5,509 (edited by Brett 2016-09-16 13:14:31)

Re: What song are you listening to right now?

Saddle Up by Michael Raphael

https://youtu.be/bhMjIGtcYBw

I just have to post this every year or two to remember just how good he was. RIP Shawn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwgSRSGG9aA

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

McQueenie wrote:

Have Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Skeleton Tree on right now.  One of the most heartbreaking, harrowing and compelling 39 minutes of music I have ever heard.

- on my list to buy. Can’t imagine the pain of the last year for him. I wonder if he will tour this album? - and play Brighton, - not sure if I could hold it together if I witnessed it.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

Frozen Love - Buckingham & Nicks

5,513 (edited by BansheeUK 2016-09-22 08:16:12)

Red Butler - Nothing To Lose

Really solid album by the kids from Brighton; classy, confident and just a little cocky. There's a great dynamic between Mikey Topp (bass) and Charlie Simpson (drums) on the backline that really underpins the fireworks up front. Jane Chloe Pearce may not be a "Blues Shouter" but she has a husky, sultry quality that balances well with Alex Butler's intensity. In places, when double-tracked, Alex's guitar work is somewhere between Thin Lizzy & Wishbone Ash, but when he's unleashed, there's echoes of early 80s Gary Moore to my ear, maybe a little 80s Rainbow in there too. All this is lent a little keyboards colour, courtesy of Bob Fridzema.

The album builds confidently from a Wishbone Ash-esque Got To Make It through buzzing rocker (and band manifesto) Nothing To Lose and the bouncing Say Hello and All You Got To Do and the thundering Calm Before The Storm toward a showcase cover of Sandi Thom's Belly Of The Blues where Jane really gives her all and Alex tears out a dynamic solo. This seems to be a tipping point on the album as Big Bad Wolf just seems to explode out the speakers, Black Flies growls and snarls and You Only Live Once has a dirty, choppy little riff that sounds a little "Once Bitten...." And things come to a close with a swaggering Never Go Back.

Certainly a good range of flavours from a young band really finding their feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwJJ6KcCsoE  Say Hello (To My Little Friend)

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Color & Shape

Such a shame Joe doesn't play it anymore :-(

The Brew - Shake The Tree

Looking at Kurtis’ cover art work, it sort of takes you back to the days of Savoy Brown; when our skies were protected by the likes of Lightning jet fighters and not these ultra-high tech fly-by-wire, heat-seeking, laser-guided, smart doo-hickeys. No, Lightnings were 2 great big jet engines with a couple of little wings for guidance and stability, a couple of hooks to hang missiles on and a little seat - and that about sums up The Brew; basic, but bloody good fun. Thundering drums, snarling guitar, earth-shaking bass; granted lyrically they’re as sophisticated as a rock fight, but it all works.

This is a pledge album, and that’s probably paid to get former Little Angels’ frontman Toby Jepson in the producers chair; that guy had an almighty voice and it shows in the way that Jason’s vocals have lifted.

Sting - Fragile

5,517 (edited by BansheeUK 2016-09-26 06:52:15)

RavenEye - Nova

Well, Oli's now playin' it like his grungies are filled with wasabi. Grunge / Blues crossover, and a glorious noise it is. Oh My Love shows that he's not totally ditched Blues, take down the distortion and there's a really rootsy song under there. Then Hate comes along like a lost Alice Cooper... Madeline & Eternity also shine out. Oli really carries off this much heavier style with real conviction and with partner-in0crime Aaron Spiers, they're here to stay.

Rocket wrote:

Another Girl- The Beatles

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

Great song like many others.

5,519 (edited by BansheeUK 2016-09-28 05:21:01)

Recently come across these guys - Western Sand.

Love this track - Black Water Resolution - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSKPGD3J3tM

Stone Cold - Jimmy Barnes featuring Joe Bonamassa & Tina Arena

Space to Bakersfield - Black Mountain (psychedelic rock)

Kenny wrote:

Space to Bakersfield - Black Mountain (psychedelic rock)

From the album of the year is that! My ears still haven't recovered from seeing them in April...

Me, I'm listening to Strange Brew by Opeth, there are actually some Creamy licks hidden within it.

5,523 (edited by BansheeUK 2016-10-05 03:45:26)

Joanne Shaw Taylor - Wild
So, Joanne's sidled up with jerry Shirley for this one. Lost a bit of "bite"; the guitar work is immaculate, vocals sound a little more mature, but not as pyrotechnic as would have expected. Warming up to the self-penned songs though, but of the two covers - well jazz leanings here.... Gershwin's Summertime and Nina Simone's Wild Is The Wind; the first is kind of adequate and while the 2nd leans toward Bowie's arrangement at least Joanne realises she can't match Bowie's vocal plunges but delivers a crackin' guitar solo instead.

edit - KEVIN Shirley, not Jerry...

Ray LaMontagne - Trouble
Just the stuff for wet afternoons or smoky evenings.....

Jerry Shirley? You have been listening to Humble Pie too much smile

Kenny wrote:

Jerry Shirley? You have been listening to Humble Pie too much smile

Oops! Well spotted Kenny; of course I meant Kevin......

Blimey, haven't seen/heard Jerry since he did a stint with Eddie Clark in Fastway, inbetween Humble Pie reformations....

not bad for high school guys, but wait his voice is a bit better than Geddy's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw3rQQKUR-M

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives