Re: Different Shades of Blue Review

I think the cd is very diverse. So depending on which mood I'm in, the favourite songs vary. I agree with Zeyer about Joe's voice. Since there's less guitar soloing on the cd, the voice becomes more important. I think Joe sounds great.

Personally I much prefer more noodling over less, the voice is an improvement and the album great. First listen though.  big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Joe Bonamassa you've done it again ...

Thanks to Amazon cloud I've listened to this album twice through now and IMHO it's the best thing you've ever done.  There's not one single track I don't like.  It's just one hell of a complete album and a testament to the artist you've become.  And as a bonus the limited edition deluxe version CD arrived today.  Time for a singalong.

Just my quick review. Unlike some other CD's-DTTD-SILT- I didn't have that immediate "What an AWESOME CD" moment. After a few listens though I'm really starting to enjoy the CD in it's entirety. My personal faves are Love Aint a Love Song, Get Back My Tomorrow, and Better the Devil You Know. For those who did not get the bonus tracks I would strongly suggest getting them if you can. I think all 3 are some of the better tracks on the CD with Scarlet Town sure to be a fan favorite.

Dont need a helmet to get me through life-walk across the water blame it on foolish pride.

PORTLAND2012/SPRINGFIELD2012/BOSTON2013/HAMPTON BEACH2014/BANGOR2015/PORTLAND2016/PORTLAND2017

41 (edited by Jimi75 2014-09-24 13:58:38)

My very own and personal opinion:
After aprrox. 20 run throughs I have to say that DSOB is a very homogeneous album. I like that fact very much, because with past albums I tended to skip some of the numbers, especially when Joe went country and did other experiments. With DSOB I fully enjoy listening to the entire album over and over again. The session like attitude with which the songs were recorded is really shining through and ads to the whole atmosphere – DSOB is one big composition, everything fits and the song sequence is the most perfect ever on one of Joe's albums. The rhythmic additions in form of percussions and the brass sections are perfect and luckily not overdosed but subtle.

What I like:
Great lyrics – yeah man, love hurts and broken love even more. The „Hey Baby“ intro is a perfect intro to the whole theme and I congratulate Joe on this choice!
Finally, more concentration on the vocals! Joe's voice developed nicely over the past year and I dare saying it sounds more mature and delivers messages in a more believable and convincing way.
Extremely cool guitar rhythms and diverting songs – the shorter running time of the tracks gives them a more stable feel. Well composed solos – it's great to hear new licks. Joe seems to return to more recognizable solos with lesser notes, also here I certanly hear a development. The solos are touching, if not overwhelming, especially the one on „Heartache follows...“ and on „DSOB“.
Tremendous compositions can be heard on the title track and „Never give all your heart“, a cool and unforeseeable chorus can be heard on „Living on the Moon“, which reminds me a little bit of the style Gary Moore used to compose. The sound of all solos is by far the best I've heard in a long time. The cover artwork is outstanding and underlines Joe's style. No guest singers, yeah!

What I kinda dislike / what could've been better:
I wish the recording quality of the rhythm guitars would have been better. At some places it sounds very compressed and I think that with million dollar equipment on both sides, instruments and studio, Kevin Shirley could have done slightly better. Don't get me wrong, all in all this record is great sounding, but it's the small things sometimes. Although „Heartache...“ is a great song, I can not stand the rhythm section of drum and bass. This sounds like a cheap backing track. Man, such things have to be played more layed back – it really sounds like drums and bass are generated by some software plug-ins and quantized to death. Fortunately, Joe saves this number with his great vocals and raunchy guitar playing. Further, on some of the tracks the snare sound is weak and sounds electronical. As mentioned, these are all small things that do not diminish the listening pleasure in any way.

Bottom line:
This album sounds very personal - it's the musical essence of Joe where Joe stands musically. It's such a nice piece of music and I hope Joe keeps up this kind of approach. It's a pleasure to ride the car and having DSOB in the car audio!!!!
Thanks for that Joe!

