Topic: Joes fender amps, Why the change ?

seen Joe use the fender tweeds on tour at the mo , all I can say that it sound amazing the guitar sound so good , what pedals is he using?
More than anything why the change?

Re: Joes fender amps, Why the change ?

As far as I've seen, straight purist vintage. Just a tube screamer into  a wah. Why? one listen will tell you. smile
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Yeah I heard the rig up close with just the two pedels and what tone. But hey Joe can make any setup work and sound amazing. Difinitly the vintage vib
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

4 (edited by Devan 2014-11-15 19:40:52)

Reason for the change?  Because the tone chase is a never ending cycle... big_smile

Every time I think I have found "the" tone on my rig, a month later I am hankering for something new, something better.  I think every guitarist goes through this, Joe included.

It's a good thing though - I don't think I could listen to any guitarist I liked for years and years if they just had the same tone.  Angus Young being the exception here... lol

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

I think the Fender rig gives Joe a better possibility to showcase and to feel his "real" tone.
It's not that processed as with his regular rig. I personally tend to play very down-specked rigs, only one OD and a Wah - this connects me more with my instrument and music. I guess this is also Joe's approach. The clips I've heard were tremendous and sounded so real! I hope he keeps it that way for a while.

I saw Joe play at the Fox in Detroit.  He brought on Jim McCartey for a couple songs.  Jim used a tube screamer and BK Butler Tube driver in to a Fender Twin Reverb from the mid 60s.  He played a 93 custom LP.  His tone was superior to Joe's at that time (2013).  Jim blew me away with that setup.  I immediately was on the hunt for the same setup and I have it.  Sweet warm tone as it gets.   I am glad to see Joe go to a Fender Twin.  I think you will notice more of Joe's finesse with this set up.  I will find out up close Monday night in Fort Wayne.

Ok, I'll be the one to say I don't like it. Being an old school Les Paul guy like I am the Marshall based rig was perfect. I guess change is good but like I said, Les Paul and Marshall just go together. I doubt it will cost him fans and I'm sorry for the negative but I don't like it.

Anthony

RJ wrote:

I saw Joe play at the Fox in Detroit.  He brought on Jim McCartey for a couple songs.  Jim used a tube screamer and BK Butler Tube driver in to a Fender Twin Reverb from the mid 60s.  He played a 93 custom LP.  His tone was superior to Joe's at that time (2013).  Jim blew me away with that setup.  I immediately was on the hunt for the same setup and I have it.  Sweet warm tone as it gets.   I am glad to see Joe go to a Fender Twin.  I think you will notice more of Joe's finesse with this set up.  I will find out up close Monday night in Fort Wayne.

I watched the video of them playing Blues Deluxe in Detroit. Mr. McCarty had smokin tone and killer chops, as did Joe of course. I personally love an old Fender plus a few choice pedals.  Thanks for brining this to our attention. I really enjoyed this video.

He's been using Dumbles instead of Fenders for that tone. SO no surprise to me.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Still my favourite all-time tones from Joe is him running into those Jim Kelley 1x12s. Closely followed by a Jub on its own.

My Fav was the Silver Jub/ Buddas...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Sloe Gin live at the Royal Albert Hall 2009. Whatever he was using then is tops for me.

RichardH wrote:

Sloe Gin live at the Royal Albert Hall 2009. Whatever he was using then is tops for me.

Same night same stage. "So Many Roads". Oh Wow.

Anthony

14 (edited by RJ 2014-11-18 13:00:51)

I saw Joe and Band(s) last night.   He is definitely using Tweed Fenders.     2 Bassman and 2 Twin Amps all very vintage.  Only one of the Twin Amps was miked.   There was also a tweed Victoria as a backup hidden behind the fenders. 

Only a wah pedal and a boost pedal just like Clapton.  Everything else gone. He used the wah extensively to change his tone as needed for the phrasing at hand.

It was the best tone I have heard live from Joe.   He was able to be more precise and articulate and show off how talented he really is.  This is a huge improvement over previous set ups IMO.... and I live and breath Marshall.   

Seeing Joe mature his amp choices over the years has been refreshing.  He nailed it last night.

RJ wrote:

Here is a video of that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYtZ3cPNsaQ Jim's tone to me is a little tinny or brash and not warm like Joe has with the 355. Also now with Joe through twins it is less bright and much warmer. I was slow to warm up to the idea of the Tweed rig for the Solo band but like people have said here it doesn't really seem to matter what he plays through. I like to say I saw him play through a friends Peavey Bandit at it was awesome. Those worried need to only see a show and enjoy.

I think I have poor man's Bonamassa rig then. I'm running an Ibanez TSA 15 amp (Tubescreamer built in the head) and usually only run a wah pedal. It's a clean sort of amp that's Fenderesque in a way. Go me! lol

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

I can't help but wonder if there is more to this rig than meets the eye. If there are only 2 effects would you really want to run the same signal into 4 amps? So that raises the possibility of there being a splitter somewhere behind the scenes? I've not seen any pictures of the rig or heard it so cannot speak with any knowledge but if the signal is split could there be other effects, perhaps in a rack? Knowing Joe's love of Reverb, Tremolo and Delay could there be some or all of these effects attached so some of the 4 amps?

I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but perhaps Joe has followed the example set by some other guitarists and has his tech operate the effects selection for him (cue dramatic music from Twilight Zone or Psycho)!

Love Fender Tweeds myself, have a 60 Vibrolux that just sings!
So I am welcoming hearing Joe play through them.