Topic: Another new member from Massachusetts

Hi all,

I've lurked for a while, but took my son to see Joe in Providence a few days ago, and I have to share what a great experience it was.

[This ended up super long. tl;dr version is "Hi all. Great show May 15 at PPAC!"]

The last real (i.e, loud and rocking, not a jazz club or school recital :-) concert I'd been to was Blues Traveler in 1995, with my future wife. Fast forward almost two decades, three kids, and a fun midlife crisis that introduced me to electric guitar (and G.A.S.), I decided it was time to find a sitter and take my wife out. I decided about 6 months ago that I wanted to learn how to play electric guitar, so after borrowing a friend's unused guitar briefly, bought a Les Paul and tweed amp on eBay. Then my 12 year old son wanted to learn too, and after a trial period with a borrowed guitar to show that he would stick to it, I bought him a Les Paul Studio.

6 months in and I'm playing scales and simpler riffs, and my son is picking his way through Stairway to Heaven, learned Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit in his lessons, and plays all the time! Awesome!

I had gotten two passes to the show and M&G, and as the date arrived, by chance my wife and I had seen Kenny Wayne Shephard on Guitar Center Sessions talk about how seeing Stevie Ray Vaughan was a pivotal event in his life. So my lovely wife said that seeing Joe had the potential to be very significant to our son, and gave up her seat for him to go instead.

The M&G is understandably quick since there is a large group waiting, but it was very cool to see him ask my son about his own playing. Adolescence can be hard, and playing music is looking like it might be my son's thing, the aspect of his life and himself in which he feels more comfortable. That's the reason we thought this would be great for him.

We get to to our seats to find we are in the front row! A bunch of us in that section were marveling over the seats, when a man came up and introduced himself to my son and I, and said he was a friend of Joe's. He was very nice and asked my son about playing guitar, then shocked us both by giving my son a signed Bonamassa Epiphone Les Paul. We were both completely overwhelmed with excitement, and it took us a few moments to completely understand that he was really giving my son the guitar.

And I had already been prepared to emphasize to my son that sitting in the front row is a rare event, and now I have to make sure he doesn't think all concert experiences are like this. :-)

I'll write another post about the show itself later, since this is already approaching chapter length. :) I will say that even with that build up, the show still blew us both away. That Joe and the band play with that level of energy, intensity, and passion 200 nights a year is impressive as hell.

This afternoon my son blew off playing outside with us to go inside, despite the ideal weather, and when I came in for lunch I heard the riff from Jockey Full of Bourbon upstairs. He's also been playing pieces of John Henry and a couple others. I wouldn't be shocked to find him sleeping with the guitar in his bed with him. :-)

So my wife was right. This was extremely significant for my son, in addition to being a flat out killer concert. It's unlikely (but possible!) that my son will achieve fame and be interviewed about his influences, but if that happens I bet this gets a mention.

So thank you Joe, for your music and a fantastic show, and please thank your friend for picking my son. And I already told my wife that I'm taking him again to Springfield MA in November. So we'll see you there.

Re: Another new member from Massachusetts

That is a great first post and glad your son had such a defining fiirst experience of Joe and his generosity. This is a great crowd of friends and enthusiasts. Welcome... big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Wow, that is absolutely awesome!!  Welcome to the forum!! 

Like you and your son, I have also (very recently) decided to take up learning to play guitar.  It's something that I have wanted to do for a very, very long time but never pulled the trigger.  Joe is/was my inspiration for finally moving forward on this bucket list item.  I'm hooked now.  I hope that you and your son find as much inspiration from him as I do.

Again, welcome to the board!!  Enjoy the great conversation and great, supportive people!!

4 (edited by Rusty 2014-05-19 11:17:37)

Welcome from another member from Massachusetts. I really like stories like yours. I'm so glad you and you son found Joe and we able to see him perform. And to get a gift of a guitar, how cool is that!! I've been playing guitar for many years, but Joe's music has inspired me to upgrade my gear (Gibson Les Paul & Marshall Amp) and work to become a better player. I hope you and your son stick with it.

