Topic: Different Shades of Blue Review

Thought I would give all those who aren't lucky enough to be born in NZ or AUS that must wait another week for the album.

The album starts with the scratch of a Jazz 3 over the strings of a strat, in the crunchy walk of Hey Baby (New Rising Sun). We get a short treat of the Joe we've come to know with his many covers, but this is the last time you will hear something familiar on this album, possibly a symbol for Joe's change of direction. We continue to Oh Beautiful! a thick, creamy mix of soaring highs and textured lows, a unique song for Joe's repertoire sure to become a strong starter in his live shows. Love Ain't a Love Song follows; an upbeat bee-bop style song with a rich mix of distorted tones and crisp cleans. It may sound out of place directly after the rocky Oh Beautiful!, but once that chorus comes in, it's clear there's something about this song that just makes sure it works.

Next, be transported to another time with Living on the Moon. An upbeat, jazzy mix that both ballsy and sweet; backed up by the solid blues-rock track Heartache Follows Wherever I Go. A track containing strong vocals with lyrics you're bound to be singing along with and a solo that'll leave you in the dust. We continue the momentum into Never Give All Your Heart; when that lead guitar comes in over the first few scorching chords, you know you're in for a treat with this track. With it's punchy rhythm, awesome lyrics and tonal changes throughout it's bound to be a favourite of all you Joe fans; but that lead tone is sure to leave guitar enthusiasts tinkering with their amps and searching for that tone for decades to come.

We dive deeper into the sea of blues with I Gave Up Everything for You, 'Cept the Blues, a 12 bar bluesy ballad of tongue-in-cheek lyrics and a rhythm that will have you grooving for hours. Next is the title track of Different Shades of Blue, the piece simply sums the album up so well there's no point to explain it any further.
     Get Back My Tomorrow, is one of the most unique songs on the album by far. With vocals that sounds eerily Black Keys over the casual crunch of the backing guitar with pinching accents and turn straight out of 1980's surf rock, this track will surely become a favourite of those who love Joe's eccentric side. Trouble Town cements this albums big band sound with a full bodied tone and chant riddled chorus will leave you humming for days.
     Lastly, we slow down for a soulful stroll in the song So, What Would I Do. Inspired by Cornell Dupree, this deliciously soft number features a lot of piano and vocals, the cleanest guitar tones of a hollow body Gibson and a similar styling to Joe's Asking Around for You. It acts as the perfect ending to a great blues album right from the first tink of the ivory to the fading hum of the amp at the end.

A great mix of blues, that's very well engineered. With this album, not only do we see Joe open a new chapter in his life and career but we must also open up a new entry in the encyclopedia of blues for Joe has surely left us with something we have not yet heard before.

P.S. Sorry Joe, I'm usually more of a critic but I liked this album too much.

What hurts to learn, will make you wise.

Re: Different Shades of Blue Review

Nice review, so excited to get my copy

Thank you for sharing, Kaiminator!

Stick around with us!

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

Great review thanks and welcome. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Awesome review!!

Unfortunately a friend told me that the album is already on many torrent sites ready to download sad

Hope that this is not that much trouble for someone like Joe who has such a huge fan base that have already pre ordered the new album or will buy it when it's out (many in multiple copies!!! smile ).
I have some money on my itunes account and will also buy their digital version...but nothing is like to unwrap the cd,  then fight to take out the cd without breaking it and then...BOOM...Volume on 10...and the neighbors can have the first listen for free! smile

Fender John Mayer, Clapton CS, Ash Tele Am. Deluxe; Gibson Les Paul std. 2005, Es-335 Bonamassa (JB328), Warren Haynes; PRS Tremonti 10 Top; Asher Ben Harper Sig. / Martin D41; Taylor 914CE; Takamine TNV460SC; Rockbridge SJ & 000-12/ Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature V3; Marshall TSL100; Fender Twin Reverb '65; Orange Tiny Terror, Blackstar Artisan 15 Combo.

Thank you for the review!!  I recevied an email that my copy shipped yesterday!!!!!!

TheKaiminator wrote:

Thought I would give all those who aren't lucky enough to be born in NZ or AUS that must wait another week for the album.

Hey TheKaiminator - I'm in AUS too and you stole my thread idea. tongue

I'm disappointed that Joe isn't coming to Qld on this current tour. sad Sigh. I still rushed out and bought Different Shades last weekend though, just as I always have, bought or pre-ordered Joe's albums ASAP.

There is actually a couple of songs I don't really feel did it for me. Get Back My Tomorrow, I Gave Up Everything... and the title track.

My standouts would have to be Love Ain't A Love Song, Heartache Follows..., and Oh Beautiful!

9 (edited by TheKaiminator 2014-09-17 19:24:48)

Lukelele wrote:

Haha sorry.

To Lukelele-
I don't blame you for not clicking with those songs - they're definitely unique. I've spend a few years listening to obscure genres and bands and I can see the ideas he's drawing on, plus I'm used to hearing some outrageous blues numbers, so I really like all the tracks and actually Get back My Tomorrow is probably my favourite on the album. That's also why I said usually I'm more of a critic... I just liked the album too much haha.

