Topic: Boston show at the Wang

Hi All
Just checking in to see who is going to the Boston show at the Wang?
11 days will be awesome
cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Re: Boston show at the Wang

I'll be there with my son. We're bringing Sam, who is a couple years older than grif and is also learning guitar, and his dad.

I had two M&G passes, so Sam and Grif will meet Joe. :-)

timb wrote:

I'll be there with my son. We're bringing Sam, who is a couple years older than grif and is also learning guitar, and his dad.

I had two M&G passes, so Sam and Grif will meet Joe. :-)

That is awesome see you there

"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Have a great time guys! Had to pass this time around-really bummed because looks like he won't be back this way until fall!

Dont need a helmet to get me through life-walk across the water blame it on foolish pride.

PORTLAND2012/SPRINGFIELD2012/BOSTON2013/HAMPTON BEACH2014/BANGOR2015/PORTLAND2016/PORTLAND2017

fett2112 wrote:

Have a great time guys! Had to pass this time around-really bummed because looks like he won't be back this way until fall!

Too bad you could not make it. Hope to catch you at the next show
Cheers Ron

6 (edited by mutantofthemonster 2015-01-23 01:31:13)

First videos from The Wang in Boston 1/21/15

"Slow Train"-Acoustic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPW_HeULGYg

"Double Trouble" Smoking solo!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a90vy1PJIso

"The Ballad of John Henry"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzz2P-SXeaQ

Cant wait till Sat night!!

That was a great show. And Sam and his dad seemed very impressed with their first Joe show.

There's already been a thread on it, but I'm disappointed in the lack of respect from some in the audience. Once again, Joe brought the level down for a delicate part, and that spurred the yahoos that feel the need to be heard to all start yelling. I hope NYC gives him a little more consideration for the quieter parts.

I knew horns were added, but I didn't know piano was added to the acoustic set, with Reese Wynans taking over keyboards from Derek Sherinian. (At least for this show, I know no official statements of anything.)

timb wrote:

That was a great show. And Sam and his dad seemed very impressed with their first Joe show.

There's already been a thread on it, but I'm disappointed in the lack of respect from some in the audience. Once again, Joe brought the level down for a delicate part, and that spurred the yahoos that feel the need to be heard to all start yelling. I hope NYC gives him a little more consideration for the quieter parts.

I knew horns were added, but I didn't know piano was added to the acoustic set, with Reese Wynans taking over keyboards from Derek Sherinian. (At least for this show, I know no official statements of anything.)

Hey Tim good to see you guys last night. I tried to find you in the crowd after the show to see how the newbies liked it. The next show we should plain to get together before the show. Cheers Ron

Ron or anyone that attended would you mind telling us all the set list. Thanks

wvgirlinky wrote:

Ron or anyone that attended would you mind telling us all the set list. Thanks

Here is the acoustic set list. Does anyone know what the instrumental piece was between DSOB and Black Lung Heartache?

Acoustic set
- Dust Bowl
- Trouble Town
- Still Water (Daniel Lanois)
- Stones In My Passway
- Slow Train
- Different Shades of Blue
- instrumental interlude
- Black Lung Heartache
- Happier Times
- Athens to Athens

I'll do the electric set later when I have time to listen to it again.

Electric set:

Never Give All Your Heart
Love Ain't a Love Song
Hidden Charms
Can't Be Satisfied
Double Trouble
Gave Up Everything for You
One Less Cross to Bear
Living on the Moon
Sloe Gin
Ballad of John Henry
-------
Hey Baby
Oh Beautiful
So, What Would I Do

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

Sandy, that's the list I have too. I'm not familiar with One Less Cross To Bear. Does anyone know more about it? Google was no help.

timb wrote:

Sandy, that's the list I have too. I'm not familiar with One Less Cross To Bear. Does anyone know more about it? Google was no help.

I'm pretty sure it's "It's Not My Cross To Bear" by the Allman Brothers. Starts at about the 2:30 mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkBdtjq_26s

Lee wrote:
timb wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's "It's Not My Cross To Bear" by the Allman Brothers. Starts at about the 2:30 mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkBdtjq_26s

BTW, I'm sure it's a long shot, but maybe one Greg Allman could be joining Joe to do this one at Radio City? Leading up to the first Royal Albert Hall gig, Joe was playing "Further On Up The Road" before Clapton joined him that eventful night.

15 (edited by cindyron 2015-01-22 20:22:41)

Great show last night by Joe and his band. Joe never ceases to amaze me how he can weave such an entertaining two hours. You guys going too Radio City are in for a treat for sure.
Cheers Ron

Well last night in Boston was interesting.  For the first time in many years I was going to see Joe and really didn't know what to expect in the song department. Really, no clue.  I saw the set list from Albany and other than the acoustic set I was woefully ignorant of most of the songs in the electric set.  Yes, I know most were from the new album, some from the Red Rocks show, but I have not been one of the folks on here who gleefully dived into the latest album or watched a lot of the Red Rock vids.  I like it, but it didn't bowl me over the few times I listened, so it has been one of those (there has been one other) that I decided to let it sit awhile and then revisit when the mood was right.  I also had heard some of the songs live in November so I knew those ones.  Fortunately, as is usually the case with Joe's stuff, the songs always sound much better in live mode than studio, and I really enjoyed the new stuff.  I hope Joe will keep So What Would I Do in the set (it makes a great closer).  In a lot of ways it is like Asking Around for You in its sentimental appeal, but as happens with other songs of Joe's that develop and change over time I think this one has a lot of possibilities.  Having the horns was nice.  I saw the original horn section at RAH in 2009, and again at Shepherd's Bush in 2013 and loved the texture and depth they added then and now.  I ran into Lee Thornburg outside and had one of those "I know who you are I've seen you with Joe before" moments - very nice guy, and his trumpet playing is great.

The acoustic set was killer.  These guys are going out with a bang and then some.  Slow Train was the bomb!  Someone posted my one and only video I took last night earlier ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPW_HeULGYg ).  I kept looking over my shoulder for an approaching headlight (or security person).  I was with several people last night who had never seen the acoustic set and they just loved it.  Lenny Castro is a one man show in and of itself.

Reese Wynans deserves special mention.  He is a legend in his own right, and he just MADE a lot of the songs last night.  Subtle but always there, and sounded like he had been playing with this band for years and not just a few times.  He was obviously having a ball just being there. I hope he will stay with the band for awhile, but I will understand if he does not.

Odds and ends: Carmine's boots were so cool,  audience was a bit rowdy, but not seriously so for the size of the place (3,000+), great to see a lot of my Boston gig buddies again, and would someone please tell the Wang to stop checking tickets for the second time before you get to the third person to check your ticket - huge bottleneck in the outer lobby.  Also - to Joe's lighting people:  during Oh, Beautiful those orange, very high powered lights (the ones sitting on the stage) that kept blasting on the audience were painful, literally.  Please change the angle or something.  I literally thought my eyeballs were going to split open at one point.  Probably does not affect everyone but it was really unpleasant.

Overall a great night, with one exception:  no Mountain Time!  I know Joe put Sloe Gin back into the set list because of one lady from Arizona who complained.  Well, I am officially registering my complaint about Mountain Time.  It is the one song I just need to hear live on a regular basis.  I know (or at least hope) it will be back, but it was dearly missed last night.

Long show (ended at 10:45), so to answer all those who complained about prices I certainly feel as if I got my moneys worth. Ten masterful musicians in one show, and I caught one of Tal's sticks.  Great night.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

17 (edited by timb 2015-01-22 21:48:40)

Lee wrote:
timb wrote:

I don't think so. Someone had that Alman Brothers song on setlist.fm for the Albany show at http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/joe-bonam … a8a9a.html, though it was changed to "one less cross to bear" in the last edit.

I have a bad recording of the concert on my phone, and the lyrics are clearly "I got one less cross to bear", and a few other lines are clear enough to not match that song at all.

18 (edited by mutantofthemonster 2015-01-23 01:45:02)

timb wrote:

Thanks to Sandy for posting the setlist...

I see in Boston they mixed up the electric set a bit and they dropped "Too Much A'int Enough Love" sad love that song!!/ and replaced it with "I Can't Be Satisfied"...hope we will hear both at RCMH Sat night!!!

I also am wondering about "One Less Cross to Bear" only thing even close is an old Cole Porter song...but even that doesn't have the exact lyric "I got one less cross to bear"

I too am hoping its the Almman Bros. song "It's not cross to bear" and if Beth Hart doesn't sing it at RCMH...would be cool to see Gregg Allman do it...although his voice is kinda shot!!