1 (edited by Twang 2014-09-09 08:50:51)

Topic: Amp volume and tone/how do you keep it consistent from room to room?

I currently gigging an old AC30 and I'm having a hard time getting it to the volume where the magic starts to happen. I use a plexiglass shield and still get yelled at about my stage volume. I saw Joe play Ramhead in Annapolis a while back and he didn't seem too loud at all. I've also played that room and and it's not very big so I had to watch my volume. How does Joe pull off cranking 100 watt amps without pissing off the FOH guys?

Thanks fellas!

Re: Amp volume and tone/how do you keep it consistent from room to room?

because its Joe and they know better.

3 (edited by njpaulc 2014-09-09 12:26:11)

30 watts is too loud?

(i realised after i posted that I added nothing th the discussion, but 30 watts, really?)

4 (edited by Twang 2014-09-09 13:08:14)

An AC30 turned up can get fairly loud for a smaller club. It sounds great to me but some of the people I work for have issues with the volume. I'm always working on improving my tone via practicing and through gear and experimentation. I've come to realize that pedals creating all the drive into a clean amp just doesn't cut it for me, I need the amp to do some of the work too. I use plexiglass but I'm still loud on stage compared to the other band members.

Maybe I should buy them earplugs. LOL

I use the GRAMMAs under my amps. At gigs, the PA guys know you're not a rag-tag outfit when you roll when those.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

I use the GRAMMAs under my amps. At gigs, the PA guys know you're not a rag-tag outfit when you roll when those.

I had to go look up what you were talking about.  I was pretty sure you weren't using old ladies as roadies but otherwise didn't have a clue.  Thanks.  Looks like SWMBO would appreciate if i got some for the house.

How is a Gramma pad going to solve my volume issues? It may help isolate the amp from the floor but it's not going to control volume.

njpaulc wrote:

30 watts is too loud?

(i realised after i posted that I added nothing th the discussion, but 30 watts, really?)

Where are you playing where you can crank an AC30 from night to night?

30 watts CAN be too loud in some circumstances... Playing a coffee shop with concrete and wood everywhere and you are going to be deafening the patrons and curdling the milk with the volume on '4'... wink

I'd suggest getting perhaps a 10W amp for the smaller venues...or, (and I am probably going to get lynched by the tube purists here), get a modelling solution like the Kemper or Axe-FX etc.

I've used an Axe-FX for a few years now, and I can get a really consistent tone from outdoor stages to the abovementioned small coffee shops and in my home studio...  I can get the 'Marshall on 11' or 'melting Bassman' type tones without killing small animals in my yard.

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Devan wrote:

30 watts CAN be too loud in some circumstances... Playing a coffee shop with concrete and wood everywhere and you are going to be deafening the patrons and curdling the milk with the volume on '4'... wink

I'd suggest getting perhaps a 10W amp for the smaller venues...or, (and I am probably going to get lynched by the tube purists here), get a modelling solution like the Kemper or Axe-FX etc.

I've used an Axe-FX for a few years now, and I can get a really consistent tone from outdoor stages to the abovementioned small coffee shops and in my home studio...  I can get the 'Marshall on 11' or 'melting Bassman' type tones without killing small animals in my yard.

"Without killing animals" love it yeah Kemper and Ax -fx are cool tools

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Adding a Gramma and some sort of shield will probably in conjunction help with some consistency from place to place but your stuff is gonna sound slightly different at different places and that's just the way it is.

I for one am sick of the seemingly ongoing thing of everyone whining about bands being too loud etc... Stay home and play trivial pursuit if you want to have a conversation. It's live music for Pete's sake.

12 (edited by Twang 2014-09-09 22:36:16)

helrazr84 wrote:

Adding a Gramma and some sort of shield will probably in conjunction help with some consistency from place to place but your stuff is gonna sound slightly different at different places and that's just the way it is.

I for one am sick of the seemingly ongoing thing of everyone whining about bands being too loud etc... Stay home and play trivial pursuit if you want to have a conversation. It's live music for Pete's sake.

