Re: Joes fender amps, Why the change ?

From the videos ive seen I dig the new rig, and I really liked the 2013 Tour De Force rig that was just the classic marshall plexis. I think joe sounds great with those classic lower gain amps. and I totally agree with Devan, the search for tone is constantly changing, I know my rig and the tone I look for has changed dramatically in the past 2 years or so.

I miss the Budda days for sure. It is what inspired me to pick one up. I also love the tone he got on a version of Sloe Gin where he was playing a Trainwreck. I am also working on simplifying things these days. I need to look up some of these tweed videos.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars:62 LP SG , 02 FB VII, JB FB I, 76 Electra Omega, 64 Firebird V, 73 LPC, 61 Custom Tele, 59 and 60 Melody Maker
Effects: Mythos Chupacabra, Strymon Deco/Flint

I asked Joe about the Trainwrecks he said he used them for a specific sound he was playing a Tele on that tour. He didn't use them for every tone. Just specific guitars. Dumble if I'm not mistaken is nothing more than a modded Twin circuit all the clones are mimicking Dumbles. He is just going back to the egg so to speak.

I can't wait to see some videos of Joe using the new setup...   since I would be able to get to a live show any time soon sad

No more Silver Jubilee? I cannot see it...
http://youtu.be/tEYdC1xkeYQ

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

No more Silver Jubilee? I cannot see it...
http://youtu.be/tEYdC1xkeYQ

Well, it doesn't sound much different to me, and there's no surprise there- we all know tone, to a large degree, in "in the hands" (technique, touch, etc).  However the new tone does sound more "direct", less smooth, more "vintage" if you will....   but it would also sound like that if he used only 2 pedals with 1 Jube as well.  (no delay, fx loops, wet/dry, yada yada yada)

25 (edited by macg1 2014-11-20 13:34:15)

It is a great tone, and I am sure JB can conjure up good sounds even from a peavey classic 30, but to say that it all sounds the same no matter what he plays is a bit of a stretch. I can hear a difference, even in that video Nic posted. A lot less note clarity (when compared to his Dumble tones) and more hair/fuzzy character around the notes.

At the end of the day tone is a mix of the player's hands/technique AND the gear. If the gear did not contribute, why not play a Crate GX60 or one of those carpeted Fender M80 amps and call it a day?

Guitars:62 LP SG , 02 FB VII, JB FB I, 76 Electra Omega, 64 Firebird V, 73 LPC, 61 Custom Tele, 59 and 60 Melody Maker

macg1 wrote:

It is a great tone, and I am sure JB can conjure up good sounds even from a peavey classic 30, but to say that it all sounds the same no matter what he plays is a bit of a stretch. I can hear a difference, even in that video Nic posted. A lot less note clarity (when compared to his Dumble tones) and more hair/fuzzy character around the notes.

At the end of the day tone is a mix of the player's hands/technique AND the gear. If the gear did not contribute, why not play a Crate GX60 or one of those carpeted Fender M80 amps and call it a day?

You know you're not disagreeing with anything I said, right?  wink

Carpeted Fender M80s lol

Conspiracy theory time!
1. maybe JB buried the hatchet with Fender and is playing their amps because he allows himself to now.
2. maybe JB is realizing he has an effect on the guitar market values and wants to drive up the value of those fender amps
3. maybe marshall snubbed JB, or perhaps they are working together on something huge
4. maybe JB just woke up one day and decided to 'switch it up a bit. gearheads go in phases...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Carpeted Fender M80s lol

Conspiracy theory time!
1. maybe JB buried the hatchet with Fender and is playing their amps because he allows himself to now.

oh no you didn't!  LOL

Altho, that would nice, since no one is going to be able to afford Gibsons, new or old since the "auto-tune on everything" mandate will drive up used prices as well, come January 2015.

Gibsons aren't "better" guitars anyway, despite JB's (understandable) issues with Fender. Just different. And now ALOT more expensive!

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Carpeted Fender M80s lol

Conspiracy theory time!
2. maybe JB is realizing he has an effect on the guitar market values and wants to drive up the value of those fender amps
3. maybe marshall snubbed JB, or perhaps they are working together on something huge
4. maybe JB just woke up one day and decided to 'switch it up a bit. gearheads go in phases...

Or Maybe JB just woke up one day and realized "i can sound good even with a broomstick, so i will use whatever i find in that closet right there and amaze everyone has the great idea to show up to one of my shows" smile

Fender John Mayer, Clapton CS, Ash Tele Am. Deluxe; Gibson Les Paul std. 2005, Es-335 Bonamassa (JB328), Warren Haynes; PRS Tremonti 10 Top; Asher Ben Harper Sig. / Martin D41; Taylor 914CE; Takamine TNV460SC; Rockbridge SJ & 000-12/ Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature V3; Marshall TSL100; Fender Twin Reverb '65; Orange Tiny Terror, Blackstar Artisan 15 Combo.

Stefan76 wrote:

Or Maybe JB just woke up one day and realized "i can sound good even with a broomstick, so i will use whatever i find in that closet right there and amaze everyone has the great idea to show up to one of my shows" smile

Yeah!! Hey Joe, please play your next show with a Squier Tele and a Champion 600! smile

ruger9 wrote:
macg1 wrote:

You know you're not disagreeing with anything I said, right?  wink

oh no I wasn't meaning to disagree nor argue. just making points.

Hey folks! New guy here. I came to the forum to check on this exact issue. I saw my first JB concert last night in Columbus, OH. As a guitarist, I was excited to hear his Legendary rig in person. I'd known he'd used Fender amps on the new album, and they sound cool, but, I didn't think he'd use them live. Well, hr did. Line of four in front of the Drums, with one mic'd.
BUT, what I'm hoping for some confirmation on is (now, I'm not really and 'expert' but have been playing for 25 years, and would lay down some serious money that...) He had the Marshalls there, and switched to them for certain songs. I was kinda into the show, and losing time, but I THINK the first time he switched over was "quarry man". It was an obvious shift in tone.

Can anyone confirm, or correct this!?

It was a GREAT show.

jburtontenor wrote:

Hey folks! New guy here. I came to the forum to check on this exact issue. I saw my first JB concert last night in Columbus, OH. As a guitarist, I was excited to hear his Legendary rig in person. I'd known he'd used Fender amps on the new album, and they sound cool, but, I didn't think he'd use them live. Well, hr did. Line of four in front of the Drums, with one mic'd.
BUT, what I'm hoping for some confirmation on is (now, I'm not really and 'expert' but have been playing for 25 years, and would lay down some serious money that...) He had the Marshalls there, and switched to them for certain songs. I was kinda into the show, and losing time, but I THINK the first time he switched over was "quarry man". It was an obvious shift in tone.

It was a GREAT show.

I was there also and can't say I heard him switch away from the Fenders, to me the tweed sound was very evident throughout.  Heard some wah, very judiciously used, and extra overdrive at times.  Bulk of tone changes came from use of volume and tone controls, pickup selection, and string attack dynamics in my opinion.  Very straight up Joe and his guitar(s).

34 (edited by ruger9 2014-11-21 15:18:42)

Hogsniper wrote:

Heard some wah, very judiciously used, .

That's the 2nd time someone has said that- that it sounds like Joe is using ALOT more wah.  I would hate to think he's leaning heavily on the wah because he's got virtually no pedalboard and no amp switching anymore, I HATE guys who beat a wah to death.  (and JB can play a wah for sure, but too much of anything is too much.)

ruger9 wrote:
Hogsniper wrote:

Heard some wah, very judiciously used, .

That's the 2nd time someone has said that- that it sounds like Joe is using ALOT more wah.  I would hate to think he's leaning heavily on the wah because he's got virtually no pedalboard and no amp switching anymore, I HATE guys who beat a wah to death.  (and JB can play a wah for sure, but too much of anything is too much.)

Ruger - not sure if I am misunderstanding you or you me but he used very little.  By judiciously I meant its use was discreet and prudent.

36 (edited by jburtontenor 2014-11-21 18:53:05)

Hogsniper wrote:
jburtontenor wrote:

Hey folks! ..... It was an obvious shift in tone.

It was a GREAT show.

I was there also and can't say I heard him switch away from the Fenders, to me the tweed sound was very evident throughout.  Heard some wah, very judiciously used, and extra overdrive at times.  Bulk of tone changes came from use of volume and tone controls, pickup selection, and string attack dynamics in my opinion.  Very straight up Joe and his guitar(s).

I absolutely agree it was very straight up. And as always, he makes wizardly usage of innate properties of the amps and instruments with little effects.  But, again, to me there was one tone specifically that went WAY beyond the others. If it was a serious SERIOUS boost in gain, compression, and especially dB. Even my non musician wife said " man, Joe just got a lot louder in the mix" because other times, in my opinion, the wooly sponginess of the Tweeds makes him not cut quite as well.