Re: Different Shades of Blue Review

After many plays since release day, I am really enjoying this cd. I can't pick a favorite song, and I am glad I waited for the Best Buy version with the 3 extra songs. Thanks Joe and all for another fine musical  feast for my ears!! See you on down the road (hopefully) soon.

rocknblues81 wrote:

"Love Ain't A Love Song" seems like it should be a duet with Beth Hart.

I was thinking the same thing!

Finally picked this up last weekend and have been listening each morning as I get ready for work. I don't love it but I do like most of it.

Scarlet Town will not be making it to my iPod and maybe not the title track either. I do think the vocals are overworked on Oh Beautiful. I prefer that song live anyway.

Love Ain't A Love Song is my fave right now followed by the last tune of the bonus tracks (not sure of the name). It's kind of poppy sounding but I enjoy it.

DTTD really missed the mark for me so I'm glad to have this to put into the mix. But it won't be infiltrating my top 5.

In short - thumbs up!

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

75 (edited by DougH 2014-10-12 07:23:53)

Acutally Different Shades of Blue title album track sounds like a Beth Hart song more than Ain't a Love Song.

Joe's lyrics:  DSoB .. "You can tell the way you hang your head."

Beth's lyrics: I'll Take Care of You ... "I can tell by the way you carry yourself."

(edit)Is it just me or does Different Shades of Blue title track sound a bit country in the middle?

I'm running this Cd a lot in my car, no super sparks of wow.. but a good solid CD none the less.

I think the CD name sums up the CD..
It's a medley of blues:
I'm hearing Chicago Blues, Country Blues, BB King Blues, Big Band Blues, Piano blues,
even the first track has a feeling of Pink Floyd's Echo's from 1971 in it.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

76 (edited by Kenny 2014-10-11 19:27:05)

Sorry. Do I need to apologise? Scarlet Town (bonus song) is by far my favourite song on the album. I wonder why it's not on the standard release.

IMO there is not a killer song this time.

Now I really wish I was able to hear these bonus track songs! I'm sure they'll come out on youtube sometime. I really enjoy "Never Give all your Heart" and Get Back my Tomorrow" I can definitely jam to those! Overall I really like the album! I always prefer Joe's live stuff over studio, but the album is two thumbs up for me!

Kenny wrote:

Sorry. Do I need to apologise? Scarlet Town (bonus song) is by far my favourite song on the album. I wonder why it's not on the standard release.

Kenny wrote:

No need to apologize as everyone has their own likes and dislikes.I really like Scarlet Town although not one of my favs.
I do think Oh Beautiful is a killer song and Love Ain't a Love Song.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

"Top of 50" album selling list in Finland, Joe is this week ranking 45. Last week Different Shades of Blue place was 29, of all album's that's was sell in Finland smile

Women, whiskey and miles of travelin' is all I understand

Beyond enjoying most of the songs for their lyrics as a whole, there are a few choice spots that I would like to highlight as very good/favorite.
"Maybe the truth is just a lie"
"maybe there's no good reason why"
"maybe this dust on my hands is gold" love it.....

Yeah, that's awesome.  IMHO this is definitely Joe's strongest effort yet, lyrically.  My personal favorite (which has been stuck in my head all week):

"I don't pay them dues, and I'm due some money back"

Such a cool line.  The whole song is great.

wow....I just got the best buy version of this cd  Black Irish Eyes is just off the hook.......

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

whirlwind wrote:

wow....I just got the best buy version of this cd  Black Irish Eyes is just off the hook.......

I agree! This just might nudge Love Ain't A Love Song as my fave! As I'm sitting here social networking I'm on my third listen. Loving this CD more each day!

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Kenny wrote:

...no Bud,i'm with you totally... its a very 'even' album... the only track i've had the urge to hit the repeat button on is Scarlet Town

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

Well I have had this album now for over a month and listened to it many times.  I need to change my favorites to the following.:

1)Different Shades of Blue ( this song has really grown on me just love the words and sound)
2)So What should I do ( just so sad and love the guitar on this one)
3)Tie ( Scarlett Town and  Oh Beautiful.

I am sure this will change. I always find new songs on each album that hit me at different moments.
I have been trying to imagine DSOB on the acoustic and man that would be so cool.   

I still think Sloe Gin in my favorite Joe Album overall but  this one and John Henry are close seconds

85 (edited by sally12333 2014-10-26 22:55:06)

I rarely like anything on the first play.  But now after several long car trips, am loving this record but it's truly impossible to pick just one or two faves!  And still have to get the Best Buy version yet to complicate things.

All I know is this is destined to be a classic!

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

86 (edited by ZeyerGTR 2014-10-27 17:01:38)

My 3 favorites (hard to pick, though)
1) Heartache Follows Wherever I Go
2) Love Ain't A Love Song
3) Get Back My Tomorrow

The album is great all the way through.  "I Gave Up Everything For You 'Cept the Blues" and "Scarlet Town" are my two least favorite songs, but I don't skip them if they come on.

Hard to say at this point where I'd put DSOB in terms of albums.  After some of the newness wears off I'll reassess, but it's right up there.  Maybe #2 after Dust Bowl... maybe #1... we'll see.

I cant stop listening to it....I am into it big time!

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

And I don't like a lot of it.
I prefer a more raw band without the brass and keyboard.
More blues/rock style.

I finally picked up the cd at Best Buy yesterday...been on non-stop in the car.  Can't say I have a favorite song yet but I am seriously liking this cd.  Can't put my finger on it yet...maybe it sounds so polished to me or it just speaks to me on a whole different level from prior cd's...but something grabs me.  And the bonus tracks are great...

Great job Joe!!!!

Barry

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

LesPaul4 wrote:

I finally picked up the cd at Best Buy yesterday...been on non-stop in the car.  Can't say I have a favorite song yet but I am seriously liking this cd.  Can't put my finger on it yet...maybe it sounds so polished to me or it just speaks to me on a whole different level from prior cd's...but something grabs me.  And the bonus tracks

Barry

It's a full on band sound complex.Even the guitar parts have some crazy cool sounds in the solos.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky