Re: Hammersmith Apollo March 2015

Hooameye wrote:

Can someone please post a link to the Classic Rock interview several people have mentioned?  What exactly did Roy say...???

Hiya

Send me a PM pls - I've taken a photo of the one column extract from the interview - will you it as an attachment......!!!

92 (edited by Rocket 2014-07-12 05:13:27)

I'll paraphrase: he said we'll make an effing lot of money. 

Some people took/take (mild or severe) umbrage.  Some considered it arrogant. neutral  In the context of the total independent ascendency which has brought great success to J & R adventures, I took it to mean their plans would continue to boldly go where no blues artist and team have gone before.  And bear no shame reaping the fruits of their labors.

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket wrote:

I'll paraphrase: he said we'll make an effing lot of money. 

Some people took/take (mild or severe) umbrage.  Some considered it arrogant. neutral  In the context of the total independent ascendency which has brought great success to J & R adventures, I took it to mean their plans would continue to boldly go where no blues artist and team have gone before.  And bear no shame reaping the fruits of their labors.

Rocket

Nothing wrong with reaping the fruits, even no need to justify it (by higher costs etc.), but I´m in doubt if it´s working beyond a certain border in the blues(rock)scene with its high emphasis on "credibility". Reading this (and other) threads and talking to people at concerts it looks like being on the edge.
Günter

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Rocket wrote:
Brack wrote:
Ian916 wrote:

- the flyers have yet to be distributed to all of the bankers in The City and Cannery Wharf yet....
- heard an advert for the shows on Planet Rock today.

Lol !!!
+ Yesterdays Evening Standard had a 10 x 5 " Ad

I of course have no idea what these jokes and ads are truly about, but I'd venture that they align with my previous posts' "...de boomers de bettor," which was a two-pronged poke 'n joke-boomers as in "baby boomers' of course, but also Boomers, as in those whose situations are "booming." wink 

A 10" by 5" ad points to another point to be pointedly considered while lamenting (or lambasting).  Once again, those who are tagging THEIR expenses onto things......  Don't go making greed a one or two person #@$@#...  It ain't JUST about people "just" glad to be going on about cultishly and/or freely (as in "cheaply') promoting Joe Bonamassa anymore.  Some are exercising their faith in business (AD)ventures.  THEIR price is sky high too.  Any wealthy individual wants to stay that way....

Wouldn't you?

For want of the the price of tea and a slice, the owed man cried roll Yeah, it sucks.  You heard the other news today, Ol' boy?!  Blues begets blues...........

I do not doubt your prediction, Brack, not one bit, given what seems to be an established, self-replicating predilection of Joe B fans worldwide.

SO, you aren't going to attend anymore!  The questions move on to whether one will turn into a raging beast about anything (past included?), present or future regarding Joe.  Will reviews (performance and/or recordings) have sharper teeth with a stronger scent of acerbic acid??? hmm  I may not make a show or "buy into" "anything & everything," I may not prefer a direction turned.  Or accept "changes" comfortably.  But I'll stick around to see what's around the mend regardless...

Rocket

ps-I have 2 words for Roy concerning that CR interview, since it was written in my dialect.  Right ON, Roy.

After reading a post from Rocket, I feel like the towns people of Rock Ridge after listening to an inspiring speech from Gabby Johnson, where the only proper and respectful response is "Rbptt"!!

The only thing we deserve, is an opportunity.  Everything else has to be earned.

Please excuse my ignorance but who is Roy and what is his connection to Joe?

Lester wrote:

his manager, - Joe’s success has come as a result of a 3 way relationship, - Joe, Roy and producer Kevin.

Rocket, my comment is that Joe’s ticket price MAY be taking him away from some of the fans that have over the years followed him extremely closely, buying up back catalogues, merchandise and as many tickets as they could, towards the nouveau riche guys that work in the banks trading, big bonus types whose mates have told them about some new guitarist on the scene who is as good as Clapton. Of course I am making a massive generalisation and this is slightly tongue in cheek but the sentiment rings true, - as I have seen the crowd change over the years. Joe’s success was not as a result of playing big high ticket price venues, he has been a hard working player whose success came as a result of hard working everyday people, not the rich "city boys” who may now be the ones to buy up the tickets. He is also an artist where you would see parents bringing their kids, as I did on every occasion I have seen him, - but we have now been priced out of that option, and that is a shame for me and my kids, but we will move on. Last year at RAH there were people around me who had not got a clue about what they were seeing or hearing, up and down to the bar, talking over the quiet songs. At Shepherds Bush Empire I witnessed some of the rudest most ignorant behaviour I have seen in a gig and that includes 80’s punk bands! The crowd have changed and will continue to do so. sad

