date. But, it seemed weird to me that Radio City was not released here. And still no Blues of Desperation, sadly.

It usually happens with other artist's music too, I guess. Those that are independent like Joe or not to big labels. Artists that are with Sony, Columbia, etc (big labels) usually get their music released at the same time as in the US.

I could order it from Amazon or whatever but since a few years back, the customs here got strict and I have to do tons of paper work and stupid things to get something through, I lost a lot of money last time when I ordered some DVDs and I couldn't get them out of customs. Sucks.

I'm broke, motherf**ker!

I'm more of a rock it loud kind of guy so I really enjoyed the heavy guitars on this release!! Not too much to add I think everyone covered things pretty well. Mountain Climbing and BOD two of my favorites.

Dont need a helmet to get me through life-walk across the water blame it on foolish pride.

PORTLAND2012/SPRINGFIELD2012/BOSTON2013/HAMPTON BEACH2014/BANGOR2015/PORTLAND2016/PORTLAND2017