Ha ha tell that to a complaining club own who pays you at the end of the night. I'm not JB, I'm just a guy gutting it out in the clubs. I've tried attenuators with my AC30 but they killed the tone, something to do with zero negative feedback in the circuit. I love playing loud as the ringing in my ears can testify. I pay my bills with music and I'm looking for ways to turn my amp up to the levels that inspire me w/o costing me work due to being too loud for the club. I agree that it stinks that clubs are not tolerating much amp volumes these days.

I may be to try a baffle in back of my amp to knock down the backwash.

Why not use less powerful amps?

15w is sometimes perfect for small gigs on bars or clubs...

14 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2014-09-10 08:08:35)

helrazr84 wrote:

Adding a Gramma and some sort of shield

I also use a plexiglass shield.
Plus a River Rock Crusher attenuator for my 100 watt head. I didn't notice too much tone alteration.

You can always turn your amp around too so it's not facing the crowd, although most people don't like the sound/look of that... but if you're desperate, it's a solution.

Line6 PODXT pedal through a PA might be your best bet with some nice floor monitors smile

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I have 5 watt amps, 15 watt amps, 50 watters, and 100 watters, all for different applications. Sometimes 1 amp just isn't enough, or it's to much.

Although buy a smaller amp is a great solution, we all know amps, like money, "don't grow on trees".  The problem is, amps like the AC30 are either on or off.  The taper of the volume pot leaves them sounding like full volume at a little over half, which, although I have never played one, I would imagine that's where the "sweet spot" is.  If it were me, I would go into a music store and start payinf 15 watt amps, find one I liked and then hit craigs list looking for bargins.  Another possible solution is a 15 watt head hooked up to the AC30 speakers, although I don't know if a head would be any cheaper.

After you finish buying baffles and blankets and pads, you'd probably could get a nice used 15 watt amp.

good luck

17 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2014-09-10 13:31:52)

Ryan Adams uses stacks of Princeton amps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbMY315Qp8

At the Marshall Class 5 launch, Joe bonamassa was plugged in to a bunch of those too.
http://youtu.be/Ce1fiU31MFU

I gig regularly, and the bottom line for us small club musicians is this.....louder isn't better, and nobody wants it. Not the audience, not the club owners, and not your fellow musicians/band mates.

You are not Joe, and I'm assuming your gigs aren't as such either. For us, our crowd wants to hear the band, but be able to socialize also. We have had a ton of club owners compliment us on our overall volume, and express their disdain for bands that can't/won't control it.

If you can't get the tone out of that amp without cranking it....find another amp. Sounds harsh, but, it is what it is.

One possible solution is to use the plexi shield, and side wash the amp. However, if you're  already overpowering your band mates, this probably won't be your answer.

I gig with a custom built Friedman BE. Dave was kind enough to build me a 50w, with a second master volume for the boost channel. I run a shield in front, and slightly side wash. If I had to dime it to make it sound good, I'd be after another amp. Too loud.

I have run several amps set ups, and let me just tell you one thing....if you get a different, lower watt amp, or one that you can be happy with by not cranking, the only one that will really notice is you.

Just to prove this to myself one night, instead of taking my 50w silver jubilee, Carol Ann 50w Triptik, my a/b switch, and my 4x12. I took a very basic setup. Didn't even give my band a heads up.

They arrived at the gig and gave a collective WTF? I took my 30w Orange dual terror, my 2x12 cab, and my pedal board. That's it. Now, I could tell the difference, and I really missed my rig on about 1/2 dozen songs, but guess what? NOBODY in our crowd noticed, and my band mates were amazed.

The lesson being, the whole tone thing is all about yourself. Nobody else really gives a **##. Lol. Sad, but true.

Look at all of the different rigs Joe uses. Amazing that Joe always sounds like Joe, right.

IMO, reconsider the situation and find a different amp. If you piss the club owners and your band off, you won't have any gigs anyway.