In saying all of that I accept that I have no right to expect tickets be sold cheap just for me, but what this does perhaps highlight is that the fan club thing has never been set up properly which if it would have been might have provided a discount code or fan pre-sale, but instead Joe’s management look to have made a commercial deal with a commercial radio station, and paid out on a lot of VERY expensive advertising to attract in a new audience, - which is good but I fear that his management have got wrong because they have risked alienating his existing fans. It is classic new business verses account management. A lot of organisations spend a  money to go out and find new business whilst ignoring their existing customers who take their business elsewhere.

just to qualify something: I do not consider that I am saying anything negative about Joe, - my opinion is that every time he comes on stage he gives his audience 100% regardless of what has been paid for a ticket. And he has worked extremely hard over the years to get to be as good as he is so deserves every penny he can earn. He has to trust in his management who have got him to where he is, this could be a crossroads moment and I am not convinced that they have got it right.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

Thanks Ian.
As with any business, the management will charge what they feel the market will support.
The rising cost of tickets is always an issue when new dates are released in the UK.
Personally, I will wait and see what the new CD brings to the table before committing to the 2015 dates.
It is a pity that what could be a great event has started in a rather negative fashion.

Lester

Ian916 wrote:
Lester wrote:

his manager, - Joe’s success has come as a result of a 3 way relationship, - Joe, Roy and producer Kevin.

Rocket, my comment is that Joe’s ticket price MAY be taking him away from some of the fans that have over the years followed him extremely closely, buying up back catalogues, merchandise and as many tickets as they could, towards the nouveau riche guys that work in the banks trading, big bonus types whose mates have told them about some new guitarist on the scene who is as good as Clapton. Of course I am making a massive generalisation and this is slightly tongue in cheek but the sentiment rings true, - as I have seen the crowd change over the years. Joe’s success was not as a result of playing big high ticket price venues, he has been a hard working player whose success came as a result of hard working everyday people, not the rich "city boys” who may now be the ones to buy up the tickets. He is also an artist where you would see parents bringing their kids, as I did on every occasion I have seen him, - but we have now been priced out of that option, and that is a shame for me and my kids, but we will move on. Last year at RAH there were people around me who had not got a clue about what they were seeing or hearing, up and down to the bar, talking over the quiet songs. At Shepherds Bush Empire I witnessed some of the rudest most ignorant behaviour I have seen in a gig and that includes 80’s punk bands! The crowd have changed and will continue to do so. sad

In saying all of that I accept that I have no right to expect tickets be sold cheap just for me, but what this does perhaps highlight is that the fan club thing has never been set up properly which if it would have been might have provided a discount code or fan pre-sale, but instead Joe’s management look to have made a commercial deal with a commercial radio station, and paid out on a lot of VERY expensive advertising to attract in a new audience, - which is good but I fear that his management have got wrong because they have risked alienating his existing fans. It is classic new business verses account management. A lot of organisations spend a  money to go out and find new business whilst ignoring their existing customers who take their business elsewhere.

just to qualify something: I do not consider that I am saying anything negative about Joe, - my opinion is that every time he comes on stage he gives his audience 100% regardless of what has been paid for a ticket. And he has worked extremely hard over the years to get to be as good as he is so deserves every penny he can earn. He has to trust in his management who have got him to where he is, this could be a crossroads moment and I am not convinced that they have got it right.

This class envy attitude is very disturbing.  It clouds the issue, to no avail.  I too hate to see people that have supported Joe get priced out of the market, however, bemoaning the fact that only "rich city boys" can afford to see Joe instead of "hard working everyday people" shows a lack of understanding of reality.  I would assume you would consider me a wealthy.  I come from a family where my father was a teacher and my mother was a stay at home mom.  I started working when I was 12 years old.  That was 50 years ago.  My wife and I own our own business and have for 30 years.  We each work 12-15 hours a days outside in the hot Florida sun.  Many of my friends and business associates are wealthy and have similar stories.  While I would like everyone to be able to see Joe, I will gladly pay $200 per ticket or more to sit in the front row and know that I have earned it.

The only thing we deserve, is an opportunity.  Everything else has to be earned.

Where does it end though?

As I put in one of my earlier posts, Yes I want to see Joe. Yes, I have the money to buy a ticket but Im not going to because £120 is taking the piss.
If these shows sell out, will it be £175 next time? £250 on the tour after that?

Some of you on here have got your tickets, great, fill your boots, I hope you enjoy the show but Im not prepared to pay such an amount when I could go and see 3 or 4 shows of another artist for the cost of 1 Bonama$$a ticket.

I could use a little more cowbell

Not sure there is a need to bring personal background, up-bringing or finances to the forum.
I wouldn't mind living in Florida though!

Lester..

Ian916 wrote:

might have provided a discount code or fan pre-sale, but instead Joe’s management look to have made a commercial deal with a commercial radio station, and paid out on a lot of VERY expensive advertising to attract in a new audience, - which is good but I fear that his management have got wrong because they have risked alienating his existing fans. It is classic new business verses account management. A lot of organisations spend a  money to go out and find new business whilst ignoring their existing customers who take their business elsewhere.

Ian, this rang a bell with me.  Seems to happen in lots of businesses.  The wireless cell phone providers that offer terrific discounts to new customers while doing absolutely nothing for those who have been with them 10 years, to the tv cable companies new special deals, to hair salons "Only for new clients" offers, etc. etc., the rush to acquire new "accounts" becomes overpowering and is in many cases necessary for survival of the organization.

Having said that, when it comes to Joe, pricing decisions walk a fine line.  He is absolutely going to take over the world and I will be cheering him on every step of the way.  We all acknowledge he totally deserves it.

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

bobkatmsu I can assure you it is not class envy, and I am sorry if my comments come across that way. I have many friends from many different backgrounds including a couple of city bankers, -  so can assure you that I have no chip on my shoulder about the have’s and have nots. My comments are social observation based on my experiences - I have met many of Joe’s fans at gigs and some of them I would class as good friends, - just regular people like myself. - We have an issue her in the UK that it is “us” in the middle that have been squeezed hardest by a Government who appear to lack experience, - we have shifted for the first time to a parliament made of career politicians who have themselves never done a hard days work so it appears have made some very strange governance decisions.

anyway enough from me on this debate I fear that it looks too negative. And this forum is funded by Joe, so he deserves respect for allowing us opportunity to put across our points and I fear that I have said too much on this topic already.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

The London Hammersmith shows next year hopefully wont be the only shows Joe does in the UK in 2015.
But I am not to happy at the ticket pricing I have read about for these shows.
£117 for a seat, this is a lot of money and will price a lot of fans out of seeing Joe Live.
I have seen Joe 3 times live and he is BRILLIANT LIVE, but people only have so much money. I really hope I get to see Joe live again soon ,we really love you in Bournemouth Joe plug plug.

My prediction: the Tuesday and possibly Thursday nights will be cancelled or ticket prices will be heavily discounted as next March approaches.

to put things in perspective GET ME IN tickets are selling tix for Lady GAGA at o2 on sun 26 oct block 102 at the bargain price of £440 I kid you not NUFF SAID

106 (edited by Rocket 2014-07-13 12:44:52)

Hooameye wrote:

My prediction: the Tuesday and possibly Thursday nights will be cancelled or ticket prices will be heavily discounted as next March approaches.

MY prediction?!  That your prediction will prove false.  To qualify, I have thoughts that because of the success of Tour de Force, outlying cities may be left out of future touring for preference of a multi-night London stand.  Possibly as a normal UK appearance routine.  Not necessarily as permanently etched in stone, but more like promoters (they pay the bills) realize it ¢o$t less, and people can get to London with relative ease.  I doubt outlying cities would ever be completely shunned, just made to be an exception visit made rather than regularly.  Perhaps several years apart, even very many in some cases.  Sure, people might bemoan the fact they cannot make the trip at "those" prices, especially when they could be returning to their own domicile shortly thereafter back home.  But, if demand is great enough in a certain city, who is to say that "every now and then" a local show gets booked.  Perhaps those many years apart?!  We in the US of A pretty much flat expect this sort of treatment.  And not just from huge acts.  I know BB King would gauge his audiences by their reaction to the evening's performance, and, when it was tremendous, he would beg the question, in his inimitable gracious and humble style (after thanking everyone, from the heart, "you make us feel so good Ladies and Gentlemen"), "can we come back here next year?!", or, in some markets, "can we keep coming back here?!" big_smile. Think that over.  That applies worldwide, and especially to the US of A even moreso!!! hmm

Rock ON & Keep A Mustered Seed Of Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

107 (edited by Hooameye 2014-07-13 14:28:37)

>>people can get to London with relative ease<<

You obviously have little if any experience of travel in the UK.  The millions who live in the North, West Country, Scotland etc... would beg to differ.  Traveling to London for a night out from those places is rarely an option on both cost and time grounds.  I happen to live just 55 miles from Hammersmith, but with the traffic being what it is, it can (and has on occasion) taken over 2.5 hours to get there.   If you are right and Joe were to restrict his live shows to London in the future, it would just further alienate the fan base elsewhere in the UK.

My daughter was at the Lady Gaga concert in Toronto this past week.  VIP packages topped out at $1500...sold out.  Next level was $500...sold out.  And so on. 

I would love for Joe to come here, not likely to happen.  I would love for Joe to come close to here, not likely to happen.  But it could.  In the mean time I am planning/saving to see him live somewhere.  I would love cheaper tickets, someday they might go down.  I have seen many artists here in town for some decent prices.  If it is too much I just won't go see them...but I still like their music.

Relatively speaking!

Steve

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio...among others.
Beacon Theater, New York, May 18, 2013/Keeping The Blues Alive at Sea, Feb. 17-21, 2015/3 Kings Tour, Bangor, ME, Aug. 12, 2015