1 (edited by rdawsoniii 2014-04-17 09:21:24)

Topic: For those who have been to a meet & greet....

Will have my first (and probably only) meet & greet with Joe tomorrow in Des Moines.  What are appropriate questions that:

1.  won't make a 55 year old man look like a doofus

2.  aren't the same boring questions he gets at every m & g

Any other suggestions re: etiquette, etc?

2 (edited by wvgirlinky 2014-04-17 10:23:39)

Re: For those who have been to a meet & greet....

Great question that I wish I had asked prior to my meet and greet.
I too was afraid I would screw up.  Remember Joe has done this thousands of times so it will be ok.

Make sure you take something to have him sign.  I took the Liner notes( insert) from a couple of the tour de force dvd sets for him to sign.  He is really  very unassuming and kind of shy.

If you have a guitar for him to sign he will be very chatty.   In fact they came thru the line before the meet and greet started looking for any historic guitars.

We had a gift for him which he liked .  Gave him some liquor and some goofy socks that he actually wore later when he played. (Really cool for us)

As he was signing the liner notes for the TDF Royal Albert hall show we asked him about playing Gary Moore' s guitar.  He was very detailed in his response.  I think if you stick to music or guitars you can't go wrong.   He also likes to collect music related antiques etc.  Often tweets about items he has scored in his visits to pawn shops and guitar shops around the venues he plays.  Remember it only lasts a few minutes.

Take a camera to document the moment.  Clay his road/tour manager will be there to take the photo for you.   Best advice, just try to relax.  I was so nervous I literally can't remember all of it.  He is a great guy.   Kind of cool to meet him upclose and personal and then see him perform.  It's a total transformation.

One last thing, Be at the meet and greet location early or as close to  the time they give you.   Listen to Bob, the crew member that takes you to the Meet and Greet location.  He is very nice.  Remember Joe is on a schedule, he does sound check, meet and greet, dinner then the show.  A lot to pack into one night.  Hope this helps.    Can't wait to hear how it goes

3 (edited by rdawsoniii 2014-04-17 10:49:51)

wvgirlinky wrote:

Great question that I wish I had asked prior to my meet and greet.
I too was afraid I would screw up.  Remember Joe has done this thousands of times so it will be ok.

Make sure you take something to have him sign.  I took the Liner notes( insert) from a couple of the tour de force dvd sets for him to sign.  He is really  very unassuming and kind of shy.

If you have a guitar for him to sign he will be very chatty.   In fact they came thru the line before the meet and greet started looking for any historic guitars.

We had a gift for him which he liked .  Gave him some liquor and some goofy socks that he actually wore later when he played. (Really cool for us)

As he was signing the liner notes for the TDF Royal Albert hall show we asked him about playing Gary Moore' s guitar.  He was very detailed in his response.  I think if you stick to music or guitars you can't go wrong.   He also likes to collect music related antiques etc.  Often tweets about items he has scored in his visits to pawn shops and guitar shops around the venues he plays.  Remember it only lasts a few minutes.

Take a camera to document the moment.  Clay his road/tour manager will be there to take the photo for you.   Best advice, just try to relax.  I was so nervous I literally can't remember all of it.  He is a great guy.   Kind of cool to meet him upclose and personal and then see him perform.  It's a total transformation.

One last thing, Be at the meet and greet location early or as close to  the time they give you.   Listen to Bob, the crew member that takes you to the Meet and Greet location.  He is very nice.  Remember Joe is on a schedule, he does sound check, meet and greet, dinner then the show.  A lot to pack into one night.  Hope this helps.    Can't wait to hear how it goes

Great!  Just the info I wanted.

I'll probably only bring a CD for him to sign.

As for questions...I've seen the picture of his guitar collection, and there is one particular instrument that caught my eye.  I'll probably ask him about that.

Just relax Joe is very down to earth.
Enjoy
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

cindyron wrote:

Just relax Joe is very down to earth.
Enjoy
Cheers Ron

Ah well...easier said than done.  I'm sure it will be fine.  Of course, if I want to look like a real idiot I could bring my banjo for him to sign! smile

My only piece of advice, if needed.... Just be yourself! smile

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

7 (edited by rubyjt 2014-04-17 13:46:01)

Oh Lord, knowing me, I'd probably trip and fall. Not good with celebrities. I shared in another thread about meeting Russell Crowe and I basically stared at the floor, shook his hand and took off. Duh.....

How do you get your mouth to work in these situations? I know virtually nothing about guitars.......does anyone ever ask him what book he's reading, etc. I"m afraid I won't be speaking English.....

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Berthold Auerbach

8 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2014-04-17 14:21:34)

Depends if you're a local... might ask them where they got lunch or if he's been getting any sleep lately. Sometimes casual conversation turns into a chuckle or two. I would definitely introduce yourself as someone who posts on the forum.

I myself have met him probably 8 times now, and I always introduce myself the same way. "NPB from the forums" or "Nic from Detroit" ironically I hardly ever M&G him in Detroit, LOL... but he usually remembers me from the posting in the forums so much. And Joe, he has a memory like a steel trap, so I doubt I have to keep introducing myself like that - but it never hurts to say who you are so they don't have to wonder or feel like they "should" know you for some reason.

Last time we talked, fans were flabbergasted when he asked me how I liked my latest guitar purchase. I posted photos on the forum and he remembered that. Some fans at the M&G probably thought he knows me personally. lol The guy pays attention to what goes on on this forum, make no mistake about that.

In closing, I would stay away from any questions you could find by doing a search on this forum, like what kind of guitar pick he uses or what his favorite guitar amplifier is, etc. Even if you DID ask that, he'd probably tell you his favorite stage amp "of the week" and maybe also his favorite amp for playing on the couch. So even if your question is an old standard he might find a new way to answer it.

The fact is we are lucky to have a short conversation with someone who is not only a hard worker, but friendly to fans from over 1,000's of stories many of us could tell. M&Gs can be a chore at times when a schedule like his is so hectic, so I prefer to keep it casual and talk to him like any other person. The signature and photograph is cool, but just to be able to shake his hand and chat for a few seconds is the part I don't forget.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

9 (edited by DougH 2014-04-17 14:31:35)

I've had him sign my guitar (way cool), JB baseball cap, cd liner and (ehmm) an 'authorized' JB music book.
Joe chuckled on the 'authorized' part since he said he can't read music, "that's for 'real' musicians"
I'd give up learning to note reading to play like him.

unless he's changed his tastes lately.. Red wine is the drink of choice.

remember, in the meet'n'greet a DSLR (or camera with detachable lens is ok) but not for show.. you'll have to stick with a "point'n'shoot" camera

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

10 (edited by rubyjt 2014-04-17 14:37:00)

I know that most bands do this kind of thing but even so....I"ve seen videos of him at these things and he's always so responsive and friendly. Not just the perfunctory answers.

I wouldnt' know a pick from an amp anyway. I"m lucky I can turn on the computer much less know anything about guitars or the like. At my age I'm lucky if my socks match.

Last time we talked, fans were flabbergasted when he asked me how I liked my latest guitar purchase. I posted photos on the forum and he remembered that. Some fans at the M&G probably thought he knows me personally.  The guy pays attention to what goes on on this forum, make no mistake about that.

I've heard he remembers people.....wow. Amazing. Hopefully this will happen to me too. And I don't trip over him. Sigh

Berthold Auerbach

11 (edited by rubyjt 2014-04-17 14:39:12)

DougH wrote:

I've had him sign my guitar (way cool), JB baseball cap, cd liner and (ehmm) an 'authorized' JB music book.
Joe chuckled on the 'authorized' part since he said he can't read music, "that's for 'real' musicians"
I'd give up learning to note reading to play like him.

unless he's changed his tastes lately.. Red wine is the drink of choice.

remember, in the meet'n'greet a DSLR (or camera with detachable lens is ok) but not for show.. you'll have to stick with a "point'n'shoot" camera

you're kidding, he doesn't know how to read music? I assumed he did

Oh I've heard about the red wine thing. LOL

Berthold Auerbach

He signed my goldtop in Charlotte (one of 300) and the next night, at his next stop, he signed another guitar for me. He not only remembered me from the previous signing, but also remembered the serial number of the guitar. Yeah, he's got a good memory.

JBLP (aged) 293, JBLP STD, JB ES-335, JBLP Studio, JBLP Goldtop Epi, JBLP Inverness Green Epi.

holy crap.....that is good

Berthold Auerbach

I really need to do a meet and greet.....I have e-mailed Eric about getting some flyers for the Columbus, Ohio show nov. 29th....but never heard back  sad

If I have too.....I will buy a meet & greet.

Joe just seems so down to earth, and it is so refreshing to see someone like that.

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

I was just reading an interview with Sandi Thom and she said he's a completely different person on stage than he is in RL...just a regular guy

Berthold Auerbach

I was a semi-decent professional athlete, back in the day.  I have been around, all pro, Heisman winners and Hall of Fame players for many, many years.  I am not "star struck" easily.  The two people, in the world, I would like to have lunch with is Joe and the Pope.  Preferably together.

The only thing we deserve, is an opportunity.  Everything else has to be earned.

Oh look at this topic!  Just today, I signed up for a M&G Dec 5 in Columbia, SC.  I've got all this time in front of me to think up something less than dumb to ask him, assuming I can speak something other than humina humina big_smile

Thanks for the insight!

Lots of good tips...thanks to everyone.

I have one or two questions I think will be ok.  Going to bring an acoustic electric guitar for him to sign (don't have an electric anymore), and a CD.  And a camera of course.