37 (edited by murfdog 2016-03-26 22:44:21)

Re: Blues of Desperation reviews

First off, I would like to send Joe a personal Thank You for this incredible new piece of music. Thanks, Joe, for again, adding an amazing addition to the "soundtrack of my life" I'm almost beyond words.....no, I'm not..

I'd like to start by saying that, even though I enjoyed the last 2 Joe discs, I thought they were just a tad middle of the road, and not as dynamic as past efforts. Having said that, they were still far better than most of everyone else's work out there, but compared to his own past efforts, I thought they lacked slightly. Having said that, I guess I just need to vent a little here.
     This disc is incredible, back to the 6 and 7 and 8 minute songs with solos so long and out there that you often forget what song you are listening to...A Joe trademark.!
     This Train, the opening track is incredible, maybe the best opening tune on any album ever. Do a since a slightly harder edge is back ? Yes ! Joe's voice sounds great!
      Song number two makes me realize that this disc definitely sounds on the "Rock" side of the Blues. Drive is a great slow burn tune and ..by the way..great female backups on the whole disc. So next I realize as I listen to track 4 that it's over 8 minutes long...Yeah, no 8 minute tunes on the last few discs..more 8 minute tracks please!! Followed by the cool as Dust bowl title track..by the way..what is that waa waa sound...a guitar or keyboard ? I don't care..It's cool as can be. Track 6 reminds me of some stuff from "Sloe Gin" like "Richmond".. A little softer than the rest of the disc, not my favorite type of Joe tune, but actually really well written, and I like it more than most tunes he writes of this nature.
     Then Joe channels his best Chuck Berry into the most most fun Joe's had in a while on "You Left Me Nothing But the Bills and the Blues" This one had me dancing around my living room like an idiot...awesome!
     At track 8 I realize, again, that many of these tunes are 6 minutes long...that's a good thing! Hmmmm.yes, this could be Joe's best album ! Definitely the best one he's written exclusively !! The left/right channel panning that they did on this song is another stroke of genius by Kevin or Joe. I listen to track 9 and realize that Joe has created a very dark hard edged disc, for the most part, and it's brilliant.
     Then there's "Livin' Easy" with Joe and a completely out of the box retro tune with great lyrics and a trumpet with that thingy in it ? Again, Joe this is great stuff!!
     The album ends with my favorite Joe blues ballad since "Asking Around for You" and completes what I would like to refer to as Joe's return to what he does best...Give us Blues that Rocks....or Rock with a huge Blues twist..you decide...I'll listen !! This is a 5 on a 5 scale or a 9 on a 10 scale imho...buy immediately...every day you don't have this disc is another day that could have been better !!

Murfdog

I think Joe just made his "Slowhand" !  Different style and sound with every song.

I've been a fan since '08, when a friend introduced me to "Live from nowhere...".  Since then I've ban an avid listener, have all of Joe's albums and attended 3 shows (wish it were more).

To my ears, this latest effort is his best to date.  Given his catalog, that's saying something.  As evidence, I offer the following:

1.  Great songs in a variety of styles.  Every song is a winner:  Check

2.  Very high "Crank Factor":  Check

3.  Driving Rhythm guitar that keeps me interested with nuance and surprise: Check

4.  Blistering solos that leave in me Awe, but that are also grounded in melody that evokes an emotional response: Check

5.  The best vocal performance of Joe's career, now worthy of his guitar: Check

6.  Incredible band and arrangement:  Check

7.  Backing vocals to add interest and a human connection: Check

8.  Judicious use of effects to add interest, but not over done (Wah, delay etc):  Check

9.  Excellent production, Kevin did an amazing job:  Check.

10.  Channeling Paul Kossoff: Check

Just one more thing:  I can't count the number of times that I've anticipated an album from some band, only to find that it sounded like crap because it was poorly produced with too high a volume, losing clarity and definition in the process.  THIS album is just the opposite, extremely well produced, very clear and articulate while delivering on the Jam Factor. 

Well done, Joe, Kevin and Band.  Thank You!

Now I'm going back to my headphones and losing myself for while...

Brent

houtexcc wrote:

Just one more thing:  I can't count the number of times that I've anticipated an album from some band, only to find that it sounded like crap because it was poorly produced with too high a volume, losing clarity and definition in the process.  THIS album is just the opposite, extremely well produced, very clear and articulate while delivering on the Jam Factor. 

Brent

I can't like this section enough. I can stand when they brick wall an album and all you hear is artificial distortion. Ruins an album quickly. Shirley and Co. do a great job on the production.

Guitars: Gibson 2015 LP Traditional in Honeyburst, Gibson LP Studio Deluxe, Fender American Deluxe Telecaster, MIM Fender Strat with Dimarzio Areas, MIM Fender Hss Strat,  Epiphone Sheraton II, Breedlove Acoustic
Amplitube 4 with Scarlett 6i6 and 2i4 interfaces through studio monitors.

Great songs, great production, and great musicianship, and it ROCKS!... what more could we ask for ?

Murfdog

42 (edited by Rocket 2016-03-27 23:52:59)

murfdog wrote:

Great songs, great production, and great musicianship, and it ROCKS!... what more could we ask for ?

A song or two more?  big_smile

Seems over too quickly. Not in a bad way though.  It seems to invite an immediate relisten to something...anything.......everything!!!

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

The more I listen the more I love the background vocals by Mahalia Barnes & Co.  They add a lot.

Great album that gets better with each spin.

Whoa, BoD is now listed as the #3 CD in the entire all-genre Music category on Amazon right now, right behind Adele & some Broadway musical recording.   Keeps going up.   Last time I looked it was #7, and #9 before that.

Spoken like a true Joe junkie...This album clocks in at around 60 minutes, which is actually very long...One of his longest....but I understand where you're coming from. Something this good...you just want more....At this quality...I could have a double album, and might want more !!!

Rocket wrote:
murfdog wrote:

Seems over too quickly. Not in a bad way though.  It seems to invite an immediate relisten to something...anything.......everything!!!

Rocket

Murfdog

After a first listen last night, I enjoyed it. Mountain Climbing was the obvious stand out and best track of the album for me. Even though I'm a more rock oriented kinda guy, I found myself enjoying the most the less rocker tracks, like The Valley Runs Low, Livin Easy and What I've Known...

For a first listen, I think I liked DSOB better, but I'll have to give it a few more listens.

I repeat though, Mountain Climbing is worth the album by itself!

I'm broke, motherf**ker!

Champster wrote:

Whoa, BoD is now listed as the #3 CD in the entire all-genre Music category on Amazon right now, right behind Adele & some Broadway musical recording.   Keeps going up.   Last time I looked it was #7, and #9 before that.

Amazon UK currently has Joe #1 in the Rock sales but only #7 in Blues rock.
Apparently these "charts" are updated hourly so it's only a snapshot of a moment in time.

Lester..

Not much to add to what everyone else has already said.  I will just say I am loving the album.  It sounds very fresh.  nice variety.  A great addition to an already stunning catalog and career.  Love seeing Joe continue to stretch himself.

The more you listen to this disc, the more you hear. Great layering and fills throughout this recording. That, in combination with the backup vocals makes this a special piece of work delivered to us from the master ! I love this disc. I have a feeling I'll be posting to this thread a lot.

Murfdog

I love the background vocals too, especially on The Valley Runs Low, stunning!

I really think Kevin Shirley deserves major props on the layering and quality of sound on this disc.

Btw, it's currently #1 overall on Amazon Canada :-)

1998 Ovation CS247 Celebrity Deluxe
2010 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
2015 Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Standard with Bigsby (Signed)

murfdog wrote:

Spoken like a true Joe junkie...This album clocks in at around 60 minutes, which is actually very long...One of his longest....but I understand where you're coming from. Something this good...you just want more....At this quality...I could have a double album, and might want more !!!

Rocket wrote:
murfdog wrote:

Rocket

I felt that after listening a couple times I wanted more too.Funny how I was thinking I hope Joe keeps to this style on the next one.What I mean is the heavier guitar playing and extended solos,backing vocals.
This one hits on all cylinders!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

I can only agree that this is some of Joe's best work.
The pounding twin drums and bass really work.
Hopefully we will hear more of these songs done live in future concerts.
Spending more time on the studio work has certainly paid off.

Lester...

53 (edited by murfdog 2016-03-30 21:17:45)

Okay, I've decided the best song on this disc is the opening track. "This Train" moves at a giddy pace and is a chirpy ebullient awesome opening track, definitely the best....unless it's "Mountain Climbing" because it Rocks so hard and is pure Joe...on second thought, this is the best track. But then there's those 4 long burning blues tunes with solos to match in "Distant Lonesome Train", the title track, "How deep this River Runs" and the 8 and a half minute epic "No Good Place for the Lonely"...Honestly, those have got to be the best tunes on this disc. ..Wait a minute...I forgot my absolute favorite tune..."You Left me with Nothing but the Bills and the Blues"...This song is so good, it had me dancing uncontrollably. "Drive" is so cool though, it's like "Dust Bowl" cool...maybe it's the best tune...So, in summation, I would just like to say that the best tune on this record is pretty much all of them. Did I mention how "Livin' Easy" is maybe actually the best ?

Murfdog

murfdog wrote:

Okay, I've decided the best song on this disc is the opening track. "This Train" moves at a giddy pace and is a chirpy ebulliant awesome opening track, definitely the best....unless it's "Mountain Climbing" because it Rocks so hard and is pure Joe...on second thought, this is the best track. But then there's those 4 long burning blues tunes with solos to match in "Distant Lonesome Train", the title track, "How deep this River Runs" and the 8 and a half minute epic "No Good Place for the Lonely"...Honestly, those have got to be the best tunes on this disc. ..Wait a minute...I forgot my absolute favorite tune..."You Left me with Nothing but the Bills and the Blues"...This song is so good, it had me dancing uncontrollably. "Drive" is so cool though, it's like "Dust Bowl" cool...maybe it's the best tune...So, in summation, I would just like to say that the best tune on this record is pretty much all of them. Did I mention how "Livin' Easy" is maybe actually the best ?

Spoken like a true Bonahaulic!!!
I havnt picked a favorite track yet either.Mountain Climbing and No Good Place for the Lonley and the title track are running neck to neck.
But that could change tomorrow!!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky