1 (edited by nmagcorn 2016-02-23 11:20:08)

Topic: Carnegie Hall Acoustic shows 1/21 & 1/22 2016

Great time seeing Joe at Carnegie Hall. He and the whole band did a fantastic job.

Re: Carnegie Hall Acoustic shows 1/21 & 1/22 2016

Thanks as always for the videos!  There are some primo seats opening up for tonight, by the way, if anyone is still thinking of going but doesn't have tickets.

keifer24 wrote:

Thanks as always for the videos!  There are some primo seats opening up for tonight, by the way, if anyone is still thinking of going but doesn't have tickets.

My seat won't be opening up. I'm driving there right now.

So Natasha, should I not bother trying to bring in my camera?

almico wrote:
keifer24 wrote:

My seat won't be opening up. I'm driving there right now.

So Natasha, should I not bother trying to bring in my camera?

almico, I was just informing anyone who might have been shut out that Carnegie Hall released some great seats this afternoon.  Have a great night!

Could not resist I see. Hey we all have our passions lucky for us yours is your vids
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

6 (edited by Rocket 2016-01-27 01:19:54)

Well..........I'm waiting.........

Someone answer a basic "So, how was it"?!  Open your yappers.  Process mind interpretations as you type...it's not that hard!  big_smile

...Awaiting verbal confirmation of live persons attending a live performance as Joe Bonamassa took stage (again) at Carnegie.......

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

7 (edited by almico 2016-01-23 09:06:49)

Rocket wrote:

Well..........I'm waiting.........

Someone answer a basic "So, how was it"?!  Open your yappers. 

Awaiting verbal confirmation of live persons attending a live performance as Joe Bonamassa took stage (again) at Carnegie......

The music and performance was amazing. Unfortunately the sound was awful so it could not really be appreciated for what it was.

I sat front row center of the balcony and found it very difficult to distinguish one instrument from another and could barely understand one word that was sung. To much reverb? If I didn't know the songs, I wouldn't have a clue what I was listening to. For instance at PNC last summer, Mahalia's voice absolutely curled my toes during the ending of Hummingbird. Last night I was left  disappointed.

I guess it's really an acoustic venue and the walls and ceiling are designed to reflect and focus sound coming from the stage, not line arrays from ceiling height. It was my first time at CH so I have nothing to compare, but I feel like I have to go back to really hear what the room can do. I'd love to hear Joe there, playing his gold top though a little fender tweed Deluxe all by himself from the center of that stage. I could listen to that for hours!

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad31 … i4godq.jpg

8 (edited by nmagcorn 2016-01-23 11:15:24)

Excellent show last night at Carnegie Hall. So proud of Joe. What a wonderful end to a fantastic run of shows. Sound seemed much improved over the first night, and possibly our seats on the floor were in a better spot for the sound as well. Band had a lot of energy tonight. Crowd was the most rowdy we have seen yet. Only filmed one song last night, but took a number of photos. Have to admit I was kind of sad when it was coming to an end because I have really enjoyed these shows and this band, especially Tina, and the singers. Really hope we see more of them in the future with Joe. I think this DVD will be something Joe is very proud of. It was quite the monumental task given they had never played before and hadn't even known any of the music prior to the rehearsals in Maryland. But given the level of artistry, they were able to come together and beautifully perform an incredible collection of songs. Bravo Joe and bravo to your incredibly talented acoustic band.

Here are photos from the shows https://www.flickr.com/photos/anitrasda … 3687121142

wow, Eric looking right at you.

10 (edited by lucklesspedestrian 2016-01-23 16:24:27)

I have to largely agree with Almico. I was very worried during the opening song (This Train), since essentially all I could make out clearly was Anton. Thankfully the sound improved dramatically as the show went on. The show itself was great (these guys don't do anything poorly). Some songs worked better than others: Drive, Black Lung Heartache, Woke Up Dreaming (of course), Song of Yesterday (a little surprisingly), and Mountain Time I thought worked particularly well. The Rose struck me as a bit strange - not sure why not try an acoustic arrangement of So What Would I Do? to close the show instead. But overall it was great, and the entire band was phenomenal.

It was also a little strange that the house lights were on during the show - something to help with the video recording I suppose.

I was at last night's show - 1/22

PS. I just looked at Natasha's pictures. They're great. Thanks Natasha.

11 (edited by nmagcorn 2016-01-23 18:16:22)

Only risked filming one song from the second night's show. The ushers were out of control, patrolling the aisles making everyone put the phones and cameras away. Had to film in super stealth mode. Figured "Woke Up Dreaming" was worth the risk wink What a performance!

https://youtu.be/KCr7P0QfJK0

12 (edited by samjp4 2016-01-24 10:58:43)

You know, Rocket, some people were traveling, some forgot their phones, and some, like me, are great at procrastinating.

I only went on Thursday night (which turns out to be a good thing because from the looks of it even the trains are having a hard time getting out of the city today).  Years ago when the first RAH show happened I said when Joe played Carnegie Hall I would be there - and I was.  It is a lovely place, but as others have said the sound was good for one song and not so good for others (I was in the seventh row on the floor).  The new songs sound lovely, but I look forward to hearing them played with a bit of electricity and clearer sound.

The band was amazing.  Tina Guo is to cellists what Joe is to guitarists.  First Joe show I have ever been to where I spent more time watching one of the other musicians.  Sorry, Joe, but when you see the videos you will understand.  Did you know cellists make faces just like guitar players?  I would love to see her in a regular show - I am sure she could more than hold her own.  Eric was great - man of many instruments, and I enjoyed the percussionist - very subtle, but always audible in a good way.  Reese was Reese, Anton kept the beat, and the singers added their own special touches.

If you watch no other videos check out Woke Up Dreaming.  It was one for posterity.  I had two Bonavirgins sitting next to me (both seemed like what us Boston folk think of as typical NYC folk-nothing gets them excited except the Yankees or Jets beating a Boston team) but they both had to pick their jaws up off the floor after that song.  They were also very impressed with Song of Yesterday.  I told them to be sure to go see Joe doing a regular show sometime, and they said they were looking forward to it.

Random thoughts:  Joe was actually late getting on stage - probably due to the fact that no one was allowed in the hall until 7:30 and people were still streaming in at 8:00.  I can only imagine the pacing going on backstage.  Roy was sitting across the aisle in my row and it was interesting to occasionally glance over and see his reaction to the show.  T-shirts were a bargain-end of the tour sale.  Tina almost stole the show-she is that good.  The stage set-up was lovely-great job getting the lighting to look like a living room, but it was obviously quite a bit brighter than it looked.  The lady next to me from NYC thought the lampshades with the pom-poms on the end were a bit much.  Someone made comments about the house lights being turned up a bit - if I recall Joe mentioned years ago that at the first RAH show he asked them to be turned up a bit so he could see the venue as he was playing it, as well as the audience.  It was a cool idea and I think he may have thought this for this show as well.

The other great part of the show?  Getting together with all my good friends.  Cathy, Michael, Bill T, Jim, Natasha and Phil - it was a blast.  This was my first time in NYC for more than a day and I found it quite interesting-pancakes at 11pm taste wonderful and make sure your chair and plate are in the right place when eating at a certain Italian restaurant. So many wonderful friendships have arisen from being a Bonamaniac - can't wait for the next adventure.  It's always a blast.

So Rocket - is this what you were looking for?  By the way - you were missed.

Sandy

P.S.  A few pictures taken in stealth mode (the camera police were out in force).   Taken with the point and shoot so a bit grainy, but it works. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24057301@ … 3761709136

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

Yup!  Just what I wanted and needed, so thank-you ladies...and gentlemen!  Excellent reviews, pictures! And videos.  Great to hear some honest criticism about concert sound quality, absent of highly disgruntled, voraciously expressed malice.  And believable also. 

I think the cosmos aligned again...although I do wonder some things (not bad things).

Rock Salt ON & Keep The Faith In Traction,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Thank you Natasha, as usual, your videos are awesome. I was at the Kingston show a few days before Carnegie Hall and they had the same sound issues during the first song. They seemed to get it a lot better before the first song was over, and by half way through the second song, the sound quality was very good. I'm so glad I got to see this line up. Thanks again for the excellent videos Natasha, you rock!

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

I should have expected extreme weather. The night was abnormally cold for the first RAH. We almost melted in Vienna for the first acoustic tour. So Joemageddon in NYC for Carnegie??? Now it makes sense.

Thursday was such fun. Meeting up with Phil. Tash, Sandy, Michael, Jim, and Bill, as well as seeing Joe's family, all beaming with excitement. Having 8pm come and go was very odd. We all had visions of Joe pacing backstage. lol

Since I had been to the first show I was ready to see what had changed.  Anton's presence was noticeable, and almost too much (but fine tuned by the end and perfect on Friday). Once again it was Joe's voice that grabbed my attention the most. Control, power and pitch. Who knows how far he will take that instrument, but I know he's worked on it and that has paid off. Everybody on that stage was spot on and there didn't seem to be much to polish before Friday's show.

The big night arrived and we were just as excited as the night before. Snow predictions were changing by the hour, but who cared?? (Jim Moody, that's who, but that's another story. lol) Tina wore red. She had yellow on Thursday, but she glows in red. What else can be said. She is a force of nature. A China doll who loves to play Metal!! Reese was terrific. Lively and clear. I actually heard the percussionist and enjoyed all the nuance. I adore the vocalists. Mahalia can wail, Gary's voice is so fine with Joe's, and Juanita can hit those high notes!. Anton was at the right level. Eric? What can I say. He's self taught and can play SO many different instruments. It was all over way too quickly, but I could see Joe's family, standing and clapping like the rest of us. Pride radiated from them smile

And then.... lol... I really enjoyed being in NYC for the storm. It was quiet!! And a nice thick coat of snow is bound to leave a cleaner city. So, instead of coming home Saturday, I got home this afternoon. It's been a wonderful adventure, as are all those that include Joe and fellow fans smile

Cathy and Sandy, your reviews REALLY made me smile.  Everyone's pics were great to see, and video of Woke Up Dreaming... WOW!!  So now I know how you get to Carnegie Hall....  wink

Great musicians have a language & vocabulary that transcends the usual barriers & touches us on a more primitive , basic & yet complex level....

...I'll always have London in my heart, and in my soul...

Long time no post but wanted to thank you Natasha.   Following you on twitter keeps me up to date on all Joes videos you do.  These are so good.    My life is crazy right now and no time for social media but had to post here how much I enjoy your videos.  We watch your youtube channel on our tv at night.   Love all the music you record  and share. Joe is lucky to have you and Phil as his super fans.

18 (edited by nmagcorn 2016-02-04 21:53:09)

wvgirlinky wrote:

Long time no post but wanted to thank you Natasha.   Following you on twitter keeps me up to date on all Joes videos you do.  These are so good.    My life is crazy right now and no time for social media but had to post here how much I enjoy your videos.  We watch your youtube channel on our tv at night.   Love all the music you record  and share. Joe is lucky to have you and Phil as his super fans.

Nice to hear from you, Mary. Glad you and everyone else have enjoyed all the videos smile