I'll be going to my second Joe concert in November, also going to a M&G

Congratulations on the new guitar!

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

Welcome to the forum.

What a wonderful story.

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

Hi...welcome to the group.....enjoy all of the topics here

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

7 (edited by cindyron 2014-05-19 12:16:15)

timb wrote:

Hi all,

I've lurked for a while, but took my son to see Joe in Providence a few days ago, and I have to share what a great experience it was.

[This ended up super long. tl;dr version is "Hi all. Great show May 15 at PPAC!"]

The last real (i.e, loud and rocking, not a jazz club or school recital :-) concert I'd been to was Blues Traveler in 1995, with my future wife. Fast forward almost two decades, three kids, and a fun midlife crisis that introduced me to electric guitar (and G.A.S.), I decided it was time to find a sitter and take my wife out. I decided about 6 months ago that I wanted to learn how to play electric guitar, so after borrowing a friend's unused guitar briefly, bought a Les Paul and tweed amp on eBay. Then my 12 year old son wanted to learn too, and after a trial period with a borrowed guitar to show that he would stick to it, I bought him a Les Paul Studio.

6 months in and I'm playing scales and simpler riffs, and my son is picking his way through Stairway to Heaven, learned Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit in his lessons, and plays all the time! Awesome!

I had gotten two passes to the show and M&G, and as the date arrived, by chance my wife and I had seen Kenny Wayne Shephard on Guitar Center Sessions talk about how seeing Stevie Ray Vaughan was a pivotal event in his life. So my lovely wife said that seeing Joe had the potential to be very significant to our son, and gave up her seat for him to go instead.

The M&G is understandably quick since there is a large group waiting, but it was very cool to see him ask my son about his own playing. Adolescence can be hard, and playing music is looking like it might be my son's thing, the aspect of his life and himself in which he feels more comfortable. That's the reason we thought this would be great for him.

We get to to our seats to find we are in the front row! A bunch of us in that section were marveling over the seats, when a man came up and introduced himself to my son and I, and said he was a friend of Joe's. He was very nice and asked my son about playing guitar, then shocked us both by giving my son a signed Bonamassa Epiphone Les Paul. We were both completely overwhelmed with excitement, and it took us a few moments to completely understand that he was really giving my son the guitar.

And I had already been prepared to emphasize to my son that sitting in the front row is a rare event, and now I have to make sure he doesn't think all concert experiences are like this. :-)

I'll write another post about the show itself later, since this is already approaching chapter length. smile I will say that even with that build up, the show still blew us both away. That Joe and the band play with that level of energy, intensity, and passion 200 nights a year is impressive as hell.

This afternoon my son blew off playing outside with us to go inside, despite the ideal weather, and when I came in for lunch I heard the riff from Jockey Full of Bourbon upstairs. He's also been playing pieces of John Henry and a couple others. I wouldn't be shocked to find him sleeping with the guitar in his bed with him. :-)

So my wife was right. This was extremely significant for my son, in addition to being a flat out killer concert. It's unlikely (but possible!) that my son will achieve fame and be interviewed about his influences, but if that happens I bet this gets a mention.

So thank you Joe, for your music and a fantastic show, and please thank your friend for picking my son. And I already told my wife that I'm taking him again to Springfield MA in November. So we'll see you there.

Hi
Great to meet you and your son and I must say I am replying only because I am overwhelmed by the support you are giving your son. He could not have a better role model then Joe. Speaking to your son I could see that spark in his eyes, awesome. The comment in your email just makes me ecstatic it was my pleasure to give the guitar.
"This afternoon my son blew off playing outside with us to go inside, despite the ideal weather, and when I came in for lunch I heard the riff from Jockey Full of Bourbon upstairs. He's also been playing pieces of John Henry and a couple others. I wouldn't be shocked to find him sleeping with the guitar in his bed with him. :-)

This makes it all worth it. For me it is about the music and "Keeping the Blues Alive"
You rock cheers and enjoy
Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Tears in my eyes from reading this post.  The generosity of my bonabuddies is amazing.   How wonderful for your son. Wow.  Another reason to love Joe and his fans.

wow what a great first post! Joe has changed a lot of lives here that's for sure! Not only is Joe the best, but his fans are some of the best people i've ever met. So awesome to hear your son and you have found an awesome hobby such as playing guitar. I also started playing because Joe influenced me so much! As for the gift of the guitar...WOW! There are some really amazing people out there, although I think I know who it is i'll keep my mouth shut. smile So happy to have you here and post often!!

"That is cooler than a polar bears butt in an arse draggin' contest!" 

What a great first post and such a great experience to share with your son.  Welcome to the forum!

Steve

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio...among others.
Beacon Theater, New York, May 18, 2013/Keeping The Blues Alive at Sea, Feb. 17-21, 2015/3 Kings Tour, Bangor, ME, Aug. 12, 2015

Now THAT is a great story. Respect to all concerned!

Even fools say something worthwhile now and again

12 (edited by Buzzy 2014-05-19 15:48:52)

Wonderful review .. awesome story Tim!

Truly one of life's "I remember when .. moments .." smile

Read the story 3 times (yeah, I'm a sap .. lol) .. and each time it tugged a bit more on the heart strings .. great stuff!

A single act of kindness can change lives .. so influential on the young .. a win, win for all!

I'm sure the lad will be grinnin for weeks to come .. lol

Congrats on a wonderful JB experience! cool

PS: To whom this may concern .. Bless u .. wink
Kindness .. like a boomerang .. always returns!

(Edited) Oops .. forgot .. Welcome to the forum Tim .. lol

The BonaMaritimer .. All Dials To The Right!

Greetings,

Very cool indeed....Ron is a ROCKSTAR himself.........nice meeting you and talking about Caribou, of all places, lol........one day we might be watching your son rip it up on stage!!!!!

Jay

Self-Professed "GOLDIE" Nut-Job!!!!

JBLP #267

Thanks everyone, and especially Ron and Jay.

Guitar must be contagious, as it seems to be passing through my house like the flu. My youngest is 5, and "earned" his new guitar today. (I tried to post a link, but I must be under a minimum post count for that, though I can't find mention of it anywhere. I get "Too more links in message. Allowed 0 links. Reduce number of links and post it again." I'll just find a few more interesting things to add, then I'll show off pictures of my kids being cooler than I've ever been. smile

His new guitar is a 3/4 scale ESP Viper-JR. ESP had made a Kirk Hammett 3/4 scale signature guitar, but that was no longer made, and I couldn't find one used. Mom's not a metal fan, but how can you not love skull and crossbones fret inlays? (google "ESP KH-JR". It's cool. smile

Mom has a spotify playlist for him, that he has had her fill that with AC/DC, Metallica, and Led Zeppelin, but the other day he asked her to add a few Bonamassa songs after hearing them. I exposed him to Zeppelin through a Page/Clapton "station" I have on Pandora, and he gravitated to the heavier side of rock himself. I am an old AC/DC fan, and I showed my him and my other two sons my vinyl copy of Back in Black from high school.

tim

What a great story! One more instance of Joe and fans making the experience more than the music.
Welcome to the forum, please keep us apprised of the son's progress.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

This is a great story. 

timb wrote:

Hi all,

I'll write another post about the show itself later, since this is already approaching chapter length. smile I will say that even with that build up, the show still blew us both away. That Joe and the band play with that level of energy, intensity, and passion 200 nights a year is impressive as hell.

I don't usually check the Introductions forum, but I'm glad I did in this case so I could read this super cool story smile!!

Next generation of JBs in the making??!!

Hi timb, best story ever!  You, your son, and our Cindyron make quite the team!

Very nice to have you here.

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy