Topic: When Bob Dylan Went Electric

Article from WSJ , that says Dylan changed rock when he picked up a Stratocaster ............ IDK , bout this ...   I think what people call " rock music " came from Delta and Chicago blues, interpreted by Clapton, Beck, Winwood, Led Zep, et al , who brought it back to America.

I think maybe the writer is giving Dylan more credit than he deserves.

When Bob Dylan Went Electric

Fifty years ago, Bob Dylan picked up a Stratocaster and changed the world of rock ’n’ roll forever.

By MARC MYERS

July 20, 2015 6:45 p.m. ET

17 COMMENTS

When Bob Dylan appeared at the Newport Folk Festival on the night of July 25, 1965, he had a Fender Stratocaster electric guitar around his neck. Three of his five backup musicians also took up electric instruments. Minutes into the first song, “Maggie’s Farm,” roughly a third of the 17,000 people in the audience began to boo. The media covered the rude reaction the next day.

Mr. Dylan couldn’t have wished for a better outcome. In the months ahead, the 24-year-old singer-songwriter was transformed from folk’s boy wonder into the poet equivalent of Elvis Presley. His newly released single “Like a Rolling Stone” would reach No. 2 on Billboard’s pop chart, while the album on which it appeared, “Highway 61 Revisited,” would climb to No. 3. For rock musicians, Mr. Dylan’s uncompromising lyrics and stripped-down delivery were a creative wake-up call.

By year’s end, the Beatles responded with “Rubber Soul,” and Mr. Dylan’s influence went viral. After 1965, the Beatles, Brian Wilson, Paul Simon, the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Lou Reed and dozens of other ’60s rock musicians found the courage to write songs that reflected their own perspectives and aesthetics. By plugging in, Mr. Dylan had put a pin in pop and started rock’s singer-songwriter revolution.

Fifty years later, it’s hard to imagine what all the fuss was about at Newport. In recent years, folk fans and artists who were there have insisted, almost out of embarrassment, that the boos were in response to the sound system’s high volume and distortion, not Mr. Dylan’s electric band. But in truth, the outrage was more complicated and deeply rooted in folk’s anti-materialism, the music’s orthodoxy, and a snooty belief that pop-rock of the early ’60s was mindless.

As evidenced in the 2005 documentary “No Direction Home,” Mr. Dylan was shaken when he left the Newport stage after cutting his set short after three songs. But months later, he shrugged off the reaction, telling a print interviewer, “I think there’s always a little boo in all of us.” Nevertheless, for many in the Newport audience, Mr. Dylan “going electric” was an act of betrayal by a misguided schemer trying to pass himself off as a British invader.

Folk fans were on a mission in 1965. Many saw the music’s early-’60s boom as proof that folk was winning over young, college-educated adults in the fight against the Vietnam War, segregation and conformity. In their minds, the only obstacle to expanding folk’s appeal to teens was the infernal electric guitar.

Viewed by folkies as the instrument of cheaters, the electric guitar was considered a sexually charged shortcut that could be cranked up to mask a lack of ability and artistic integrity. While folk fans and musicians seemed to accept the electric guitar in the hands of black blues musicians, they clearly detested the instrument when played by white pop-rock bands singing silly love songs.

There also was a political component. To the folk fan, Mr. Dylan’s use of an electric guitar was an insult to folk’s elders and a brash power grab. Fans believed that legitimate folk musicians played acoustic instruments, which kept the focus on the emotional power of the lyrics and vocals. Early on, two of those elders—Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger—had even given Mr. Dylan their blessing.

But perhaps the final outrage was Mr. Dylan’s perceived ego. By playing a flashy Stratocaster in a black leather jacket and tight jeans while singing “Like a Rolling Stone,” Mr. Dylan touched a nerve. Since the Depression, American folk songs were largely about protest and the collective “them”—victims of economic misfortune and oppression. By contrast, Mr. Dylan’s new single was interpreted as a snarky upbraiding of a woman who in her prime “threw the bums a dime” but now, on the skids, found herself with no direction home. To many folkies, the lyrics seemed condescending and mean-spirited.

