Topic: GAS: There is hope!

For those who thought GAS was incurable I can report that is not the case. Like many others I had it bad but am now free of it. There were moments of deep despair when I thought I was more likely to walk on the moon than I was to achieve a tone that I was entirely happy with.

Having acquired a reasonable collection of guitars, amps and effects over the years I liked my sound but was always seeking that something extra (one of the key symptoms of GAS I believe). My salvation came with 3 recent purchases:

- A Fender Deluxe Reverb “Fudge Brownie” Limited Edition amp. (Other than colour, it is the same spec as a regular Deluxe Reverb except the speaker is a 40w alnico Jensen instead of a 100w ceramic Jensen. A couple of the factory fitted valves were noisy so I replaced all 9 valves);

- A Free The Tone MS-SOV (Matt Schofield signature overdrive pedal); and

- An Okko Diablo Gain Plus overdive.

The Deluxe Reverb delivers greats tones and at about the half-way point on the volume control those famous Fender cleans become beautiful valve break-up which can be further enhanced by either the MS-SOV or the Okko Diablo. But my eureka moment came when I stacked the MS-SOV into the Okko Diablo.  Suddenly I could get all of the tones I wanted for all of my guitars be they equipped with single coils, mini or full sized humbuckers or P-90s.

One of the unexpected side effects of curing my GAS is that I have started to use the guitar volume and tone controls a lot more.

So, my GAS has completely gone and there are no signs of it returning. I can honestly say that there is not a guitar, amp or effect that I want (or think I need)…and I never thought I would be able to say that!

2 (edited by cindyron 2016-01-07 12:00:35)

Re: GAS: There is hope!

RichardH wrote:

For those who thought GAS was incurable I can report that is not the case. Like many others I had it bad but am now free of it. There were moments of deep despair when I thought I was more likely to walk on the moon than I was to achieve a tone that I was entirely happy with.

Having acquired a reasonable collection of guitars, amps and effects over the years I liked my sound but was always seeking that something extra (one of the key symptoms of GAS I believe). My salvation came with 3 recent purchases:

- A Fender Deluxe Reverb “Fudge Brownie” Limited Edition amp. (Other than colour, it is the same spec as a regular Deluxe Reverb except the speaker is a 40w alnico Jensen instead of a 100w ceramic Jensen. A couple of the factory fitted valves were noisy so I replaced all 9 valves);

The Deluxe Reverb delivers greats tones and at about the half-way point on the volume control those famous Fender cleans become beautiful valve break-up which can be further enhanced by either the MS-SOV or the Okko Diablo. But my eureka moment came when I stacked the MS-SOV into the Okko Diablo.  Suddenly I could get all of the tones I wanted for all of my guitars be they equipped with single coils, mini or full sized humbuckers or P-90s.

One of the unexpected side effects of curing my GAS is that I have started to use the guitar volume and tone controls a lot more.

So, my GAS has completely gone and there are no signs of it returning. I can honestly say that there is not a guitar, amp or effect that I want (or think I need)…and I never thought I would be able to say that!

That's good news for you so.....,you sold all your other equipment? If not I question if you are cured

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

cindyron wrote:
RichardH wrote:

That's good news for you so.....,you sold all your other equipment? If not I question if you are cured

Why would I want to do that? I thought GAS was all about the need to acquire new gear. Hoarding is a different matter altogether.

I am as addicted to watching demo videos and reading/learning about new gear as ever. I particularly like what Daniel from the GigRig has been doing with his demos. Thorough yet fun. I however can say that I sold the last two pieces of gear that I was not using and kept only what I use, which is still considerable for most players. Though playing in two bands and recording constantly, those are need items.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

I hate to burst your bubble.....there is no cure for GAS.....you may temporarily treat the symptoms, but there is no cure.

Actually I have the cure: stop focusing on the gear and start playing more! big_smile

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

RichardH wrote:
cindyron wrote:
RichardH wrote:

Why would I want to do that? I thought GAS was all about the need to acquire new gear. Hoarding is a different matter altogether.

Funny sounds like we have hoarding/GAS issues.....
cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

8 (edited by NickelWound 2016-01-09 18:49:21)

RichardH wrote:

- A Free The Tone MS-SOV (Matt Schofield signature overdrive pedal)

I so want one of these. Is it the VII version or the real V1 with the Matt Schofield sig on it?.... not that it matters. What amazing pedals. One great cure against GAS is poverty. I have window shopping GAS tongue

macg1 wrote:

Actually I have the cure: stop focusing on the gear and start playing more! big_smile

Yup.  Record yourself, listen with honest ears and if you're not happy, realize that no amount of gear would have fixed what's on tape.  Only practice.

That said, I'm heading to the Orlando Guitar Show in a couple weeks to hopefully make some deals.  GAS is definitely not cured yet, although pretty close.  I've definitely reached the "less is more" phase, and I've figured out a whole bunch of things that I don't want in a guitar, regardless how pretty it is.  This has saved me from a lot of gear lust.  My wants are very specific these days.  Unfortunately they're expensive! ;-)

NickelWound wrote:
RichardH wrote:

- A Free The Tone MS-SOV (Matt Schofield signature overdrive pedal)

I so want one of these. Is it the VII version or the real V1 with the Matt Schofield sig on it?.... not that it matters. What amazing pedals. One great cure against GAS is poverty. I have window shopping GAS tongue

Unfortunately it is not the signature model. It is the MS-2V.

Perhaps I'll take it along to my next Matt Schofield gig and ask him to sign it! He is often to be found in the bar and always happy to have a chat.

RichardH wrote:

Unfortunately it is not the signature model. It is the MS-2V.

Perhaps I'll take it along to my next Matt Schofield gig and ask him to sign it! He is often to be found in the bar and always happy to have a chat.

It doesn't matter which version it is they both sound absolutely fantastic. That said, getting him to sign it would make it very cool indeed. Although I live on the other side of the Ocean if you ever decide you want to get rid of it......

NickelWound wrote:

It doesn't matter which version it is they both sound absolutely fantastic.....

I agree. For me, my Deluxe Reverb amp, MS-SOV overdrive and Fender Strat on the neck pickup is as good as it gets. The bridge pickup on my Strat is a little weak so I use the Okko Diablo after the SOV to give it a boost. At one time, Matt Schofield used a Klon Centaur as a boost after his SOV.

Hate to restart your GAS, but seeing as you are into Matt Schofield (as I also am)... you probablly should check out the Two Rock amps. They sound glorious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk4st_VhKg8

I did relapse a couple of months ago and replaced the pickups in my Strat with a set of Amalfitano SVL Daytona pickups (as used by Matt Schofield) and now it sounds even better. Nothing else in my rig has changed.

I would never want to replace my Deluxe Reverb amp which I absolutely love. I had a problem with some of the stock tubes getting noisy or microphonic soon after I bought the amp so it now has a TAD tubes.

jimsty wrote:

Hate to restart your GAS, but seeing as you are into Matt Schofield (as I also am)... you probablly should check out the Two Rock amps. They sound glorious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk4st_VhKg8

Toying with the idea of a Ceriatone Joyful Music 100 which is supposed to be a copy of John Mayer's signature Two Rock. Thinking one of those for the Strat and a Tweed Twin clone for the Les Paul and Tele....but then maybe that's overkill....

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

One of the things I particularly like about the Deluxe Reverb is that it works with all of my guitars/pickups which include 2 Strats (a SSS and a HSS), a Tele, 2 Les Pauls (one with humbuckers and one with P-90s), a Firebird (mini-humbuckers) and a Yahama semi-acoustic that has humbuckers.

The amp, the MS-SOV and the Okko Diablo gives me just about every tone I could want for!

17 (edited by RichardH 2017-12-02 10:23:35)

I thought I would update this topic that I started almost 2 years ago. I have made one change to my set-up but I am able to visit music shops without the urge to buy anything.

As I have already stated, I am a huge Matt Schofield fan and after seeing his gear rundown on Youtube thought I would try a Mad Professor Royal Blue overdrive in front of the MS-SOV. And I am so glad I did but sadly the Okko Diablo is off my board. I am using the same settings as MS on both pedals and together with my Strat and Deluxe Reverb amp the tone is sensational. I regularly get compliments about my tone and at a small show some months back, where bands were changing every hour, during our sound check the sound engineer commented how good I sounded.

After some of the factory tubes became noisy I tried a few different tube brands before settling on the TADs and I am convinced they contribute to the overall tone.

Every few months when I've nothing better to do I will try all of my overdrive pedals but I always come back to the Royal Blue and the MS-SOV.

One other update: As I speculated in an earlier post, when I saw Matt Schofield in July he signed the inside of the battery cover of my MS-SOV which was not originally a signature model.....but it is now!

macg1 wrote:

Yep, pretty much.

I like John Suhr's quote "most tone problems can be cured with daily practice" or something like that.