42 (edited by the dude 2014-09-24 21:56:35)

Excellent album. 

The 3 most satisfying songs for me are Get Back My Tomorrow, Different Shades, and Never Give All Your Heart. Love Ain't a Love Song and Heartache Follows Wherever I Go are close behind.  So What Would I Do is great but it gets to me so much it's almost painful to listen to for me.

My one quibble would be with the production choices on Oh Beautiful.  I like the live version (from the French TV show) much better.

All in all, great stuff.

Edited to add: I Love I Gave Up Everything for You, too.  Living On the Moon, too.  Great new spin on the old blues shuffle!

Edited again to add:  Ok, I give up.  It's all great.  Kudos Joe.

Reading some reviews... The reviews on amazon.com are positive... All 5 star reviews.

Not so much on the UK amazon site. It seems some there feel that the CD is a bit overproduced. I'm not sure that I don't agree to some extent.

It's a masterpiece really!

Finally, excellent production, too.

Love it!

I have listened to it about 4 times and like it more each time. In fact, my biggest complaint is that the Hendrix cover is too short at only 1:20 long. Otherwise, it's damned loud and great to play in the car (with the windows down in traffic)

easily 4 stars for - perhaps 5.

SBS

Love this cd the clarity is awesome
Great job Joe and band
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Having had a few days to fully absorb Different Shades of Blue, my verdict has changed.  This is a perfect album!  It sounds gorgeous  -- production, instrumentation, and vocals.  Love the original songs.  The attention to detail in all phases is truly exceptional.  Joe's voice is every bit the equal of his guitar work, and the guitar solos are fantastic and varied. 

Being a greedy guy, I hope we have more of similar quality to look forward to in future years.  This level of excellence cannot go unnoticed by the culture at large for long.  Onward and upward!

the dude wrote:

Having had a few days to fully absorb Different Shades of Blue, my verdict has changed.  This is a perfect album!  It sounds gorgeous  -- production, instrumentation, and vocals.  Love the original songs.  The attention to detail in all phases is truly exceptional.  Joe's voice is every bit the equal of his guitar work, and the guitar solos are fantastic and varied. 

Being a greedy guy, I hope we have more of similar quality to look forward to in future years.  This level of excellence cannot go unnoticed by the culture at large for long.  Onward and upward!

I too like the guitar solos.They are varied as you say and great.I would love it if they were longer but can't complain too much because they are consise.Not a wasted note.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

This CD is everything I love about Joe. It's edgy and hard. This is the Joe I love, he moved away from this type of raw energy in my opinion) and now he's back. This CD is everything that made me love Joe from the first moment I heard him.

50 (edited by Michael 2014-09-27 09:56:40)

This is Joe's first release since Had To Cry Today which i feel captures closest to Joe's live sound in studio setting, he has fluidity and awesome vocals, it all runs so smooth, the tracklisting order is perfect from the teaser opener of Hendrix chords to just seamlessly flow into Oh Beautiful, is a bit faster and shorter that live version, but it gets its point across very powerfully, loving the rumble of the guitar, this is not a review just a quick oversight on only 2 full listens.

So notable is his vocals and wording, its very clever and polished and a new fresh slant on his music, there are faint strains of Nashville coming through with a modern spin.
Standouts alreal are, "Oh Beautiful" "Love Ain't A Love Song" "I Gave Up Everything For You, 'Cept The Blues" (Joe's best shuffle in years) "Different Shades Of Blue" (which i love already) "Get Back My Tomorrow"(this is so awesome already, my fave)

Love the punchy feel and Reese's Keys are stellar plus that heavy rhythm guitar sound in there, its killer

.............. Michael

Pre Purchase funny story, went into HMV early while at work like 9am on sale date and there were 2 guys talking at New Release stand holding Different Shades of Blue, i said "good choice", the coversation that followed was comical (if i can remember roughly how it went), they were telling me this guy is the new thing, im like "oh Yeah"  (just back from Wyoming & Colorado, shhhhh!) have you seen em live i ask, theyre like yeah seen him last year, he is better live "oh Yeah" was my reply, have you got any of his stuff i ask, they both are on a roll now, yeah got his last few albums each, "you gotta see his live DVD's thats where he really best"  (theyre talking to waldo lol)  tho i was in my Suit, guess it was an extreme curveball, i said i'll check him out, and went and picked up my copy, they were there when i left with my copy, i held it up and said, thanks alot
cool

got it on now and i gotta say, im hearing so much Angus & Malcolm Young touches in here, it is freaking awesome, driving powerful rhythms, thanks Joe Kevin & Roy xxx

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

Michael wrote:

This is Joe's first release since Had To Cry Today which i feel captures closest to Joe's live sound in studio setting, he has fluidity and awesome vocals, it all runs so smooth, the tracklisting order is perfect from the teaser opener of Hendrix chords to just seamlessly flow into Oh Beautiful, is a bit faster and shorter that live version, but it gets its point across very powerfully, loving the rumble of the guitar, this is not a review just a quick oversight on only 2 full listens.

So notable is his vocals and wording, its very clever and polished and a new fresh slant on his music, there are faint strains of Nashville coming through with a modern spin.
Standouts alreal are, "Oh Beautiful" "Love Ain't A Love Song" "I Gave Up Everything For You, 'Cept The Blues" (Joe's best shuffle in years) "Different Shades Of Blue" (which i love already) "Get Back My Tomorrow"(this is so awesome already, my fave)

Love the punchy feel and Reese's Keys are stellar plus that heavy rhythm guitar sound in there, its killer

.............. Michael

Pre Purchase funny story, went into HMV early while at work like 9am on sale date and there were 2 guys talking at New Release stand holding Different Shades of Blue, i said "good choice", the coversation that followed was comical (if i can remember roughly how it went), they were telling me this guy is the new thing, im like "oh Yeah"  (just back from Wyoming & Colorado, shhhhh!) have you seen em live i ask, theyre like yeah seen him last year, he is better live "oh Yeah" was my reply, have you got any of his stuff i ask, they both are on a roll now, yeah got his last few albums each, "you gotta see his live DVD's thats where he really best"  (theyre talking to waldo lol)  tho i was in my Suit, guess it was an extreme curveball, i said i'll check him out, and went and picked up my copy, they were there when i left with my copy, i held it up and said, thanks alot
cool

got it on now and i gotta say, im hearing so much Angus & Malcolm Young touches in here, it is freaking awesome, driving powerful rhythms, thanks Joe Kevin & Roy xxx

Jeezus Michael, I'm laughing out loud reading this!
How did you keep a straight face through all of that?
Someday they'll be watching one of Joe's DVD's: "Hey, isn't that the guy in the front row that fellow we talked to at HMV?"
Classic Lynch moment, lol.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Hi Benr08.
Well I can't say I can recall a Joe solo as being to long.On Oh Beautiful I was thinking the solo could actually be longer and wanted to hear more !!! That's just me I think all the solos on DSOB are so great they leave me want in them to go on longer!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

I feel like it has been ages since i have been on the forum.  Great Reviews.  I had pre-ordered the album several months ago and was just able to get around to downloading it this morning.  I actually put my ear buds in this morning and went for a long walk so that i would not be disturbed while listening.  All i can say, since i don't really put my thoughts into words very well at all, is that i have had a great big toothy grin on my face since this morning and have listened to the album on a loop all day.  It made taking my accounting midterm and my financial analysis of Starbucks project seem to go by faster.   I even went online and purchased another  Bonamassa concert ticket.  So, now i will be seeing him perform twice in December.

The saddest song ever "So, What Would I Do"  Just tears me up. I mean such emotion and feeling. I love this album and the liner notes indicate that Joe is growing and realizes  time passing. Just a huge leap in talent and sound.  Another reason to love Joe.  Thank you Joe for sharing with us this journey of yours.

I can not express in words what your music means to me.
Your fan and cheerleader,
Mary