American folk had changed considerably since the music’s early days in the 1940s, when artists like Guthrie, Seeger, Lead Belly, Josh White, Cisco Houston and Susan Reed were selfless, left-leaning troubadours singing to raise public awareness about corruption, racism and injustice.

Unlike the blues—a personal expression of rural hardship—American folk became an urban call to action. As Elijah Wald notes in his recently published book, “Dylan Goes Electric! Newport, Seeger, Dylan, and the Night That Split the Sixties,” folk “was not a particular sound or genre; it was a way of understanding the world and rooting the present in the past.”

Mr. Dylan’s rise in folk circles was rapid. He arrived in New York in January 1961 and by year’s end had a record contract with Columbia. In 1963 his “Blowin’ in the Wind” was a No. 2 pop hit for Peter, Paul & Mary, and by 1965 several of his songs were covered with chart success by pop-rock artists such as the Byrds, the Turtles and Sonny and Cher.

In June 1965, Mr. Dylan recorded “Like a Rolling Stone.” Originally planned as an acoustic waltz, Mr. Dylan decided on a rock beat instead—with Mike Bloomfield on electric guitar and Al Kooper on organ. The single was released on July 20.

Up at Newport on July 24, Mr. Dylan rehearsed an electric set with Bloomfield, Mr. Kooper and several members of the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, an electric blues ensemble. The next night, the stage’s sound system was cranked up. In addition to the boos that followed, Seeger reportedly was livid.

But despite the initial displeasure with Mr. Dylan’s amplified experiment, his fusion of folk and rock didn’t take long to catch on with fans. A month later, when he played an electric set at the Forest Hills Music Festival in Queens, N.Y., catcalls again went up in protest. But this time, something strange happened. As Mr. Dylan kicked off “Like a Rolling Stone,” the audience began to sing along.

Mr. Myers, a frequent contributor to the Journal, writes daily about music and the arts at JazzWax.com.

Re: When Bob Dylan Went Electric

Well, yeah, that's definitely a Dylan fanboy's point of view...I was around in those days, and I can tell you that while electric Dylan was AN influence on Rubber Soul, it certainly wasn't the only or even the most important one...

Dylan "went electric" in mid-1965. Here's a short list of rock songs that were Billboard Top 100 hits the year when Dylan "changed the world of rock 'n roll forever":

• "Help!" "Ticket to Ride," and "Eight Days a Week" - The Beatles ("I Feel Fine" spent two week at No. 1 in January of '65 but didn't make the year's Top 100 list)

• "Help Me Rhonda" and "California Girls" - The Beach Boys

• "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and "The Last Time" - The Rolling Stones

• "For Your Love" and "Heart Full of Soul" - The Yardbirds

• "All Day and All of the Night" - The Kinks

• "She's About a Mover" - Sir Douglas Quintet

• "I Like It Like That" - The Dave Clark Five

• "We Gotta Get Out of This Place" - The Animals

• "Go Now" - The Moody Blues

And so long as we're indulging in fanboy-ism, I would also point out that The Who released bloody "My Generation" that year, too! And I'd argue that while that song may not have been a pop hit, it was every bit as influential on the development of rock 'n roll as Bob Dylan and his Stratocaster...

Have I mentioned that Chuck Berry and Little Richard were still big stars in 1965, too? Pretty sure they influenced rock 'n roll a little bit also...

Rather surprising that this nonsense is still being offered as truth 50 years down the road, but there you go...  #RockJournalism  #DylanHagiography

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

I disagree.

Folk ON & Folk OFF (musically, not personally),
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I agree with you coach....very little if any significant influence from Dylan on this issue....

In 1965 ,  I was 13 yrs old ....  never listened to Dylan.    Had two older brothers and they never listened to Dylan.   But I still have vinyl from that era of most of the artists on Coach's list.   That was what played in our house.

Dylan picking up a Strat had next to no influence on Rock and Roll. Lets be real here, has anyone ever praised Dylans awesome guitar chops? I'm not putting him down, but he's no guitar hero. I have great admiration for the singer-songwriter-performer, and Dylan certainly fits that description, but there isn't anything all that impressive about his guitar playing. Dylans strengths were in songwriting and lyrics, IMHO.

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

that^

Dylan is a like a poet/ a master lyricist.  He has the ability to say sooooo much in the least amount of words, its a gift!

My hubby and I have this thing we do after 30 years of marriage...when he is going on and on about something and I need him to get to the point...I say, let's have a Bob Dylan moment. big_smile

After all these years, when I recently listened to Blood on the Tracks, I am still amazed at all Dylan manages to get across so creatively in the most condensed amount of words.

Rusty wrote:

Dylan picking up a Strat had next to no influence on Rock and Roll. Lets be real here, has anyone ever praised Dylans awesome guitar chops? I'm not putting him down, but he's no guitar hero. I have great admiration for the singer-songwriter-performer, and Dylan certainly fits that description, but there isn't anything all that impressive about his guitar playing. Dylans strengths were in songwriting and lyrics, IMHO.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

I could not agree more.  Truth is, Bob Dylin has never even been much of a guitar player at all in my opinion.  There were far better infuences and players than Bob.  He's a poet not a guitarist. 

Coach305 wrote:

Well, yeah, that's definitely a Dylan fanboy's point of view...I was around in those days, and I can tell you that while electric Dylan was AN influence on Rubber Soul, it certainly wasn't the only or even the most important one...

Dylan "went electric" in mid-1965. Here's a short list of rock songs that were Billboard Top 100 hits the year when Dylan "changed the world of rock 'n roll forever":

• "Help!" "Ticket to Ride," and "Eight Days a Week" - The Beatles ("I Feel Fine" spent two week at No. 1 in January of '65 but didn't make the year's Top 100 list)

• "Help Me Rhonda" and "California Girls" - The Beach Boys

• "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and "The Last Time" - The Rolling Stones

• "For Your Love" and "Heart Full of Soul" - The Yardbirds

• "All Day and All of the Night" - The Kinks

• "She's About a Mover" - Sir Douglas Quintet

• "I Like It Like That" - The Dave Clark Five

• "We Gotta Get Out of This Place" - The Animals

• "Go Now" - The Moody Blues

And so long as we're indulging in fanboy-ism, I would also point out that The Who released bloody "My Generation" that year, too! And I'd argue that while that song may not have been a pop hit, it was every bit as influential on the development of rock 'n roll as Bob Dylan and his Stratocaster...

Have I mentioned that Chuck Berry and Little Richard were still big stars in 1965, too? Pretty sure they influenced rock 'n roll a little bit also...

Rather surprising that this nonsense is still being offered as truth 50 years down the road, but there you go...  #RockJournalism  #DylanHagiography

10 (edited by Bill S 2015-07-24 06:31:21)

Not to steer this too far off topic, and not to take away from Bob Dylan (I LIKE Dylan), but I've argued for some time now that Neil Young is every bit the songwriter that Dylan is. In fact, for my money I'd take Neil's catalog over Bob's.
Tin soldiers and Nixon coming...

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Bill S wrote:

Not to steer this too far off topic, and not to take away from Bob Dylan (I LIKE Dylan), but I've argued for some time now that Neil Young is every bit the songwriter that Dylan is. In fact, for my money I'd take Neil's catalog over Bob's.

I say it is a tie. They both are equally annoying in many ways but brilliant.

interesting route of debate with Young v Dylan, - both individuals with limitations in terms of singing ability that did not let them  get in the way of the message being delivered. Both brave enough to use their abilities to speak out against the establishment, both in later years turned out to be grumpy! And in the case of Dylan an artist that I did not appreciate until I was in my 40’s.

Dylan’s lyrics are incredible, - interesting to see young artists cover his songs so as to bring them to a newer more commercial audience, - thinking Adele and Ed Sheran. Finest song: Masters of War.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

never was much of a Dylan fan, bought a few singles but not an album. I do have a lot of his music now, but never realized exactly when the change to electric started. Bob would never ever make my top 100 guitarists, Neil would. I own almost everything that Neil has ever released and consider him to be a much superior artist....but NOT necessarily a better singer, they both have that nasally whine going on....lol

Bill S wrote:

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

I pay little attention to lyrics,   l listen to music ....   and Dylan with a Stratocaster did not do much for me.

15 (edited by Rocket 2015-07-24 10:58:05)

To deny Bob Dylan a huge influence on music culture of beyond that evening is naiive. You can debate the definition of Rock and Roll, or the validity of his "musicianship,"...

But there would be no Jimi Hendrix superstar or Bruce Springsteen without a direct connection...for starters.

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket, I believe the statement was something about Dylan changing rock and roll forever when he picked up a Strat...I don't think anyone here doesn't understand his influence on rock and roll music or music in general, just that his playing the electric guitar didn't make much of a difference in rock...I also believe he was an average guitar player but a real force in lyrics and song writing...I don't think Dylan picking up a Strat had any effect on Jimi Hendrix but perhaps his songwriting did...they are within a year in age so I have my doubts about the supposition that there would be no Jimi Hendrix superstar without Dylan...

17 (edited by Rocket 2015-07-24 16:37:34)

I believe the opinion of Robert Zimmerman changing "rock and roll" forever stands up to any priori issue challenge!

Questions: Was folk relegated to a lower status than the blues after this event?  Or was it incorporated, more than less, into the "rock and roll" idiom?  Regardless of record store filing or chart placement, was it, to any degree, more emboldened or perhaps intellectualized to an even higher level? 

Perhaps just the courage or "stupidity" of playing the electric guitar when that was the last thing expected from Bob Dylan was minimally the catalyst to expand the direction and autonomy of the independency of artists that had been pioneered by Sam Cooke, Buddy Holly, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, etc. 

I think recording production technique experimentation influenced Rubber Soul and Pet Sounds more so, indicating an expansion of creativity channeled first and foremost by the technology, followed by social attitudes.  But those coupled with Dylan going electric vied for influence on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (and IT'S tremendous influence on "rock and roll"), with a tie to be determined to be probable except for one overiding factor of Dylan's electric venture-the in your face aspect of it (whether he intended it to be or not).  In my view, I see a wedge driven that made other's able to have a billiard ball effect of influence on "rock and roll" (Sex Pistols, when they really weren't as advertised, post fade out/demise).

There's a definite link between electric Dylan and psychedelic Hendrix, Jimi would be the first to say so.  Overlooked, John Hiatt would appear to be definitely influenced strongly by Dylan in "going electric" himself, without being exclusively acoustic at the same time (he's pretty good at both), with lyrical amazement to match, although I have long contended John Hiatt harkens to a modern time Stephen Foster, minus the pervasive popularity...

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

Rocket wrote:

I believe the opinion of Robert Zimmerman changing "rock and roll" forever stands up to any priori issue challenge!

See, Rocket, this is why we love you, and miss you when you're not around...  wink

I don't agree with your analysis, obviously, but it's a fun argument to have. And as someone who taught rhetoric and argumentation for 30 years, I have always insisted that people ought to have fun when arguin'...  big_smile

I would make the argument that when Dylan "went electric," he turned his back on the idioms of folk music, as that term is properly understood. If you think Highway 61 Revisited or Blonde On Blonde are folk music being played on electric guitars, well...at that point, the term "folk music" is being stretched beyond all usefulness.

My faith is strong, my brother, just as I know yours is...

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO