Re: Blues of Desperation reviews

Just got the album about an hour ago, on the last song on the first play through. I think it's good, definitly prefer it over the last album.

It seems like this album has a drier, rawer, less cluttered sound to it, I like it.

Wow!

No Good place For The Lonely......just WOW!

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

Did not get my copy yet but Amazon Prime helped me out today.

I like the production this time.
It is not sounding so clean as the last JB albums.
It is indeed sounding more raw, fresh and live played.

The Sound of the Drums is mind blowing and also the Bass sounds fantastic.
Joe was right. You must play it loud, then BOD kills you.

Faves so far:

Mountain climbing with cool riffs. Background vocals fit very good
Like Drive also. Mellow groovin'
The solo of No Good Place For The Lonely is really cool. We already got it live and I was electrified. Totally blown away.
Blues of Desperation has also a Killer Riff and cool Drums
And I really love Distant Lonesome Train & How Deep This River Runs.
Especially the Jam Parts with Guitar,Bass and Drums. All sounding spectacular.
I would have set Livin' Easy (Least Favourite track) between those songs.
What I've known for is a nice closing blues.

Very good Job Joe, Kevin and the outstanding Band around Joe.
Anton,Michael,Reese

I love this Album. A lot more than Shades of Blue
Cannot wait to have the Original. Hopefully tomorrow...

22 (edited by Rusty 2016-03-25 16:26:16)

Well, I've had the CD for a few days now and played it all the way through a bunch of times, and I have to say, I'm really liking this one. No Good place For The Lonely, How Deep This River Runs, Drive, Livin Easy, its hard to pick favorites, this is a great album all the way through

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

Loving the backings on this album!

Only just getting into listening to it but...

The valley runs low is an instant classic for me! Loving the real open production, rootsy and fire-place vibe it has. Vocals/melodies arrangement all are great. Love that viby rhodes in the background, that sound is just so smooth. The chorus with the backings... it's really amazing. Okay I gotta quit now and listen to the rest... had this tune on repeat for a while now big_smile

2 listens in, thanks to Spotify.......AWESOME.

CD on the way

Love this album! Great songs. No song sounds like the other. Great singing & playing!! Joe never disappoints!!

Played No Good Place for the Lonely for my kid today. He is not usually impressed by my music but the solo on this track got to him.

Every time I listen to it, all I can do is hold my breath while Joe demonstrates what it means to be a guitar virtuoso and then go WOW! when it ends.

The more I spin this disc, the higher it climbs my list of favorite LP's.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Bill S wrote:

Same here, Bill.

This is just pure epic!!!!

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

This Album is Fantastic! I like how he has the backing vocals worked into the mix on this one! Every song on this Album is killer!

Joe, you never cease to amaze me! Awesome, simply Awesome!

Chuck Fleming
Bloomington, Indiana

Guitars: Gibson Custom Shop Joe Bonamassa Es-335, Gibson JBLP Studio Gold Top, Epiphone JBLP Gold Top, Gibson Les Paul "Standard" Gold Top, 2 Gibson ES 339's,Carvin (Self Built), Gibson SG Standard, Fender Strat, Fender Tele, Ibanez (Something or other), Yamaha Acoustic.

Love this album, saw JB in Plymouth, and what an amazing experience. The whole musicians were fab, and loved all the guitar changes. JB rocks

Mine didn't arrive so what with the bank holiday that means Tuesday at the earliest. Serves me right for using the pre sale for the Hoghton tickets to order the cd as well. Grrrrr sad

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

So mine arrived this afternoon. I'm on nights but was woken by the postman - I don't mind though!!

Only had a quick listen through so far, but love it. Different tone from the guitars thanks to the change to the Tweed backline and more use if Fenders (to my ears anyway). But what struck me most was the power behind Joe's vocals!!

Favourite song after first listen? Actually it's The Valley Runs Low

Can't wait for my drive to work with this playing!!

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

After hearing the first few minutes of "This Train" I wanted to jump on the forum and say "Love it!"  But I forced myself to listen to the whole album first.
Just.  Blown.  Away!
Thanks Joe and all you wonderful musicians!

Just listening to this and i have to say i am very impressed-it really rocks and the guitar solos are outstanding-i think this is the best stuff hes done in a while- some of the recent stuff has been a bit so so but this just soars ahead like a mighty eagle

35 (edited by ZeyerGTR 2016-03-26 20:05:19)

Really digging it.  It has the sophistication and improved songwriting and lyrics of DSOB, but there are a few heavier blues/rock tunes (This Train, Mountain Climbing) and killer straight blues (What I've Known..., You Left Me With Nothing...) that give the album a bit more range (for the record I love DSoB, it's a top 5 JB album imho).   I love that BoD a stylistically diverse album, and there's not a bad track on it.  No filler.  Mountain Climbing and No Good Place For The Lonely are the standouts for me.  Drive is probably my least favorite, I think the lyrics could be better, which is maybe why I wasn't getting my hopes up too high with this record.  That said, it's still a cool tune and would be a highlight on lesser albums.  The production is top notch, as is the musicianship throughout.  I really love the background vocals - they add a lot.  As has been stated, Joe's voice just gets better and better with each year and he really shows it on DoB.  He sounds fantastic.

I can't really rank it with the rest of his albums quite yet, but it's really, really good.

Solid A

whirlwind wrote:
Bill S wrote:

Same here, Bill.

This is just pure epic!!!!

+2