Lukelele wrote:
TheKaiminator wrote:

I'm disappointed that Joe isn't coming to Qld on this current tour. sad Sigh. I still rushed out and bought Different Shades last weekend though, just as I always have, bought or pre-ordered Joe's albums ASAP.

There is actually a couple of songs I don't really feel did it for me. Get Back My Tomorrow, I Gave Up Everything... and the title track.

My standouts would have to be Love Ain't A Love Song, Heartache Follows..., and Oh Beautiful!

It sounds like you just hate the slickest songs on the album.

rocknblues81 wrote:

It sounds like you just hate the slickest songs on the album.

lol rekt

I have to agree though - they're some of the best jams I've heard in a while

12 (edited by rocknblues81 2014-09-17 22:18:53)

I've heard most of the album... I still have to wait for my copy to come in to hear all the new songs, and of course the superior sound quality.

Most of the songs on this album are on the shorter side I've noticed... it's clear that Joe is changing directions. This album sounds a good bit different than Dust Bowl and Driving Towards the Daylight. It's bitter sweet for me because those are my two favorite albums (Black Rock being my least favorite) of Joe's. But you can't keep making the same album over and over again... So I know that Joe has to take a different direction.

The album feels rushed in places. None of the songs are bad, but some of them are over quickly. My favorites tend to be songs like "The Ballad of John Henry" and 'Slow Train". Almost nothing here resembles those songs.

"Love Ain't A Love Song" is the first song that really shows the new direction Joe is heading in... It sounds somewhat catchy, but it's a faster pace and more upbeat. It does not totally grab me yet.

"Living on the Moon" is probably my least favorite song on the album. It's a quick shuffle with some tasty guitar work in the middle, but it does not work for me overall. It just kind of comes and goes.

Then we get to the meat of the album. Things pick up steam a bit with "Heartache Follows Wherever I Go". This seems a bit more familiar than the few previous songs, but it still has a faster pace to it. It's good, but not as absorbing as some of his previous stuff.

"Never Give All Your Love" has a feel that is closer to what I expect from Joe. "I Gave Up Everything for You, 'Cept the Blues" is probably one  of my favorites. It's somewhat of a standard blues rock number, but that's not a problem for me.

The title track is the type of song that you would expect to be a single. It has a slow and predictable pace with lyrics that would appeal to a more casual listener. It's almost like a single you would get from the country music genre. It's a really good song as long as you don't mind the album having a song that is more radio friendly.

Get Back My Tomorrow also has some radio appeal. It has some of that swagger that he had in his last few albums. The lyrics are a little repetitive, but it's a pretty damn good song.

I actually like the albums closing song. Some reviews say that it's a bit of a disappointment considering it's slow placed and mellow, but that's why I love it. It's a very heartfelt R&B type of song. This one will get some play from me.

Song ratings:

1. Hey Baby ( New Risng Sun): 9/10
2. OH Beautiful!: 8/10
3. Love Ain't A Love Song: 6.5/10
4. Living On The Moon: 5/10
5. Heartache Follows Wherever I Go: 7.5/10
6. Never Give All Your Heart: 8/10
7. I gave up everything for you,cept the blues: 8.5/10
8. Different Shades Of Blue: 8/10
9. Get Back My Tommorrow: 8/10
10. Trouble Town: 6.5/10
11. So, What Would I Do: 8/10

12. Scarlet Town [Bonus Track] N/A
13. Better The Devil You Know [Bonus Track] N/A
14. Black Irish Eyes [Bonus Track] N/A

It's possible that the ratings will change. Sometimes it takes time before I truly accept new albums. It took awhile before I started to love the last album also.

Well written review Kaiminator
I am looking forward to the hard copy in my hands and out into the disc player in my car cranking it up to 11!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

"Love Ain't A Love Song" seems like it should be a duet with Beth Hart.

DaveWammbarro wrote:

This is my favourite album since John Henry. Riffs, solid fat production and arrangement and nice singing. No covers? Really great songs. Well done.

I can't put it ahead of Dust Bowl. One great thing about that album is how atmospheric it is. I love Joe the most when he is doing songs like Ball Peen Hammer, Dust Bowl, Slow Train, Black Night, Black Lung Heartache and The Ballad of John Henry.

I would probably rank the solo albums like this:

Dust Bowl: ****1/2
Driving Towards the Daylight:****1/2
Sloe Gin:****1/2
A New Day Yesterday:****
The Ballad of John Henry:****
Different Shades of Blue:****
Had to Cry Today:****
You & Me:***1/2
Black Rock:***1/2
Blues Deluxe:***1/2
So, It's Like That:***

Music is such an interesting thing because it is so subjective. Everybody reacts to its composition, words, tempo, beat in different ways. A favorite album for one may be a least favorite for another.

nmagcorn wrote:

Music is such an interesting thing because it is so subjective. Everybody reacts to its composition, words, tempo, beat in different ways. A favorite album for one may be a least favorite for another.

No doubt. There are some people that only like albums like Sloe Gin and Blues Deluxe. And there are some that like the latest albums, but have no use for the earlier albums.  Music is like comedy in that peoples opinions of what works really does vary.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aA3UPWMUabQ
Found this one

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky