Re: Silver Jubilees are back

Have you seen this clip? Watch from 2:20 onwards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RfTz-1Lvxk

Interviewer: Who are some of the more famous players that played Jubilee amps? Answer: "Slash was the most famous ... the Black Crowes used it for a long time, Steve Morse, another amazing player, used it for a long time ... those, I would say, are the three big ones, with the biggest being Slash of course". Now this chap does not really come across as the most eloquent of men but not mentioning Joe is just ridiculous. Where was he the past 10 years?

Another thing: the issue is not just hand-wired vs. PCB. They don't even use the original circuit but they "use modern production techniques to emulate this amp and make it much more affordable" (1:20 onwards). Oh dear, oh dear...

21 (edited by cindyron 2015-01-24 08:46:54)

ruger9 wrote:
cindyron wrote:
ruger9 wrote:

I couldn't read the article, couldn't get it to load for some reason....IF they are HANDWIRED, I agree.  If there's a PCB in there anywhere, the prices are ridiculous.  (not that I personally have anything against PCBs, I don't)

I can understand and agree to a point about hand wiring but many incredible amps out there even some amazing boutique builder units are second to none are hand wired. I personally would not get to hung up on the hand wired thing.
My two cents
Cheers Ron

Did you even read my post?  I said I DON'T PERSONALLY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH PCBS...  my point was, if they are going to charge that much money, they SHOULD BE HANDWIRED for the cost.

A $2000 -$3000 "boutique" amp is handwired.   So if you're comparing the price of these new Jubs to boutique amps, compare the construction methods as well.

I READ YOUR POST .....LIGHTEN UP .... Not all boutique amps, some very good ones, are not hand wired. Besides having a hand wired amp does not make it superior. But oh yeah you must know this since you must have many. At the end assuming these are as good as the original the price tag does not seem out of line compared to other Marshall's out there. Time will tell looking forward to reviews compared to the original.

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

I don't have a dog in this hunt. I don't want a Jube.  ALL I'M SAYING IS, if you are going to charge $3000 for an amp, it needs to be constructed like the other $3000 amps, which are handwired- anyone selling a $3000 amp that's usng PCB construction (which I'm sure you know is a MUCH cheaper way to make an amp) is OVERCHARGING.

But if it's not the same circuit, all bets are off anyway-  might be a great amp, but if it's not a 100% correct reissue, it'll never be comparable to the original (again- I don't care, I don't have a dog in this hunt, just stating facts as I have witnessed them with FENDER all these years.... change a resistor or 2 on a vintage circuit, and all holy hell breaks loose.)

$3000 ?  More like 1899,99
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/2555X/

Women, whiskey and miles of travelin' is all I understand

ruger9 wrote:

I don't have a dog in this hunt. I don't want a Jube.  ALL I'M SAYING IS, if you are going to charge $3000 for an amp, it needs to be constructed like the other $3000 amps, which are handwired- anyone selling a $3000 amp that's usng PCB construction (which I'm sure you know is a MUCH cheaper way to make an amp) is OVERCHARGING.

But if it's not the same circuit, all bets are off anyway-  might be a great amp, but if it's not a 100% correct reissue, it'll never be comparable to the original (again- I don't care, I don't have a dog in this hunt, just stating facts as I have witnessed them with FENDER all these years.... change a resistor or 2 on a vintage circuit, and all holy hell breaks loose.)

I assume you are aware when you CAPITALISE some take it as you are screaming. Everyone has and should have their opinion. Unfortunately none of my boutique amps are $3000 or less. I would only wish. So I guess we are talking about apples and oranges. Also hand wired does not garentee quality. Yes hand wired is more labor intensive and would cost more but if the amp builder knows how to properly layout pcb construction and is meticulous to placement then it will be cheaper and guess what? Just as good or better then hand wired. So I do not believe for a minute that a worker meticulously handwirring point to point is not going to make a mistake. If the pcb is done properly the first time that potential issue is off the table. My two cents is all this info is. In the end we all have our viewpoints which is great. Just do not SCREAM and force yours onto someone else. Lighting up this is great stuff to talk about do not be soooooo serious.
Happy gear hunting.
Cheers Ron

"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Ron... "LIGHTEN UP" lol

You're still apparently missing my point. I'm not talking about quality. I'm talking about paying for what you get.  But no need to continue... if you want to overpay for a PCB amp, you have every right to. smile

I love my PCB amps. I just don't pay $3000 for them.

I'm off to TGP for some peace and quiet...
Damn...

ruger9 wrote:

Ron... "LIGHTEN UP" lol

You're still apparently missing my point. I'm not talking about quality. I'm talking about paying for what you get.  But no need to continue... if you want to overpay for a PCB amp, you have every right to. smile

I love my PCB amps. I just don't pay $3000 for them.

I am not having an issue at all, not missing your point. Apparently we are speaking a diffenrent launguage I will keep my posts on this topic to replys from other.
Cheers Ron

I am surprised  that they never mentioned Joe as for me no one else has done more to endorse the Marshall Silver Jubilee I had never heard of one until Joe came along, if Marshall were clever they would have approached Joe to make a signature model but maybe he cant do that as Category 5 have already done this .

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

SOFTMC wrote:

I am surprised  that they never mentioned Joe as for me no one else has done more to endorse the Marshall Silver Jubilee I had never heard of one until Joe came along, if Marshall were clever they would have approached Joe to make a signature model but maybe he cant do that as Category 5 have already done this .

I was wondering the same thing good point
Cheers Ron

SOFTMC wrote:

+1 cool

The BonaMaritimer .. All Dials To The Right!

scorpion-70 wrote:

Sounds reasonable it will be interesting what reviews it gets
Cheers Ron

32 (edited by David.247 2015-01-24 13:38:11)

I see no reason why he can't endorse two amps if he's actually using them unless Category 5 have a clause in their contract.
I wouldn't be surprised if Marshall have re introduced the 2555 because of Joe though.

cindyron wrote:
scorpion-70 wrote:

Sounds reasonable it will be interesting what reviews it gets
Cheers Ron

Yeah, me too

..and what Mr. J.B have to say about it..?

Women, whiskey and miles of travelin' is all I understand

Bluesbreaker wrote:

Another thing: the issue is not just hand-wired vs. PCB. They don't even use the original circuit but they "use modern production techniques to emulate this amp and make it much more affordable" (1:20 onwards). Oh dear, oh dear...

Hi All,

To hopefully add some clarification about the old versus new circuit for those interested...

http://marshallroadhouse.com/viewtopic. … p;start=15

(Read Santiago's posts for the relevant info)

So, from what that says, it looks like Jube fans should be quite happy!

Cheers,

From the Marshall Roadhouse Forum...

Marker wrote:
Thanks, I didn't knew about changes to remove the "hum"; I never noticed any hum in my Slash reissue edition, not even cranked and with high gain.

On this video at 1:27 the Marshall Marketing Director says that modern production techniques were used to emulate the sound and keep it afordable:

I wonder what he means; if Santiago could drop a line on this it would be awesome.

santiall wrote:
Hi, unfortunately that was a very bad choice of words by Nick. There is nothing being emulated in the amp and there are no "modern construction techniques". The amplifier is pcb like the originals were although of course the pcb has been updated into a double sided one, with DC heaters and we corrected an issue with flickering relays that the originals had.

The amplifier is built in the same style of other UK Marshall amp with that type of conduction(AFD, YJM, VM, YJM...) and we also upgraded internal connectors, used cloth covered wires and a few other improvements which will become standard in new Marshalls.

The mains and impedance selectors were removed as they are becoming difficult to find and difficult if not impossible to get them pass modern safety standards.

We also added external bias points with two trimmers, one per push pull side.

Hope this clarifies the issues.

Zen Guitar wrote:

From the Marshall Roadhouse Forum...

Marker wrote:
Thanks, I didn't knew about changes to remove the "hum"; I never noticed any hum in my Slash reissue edition, not even cranked and with high gain.

On this video at 1:27 the Marshall Marketing Director says that modern production techniques were used to emulate the sound and keep it afordable:

I wonder what he means; if Santiago could drop a line on this it would be awesome.

santiall wrote:
Hi, unfortunately that was a very bad choice of words by Nick. There is nothing being emulated in the amp and there are no "modern construction techniques". The amplifier is pcb like the originals were although of course the pcb has been updated into a double sided one, with DC heaters and we corrected an issue with flickering relays that the originals had.

The amplifier is built in the same style of other UK Marshall amp with that type of conduction(AFD, YJM, VM, YJM...) and we also upgraded internal connectors, used cloth covered wires and a few other improvements which will become standard in new Marshalls.

The mains and impedance selectors were removed as they are becoming difficult to find and difficult if not impossible to get them pass modern safety standards.

We also added external bias points with two trimmers, one per push pull side.

Hope this clarifies the issues.

thanks for the info
cheers Ron